The Plague

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

The Plague

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:11 am

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: The Plague

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am

Is this not fairly common? Reason I ask is I shot prairie dogs in Montana and was told not to handle the carcasses because they had fleas that carried something like the plague and it could make you real sick or even kill you.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 am

There was a segment on the Monster inside me,,,a little girl got bit by a flea...she wound up with bubonic plague...had doctors ready to pull their hair out..hadn't ever dealt with it before....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ticks are bad enough.

I am reminded of the saying, something like; all things old, are new again. :frowns:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:22 am

I was thinking the plague had been eradicated which surprised me when I ran across that article.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am

slick4591 wrote:I was thinking the plague had been eradicated which surprised me when I ran across that article.

A camp ground that we stayed in when we hunted one part of the sierras in calfirnoa in the 70s had a sign to avoid the ground squirrels becuase of bubonic plague
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am

Seems like I remember reading where there was a plague on an indian reservation in the late 70's or early 80's where a lot of people got sick and died from something rodent fleas were carrying. I post a link if I can find it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 am

slick4591 wrote:I was thinking the plague had been eradicated which surprised me when I ran across that article.

No way. It is carried by a flea on rodents. Caused by the bacteria: Yersinia pestis.I hunted prairie dogs in Montana and Wyoming. They tell you not to handle the dogs or even hang out around their dens.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Is this not fairly common?

No, but it makes a great headline.

Tick borne diseases are much more common. Give the dogs a break, and shoot more deer! :banana:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

No way. It is carried by a flea on rodents. Caused by the bacteria: Yersinia pestis.I hunted prairie dogs in Montana and Wyoming. They tell you not to handle the dogs or even hang out around their dens.

You "hunted" prairie dogs or did you mean to say you shot prairie dogs? If not, tell me again about that African safari you went on and describe how tall the fence was in the enclosure. ;-) :lol: :lol:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

You "hunted" prairie dogs or did you mean to say you shot prairie dogs? If not, tell me again about that African safari you went on and describe how tall the fence was in the enclosure. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Wrong word. Shot. Tons of them. Even went all the way across Montana to an area not far from where Oldtimer resides.

I avoided the fenced hunts! Down in the Zambezi valley and the Lowveld. Like the Africa of Clark Gable movies.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Wrong word. Shot. Tons of them. Even went all the way across Montana to an area not far from where Oldtimer resides.

I avoided the fenced hunts! Down in the Zambezi valley and the Lowveld. Like the Africa of Clark Gable movies.

:lol2: :lol2: I thought you may have worded that wrong. I shot them in the same area. Never seen such a target rich environment. I'd like to do it again sometime. Great way to hone you marksmanship skills.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Seems like I remember reading where there was a plague on an indian reservation in the late 70's or early 80's where a lot of people got sick and died from something rodent fleas were carrying. I post a link if I can find it.

What it was and it still at times rears it's ugly head, was hantavirus from the mouse feces/urine. The first time it showed up recently and people died from it in New Mexico was a wet year and the mouse population exploded.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 pm

dun wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Seems like I remember reading where there was a plague on an indian reservation in the late 70's or early 80's where a lot of people got sick and died from something rodent fleas were carrying. I post a link if I can find it.

What it was and it still at times rears it's ugly head, was hantavirus from the mouse feces/urine. The first time it showed up recently and people died from it in New Mexico was a wet year and the mouse population exploded.

Yes. It infected some people on a reservation in Montana.
0 x

cmay
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cmay » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 pm

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVj1X ... oM.wrpZbk-

case a few years ago diagnosed by an old doctor here.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”