Dozer Piles

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Re: Dozer Piles

Postby pdfangus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 pm

NEED TO CHECK THE LOCAL LAWS.
We had a guy here was going to burn this week and he got slapped down because there is a burn ban in effect until October...
fire marshall shut him down before he lit it.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Having some land cleared and was wondering how long I should wait until I burn the piles. Was planning on waiting until this fall but read in another forum that they burn as soon as they pile them. Anyone have much experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated!

Only cleared land once and waited for the wood to dry before setting it. Been a few years but didn't take those piles long to burn. Dozer operator did a great job of piling the timber, didn't have much dirt in it and it really burned hot and fast.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks for all the feedback! BF im going to try the diesel soaked straw bale and leaf blower.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 am

I wait a couple months. I like to re-push them before I light them also. It packs tighter after it dries. If I do that there will be nothing left. Couple days later I will disk it smooth. It will be the greenest spot in the pasture after the next rain.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Thanks for all the feedback! BF im going to try the diesel soaked straw bale and leaf blower.

Old 5 gal buckets burn pretty hot too..just toss a few in after you have a small fire burning...doesn't hurt a bit if they happen to have old motor or hyd oil in them either. ;-)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:27 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Having some land cleared and was wondering how long I should wait until I burn the piles. Was planning on waiting until this fall but read in another forum that they burn as soon as they pile them. Anyone have much experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on your Local... Weather... Etc I do alot of clearing for my business and if its dry like it is here I haul it home and pile it up until we are not as dry and typically burn while its raining. Before striking a match make sure with your county on permits and such.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I wait a couple months. I like to re-push them before I light them also. It packs tighter after it dries. If I do that there will be nothing left. Couple days later I will disk it smooth. It will be the greenest spot in the pasture after the next rain.

All it takes to get those good piles going is a couple of empty beer cases and maybe one feed sack and a little diesel..then back up.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 pm

I have to wait atleast a month or 2 for mesquite. I can go through 10 gallons of diesel and still have green trunks left. I have about 10 piles right now. One is so big it will show flames all the way to Austin when I light it. I am waiting for a really wet season. With the wildfires the last few years in Tx I am nervous lightin all these suckers. Going to watch all the copperhead and rattlesnakes come pouring out when I do.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 pm

I didn't read all th post but in the summer between 7 and 11 days if stacked right the will burn like they are soaked in gas. Just light them off with a Bic. No Diesle or oil or tires. It's spooky how fast they take off.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:24 am

jedstivers wrote:I didn't read all th post but in the summer between 7 and 11 days if stacked right the will burn like they are soaked in gas. Just light them off with a Bic. No Diesle or oil or tires. It's spooky how fast they take off.

Yep. All these pics taken the same day. Started about 10:am one morning:

Wife lit one with a cig lighter.

then another one..

before sunset the same day.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”