Dozer Piles

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Dozer Piles

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 am

Having some land cleared and was wondering how long I should wait until I burn the piles. Was planning on waiting until this fall but read in another forum that they burn as soon as they pile them. Anyone have much experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated!
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Dozer Piles

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:01 am

If you have something Dry to pile it will get them started . I would just pile a few tires then build on top of that then soak in diesel fuel. but the tree huggers and the EPA loose their mind when you do that they will get hot enough to burn . If you think its too wet then wait a few weeks the small limbs and leaves will make good tender to get them hot .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Having some land cleared and was wondering how long I should wait until I burn the piles. Was planning on waiting until this fall but read in another forum that they burn as soon as they pile them. Anyone have much experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated!

At three weeks will burn like you poured gasoline on them.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:08 am

Depends a little on what's in the pile. If its a mix of logging debris and green junk I try to burn asap. Some claim its better to let it dry but while its drying the pile is also settling and this makes burning the pile hard unless you have equipment on site to fluff the pile. I'd also suggest going by the dollar store and buying a few of those imitation fire logs they sell. These are great fire starters and should be on sale right now. Just toss on in downwind side of the pile and walk away.

Edit: the fire logs are cheaper than tires. Tires will run you $2000 per tire if you get caught and those steel belts make getting caught pretty easy. Tires do a good job though but they can get expensive.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:13 am

When cut a tree composition starts to change and from around the 7th to the 11th day according to the time of year they burn great. Get it over with while its hot and dry.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 am

Burn it as soon as you can. Soak a bale of straw with diesel. Put it down wind. Bring a leaf blower to send the heat where it's needed.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 am

I use those little fire logs you can buy at the big box store like Lowe's and Home Depot.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 am

I use a propane tank and a pear burner along with a little diesel.
Cedar will burn like he'll about 12 hours after it hits the ground. But if you wait several days it gets hard to burn and you best waiting for it to dry out.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SteppedInIt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Down here on the gulf coast I have to wait several months for a pile of green stuff to dry out enough to burn without babysitting it and using a lot of diesel. What I am talking about is getting the trunks of -8" trees to burn. You can go light a pile and maybe get the branches and leaves to burn off and be left with a pile of burnt logs. What I do now is, let it dry for 3 months or more, light it off with a splash of diesel and walk away. Burns it up good, logs and all. It also depends if the trees were pushed down in the dormancy of winter when the sap is gone. These you can burn quicker. If you push over trees in the spring/summer that are full of water, your going to have a tough time and it takes longer to dry.
0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Pine/hardwood mix will dry for about a month here, but after that, if it rains a lot, the stuff starts soaking up moisture again.
I waited over a year before I burned some of my stuff in hottest part of summer..left from logging, and it burned like crazy.
The biggest part of each pile burned in one night, while it took a couple of days to a week thru late August for the real big oak pieces (12"-20" diameter) to ember away.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 pm

When I clear land I start a fire first thing and push a tree top to the fire. You need to start slow and after a hour you can't put the fire out.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:When I clear land I start a fire first thing and push a tree top to the fire. You need to start slow and after a hour you can't put the fire out.

If atmospheric pressure is pretty high, they'll sure create their own wind too.
(I like some humidity when I'm burning tho)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:29 pm

i like to leave the piles out for a few weeks until the leaves are brown. doesn't take much for them to burn.

always nice to burn and keep on adding. I usually like to have a fire going for at least 2 weeks straight :D
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Here if I did burn this time of year I might end up burning the whole country side. And there is always a burn ban this time of year. I throw an old tarp or some haylage wrap on top to keep it dry. Then wait until November when I can burn. The dry portion of the pile will take right off and burn the rest of the pile with it.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 pm

NEED TO CHECK THE LOCAL LAWS.
We had a guy here was going to burn this week and he got slapped down because there is a burn ban in effect until October...
fire marshall shut him down before he lit it.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”