Termite attack

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
CindSein
Beginner
Beginner

Termite attack

Postby CindSein » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 am

Hi friends,
Termite Attack! Seriously my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood. Although I sprayed a termiticide, it didn't work. Now mulling over changing the wardrobe. What type of material would be termite proof? It was saddening when my favorite floral dress which I bought from Burberry was under termite attack. It was a peach color western top (my favorite color). Yesterday, when I opened the shelf to wear that top, I was shell shocked to see holes in the dress. Are there any ways to prevent it. I'm planning to replace the wardrobe with custom cabinets. So I would like to know about it. Please pour in your ideas. Thank you.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Termite attack

Postby ddd75 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 am

spray the wood with malathion
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:38 am

Call Otto the Orkin man.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:18 am

dull or shiny skin termites? :hide:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 am

greybeard wrote:dull or shiny skin termites? :hide:

Why don't you google it.... :lol2:
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 am

CindSein wrote:Hi friends,
Termite Attack! Seriously my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood. Although I sprayed a termiticide, it didn't work. Now mulling over changing the wardrobe. What type of material would be termite proof? It was saddening when my favorite floral dress which I bought from Burberry was under termite attack. It was a peach color western top (my favorite color). Yesterday, when I opened the shelf to wear that top, I was shell shocked to see holes in the dress. Are there any ways to prevent it. I'm planning to replace the wardrobe with custom cabinets. So I would like to know about it. Please pour in your ideas. Thank you.

WTH, termites are getting your clothes, or are you calling your dresser a wardrobe? But then you mention a dress termites are eating...Termites like moisture....they don't eat dry stuff so maybe you need to check for water leaks maybe? I dunno, I just find this post kind of strange....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 am

If your furniture has termites I'd be more worried about the house than the clothes.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:42 am

cowgirl8 wrote:WTH, termites are getting your clothes, or are you calling your dresser a wardrobe? But then you mention a dress termites are eating...Termites like moisture....they don't eat dry stuff so maybe you need to check for water leaks maybe? I dunno, I just find this post kind of strange....

'Wardrobe' is a term for a piece of furniture that was very popular at one time and still is many places. Other names for the same thing are armoir and chiffarobe. It took/takes the place of a closet.
IKEA still sells them.
Some had drawers on one side and a place to hang clothes on the other..some were just for hanging clothes.

A vintage wardrobe:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d1/f7/77/d1f7 ... rdrobe.jpg

I used to have a very heavy one that came out of my grandmother's house. Son has it now.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:16 am

If you got termites in yo house and furniture,,, chances are great they're all over and under your house... More then a piece of furniture...if you can afford to.call pest control....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

But then stated that they said a dress is under attack.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am

I'm going to guess this person has moths and not termites....Those outfits may have had wool in them.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 am

cowgirl8 wrote:

But then stated that they said a dress is under attack.

I'm planning to replace the wardrobe with custom cabinets.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't intend to wear 'custom cabinets'.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am

CindSein wrote:Now mulling over changing the wardrobe. What type of material would be termite proof?

Mine are cedar. Simple. I put shelves in them and use the little plastic tubs instead of drawers. Took my chest of drawers completely out.

They had two more of those wardrobes for sale at a Burleson antique shop. I couldn't resist.

Cedar seems to be the material moths and bugs avoid.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:50 am

She doesn't mention its eating the wood, just her clothes... moths...
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

cowgirl8 wrote:She doesn't mention its eating the wood, just her clothes... moths...

Copied and pasted from the OP: "my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood"
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”