Animal Protein for Pigs?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Animal Protein for Pigs?

Postby BK9954 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Dave wrote:I knew a guy who trapped a lot of muskrats and bought muskrats in the round from school kids. He had a window in his fur shed that faced a pig pen. The muskrat carcasses went out the window and was the biggest portion of the pigs diet.
One winter I had some pigs that I fed boiled beaver and barley. They grew great but were sort of a mean bunch. I don't think you would have wanted to trip in their pen.

Heck I might could feed them wild hog, cooked. I have a ton of those here.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:44 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:If only you knew how much pig went into pig feed.

I'm sure but in mine it doesn't
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 pm

When we raised rabbits commercially the guts, head, feet and tails all went to the pigs.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:38 pm

What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 pm

TexasBred wrote:

What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.

I know a pig farmer will pick up pet food wastes from my work (pet food industry). We use a lot of pork for dog food and they all go to the hogs.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 pm

https://youtu.be/kBvCPTK1MmY
Advice from a professional.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Friend of mine had a line on day old krispy kreme donuts and raised "donut- fed pork" . I thought it was hilarious. Pretty fatty meat tho!
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 am

boondocks wrote:Friend of mine had a line on day old krispy kreme donuts and raised "donut- fed pork" . I thought it was hilarious. Pretty fatty meat tho!

I checked with the Asian donut shop in town. They wanted to charge me $15 for every 5 dozen they throw away!!!!!! Are they crazy. I told them they could smash them into a ball and to make sure I wasn't trying to sell them but they still wouldn't budge. Our grocery store donates EVERY thing to the food banks. They get a tax write off.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 am

boondocks wrote:Friend of mine had a line on day old krispy kreme donuts and raised "donut- fed pork" . I thought it was hilarious. Pretty fatty meat tho!

If you feed stuff like that you have to offset it with good protein. My pigs have unlimited bread and milk and grain

BK9954 wrote:

I checked with the Asian donut shop in town. They wanted to charge me $15 for every 5 dozen they throw away!!!!!! Are they crazy. I told them they could smash them into a ball and to make sure I wasn't trying to sell them but they still wouldn't budge. Our grocery store donates EVERY thing to the food banks. They get a tax write off.

BK go to the food banks they throw away that food once it gets bad. If you were here I could give you thousands of lbs of veggies I am getting from a produce place that supplies restaurants. They toss about 30,000 lbs per week of stuff. There is also a ramen noodle place giving reject noodles away here.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 am

Check with restaurants there was a show on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs where a man had a large hog operation and he got most of his feed from what restaurants threw out. :tiphat:
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am

msplmtneer wrote:Check with restaurants there was a show on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs where a man had a large hog operation and he got most of his feed from what restaurants threw out. :tiphat:

Pretty sure USDA makes you cook that. I run a restuarant. That's where I get my produce and old bread.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 am

Yep, Campbell soups used to give their rejects and waste to livestock producers. Now it has to be boiled first, therefore goes to a landfill. Has to be boiled to prevent botulism I suppose.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 am

These are the ones that im not selling but they are going in my freezer

0 x

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 am

Dave wrote:I knew a guy who trapped a lot of muskrats and bought muskrats in the round from school kids. He had a window in his fur shed that faced a pig pen. The muskrat carcasses went out the window and was the biggest portion of the pigs diet.
One winter I had some pigs that I fed boiled beaver and barley. They grew great but were sort of a mean bunch. I don't think you would have wanted to trip in their pen.

The stories about guys having a heart attack in the pig pen and being basically gone by the time they find them are real.

Didn't the mob have interest in a hog farm north of Las Vegas?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Might check with the day old bread stores. Anything they don;t sell after a time they throw it out.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”