Animal Protein for Pigs?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Animal Protein for Pigs?

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 pm

TexasBred wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:If only you knew how much pig went into pig feed.

What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.

Well phase 1 pig starter is about 25% pig plasma, and cost about $75 a bag. They also get quite a bit of blood and bone meal throughout the feeding phase, which is sourced mainly from pig and chicken processing.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Animal protein for pigs? On Deadwood, Al Swearengen and Mr. Wu had the perfect solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJPgngJr5jA
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:If only you knew how much pig went into pig feed.

What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.

Well phase 1 pig starter is about 25% pig plasma, and cost about $75 a bag. They also get quite a bit of blood and bone meal throughout the feeding phase, which is sourced mainly from pig and chicken processing.

Figured that was what it was but wasn't sure. Thank you sir.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm

dun wrote:Might check with the day old bread stores. Anything they don;t sell after a time they throw it out.

Here they don't throw it out just wait for people like me to buy it and feed it to animals. They charge you for it and im ok with that where else can you buy hostess cakes and such by the pick up load for 20.00 bucks :lol: :lol: They take it off the shelves a week or two sometimes before its expired either way the pigs love it.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
dun wrote:Might check with the day old bread stores. Anything they don;t sell after a time they throw it out.

Here they don't throw it out just wait for people like me to buy it and feed it to animals. They charge you for it and im ok with that where else can you buy hostess cakes and such by the pick up load for 20.00 bucks :lol: :lol: They take it off the shelves a week or two sometimes before its expired either way the pigs love it.

And Ol' Sky has been known to wolf down a couple dozen cupcakes and twinkies from time to time as well. :hide:
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm

TexasBred wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:
TexasBred wrote:What pork based products do you all mix into your feed Sim.

Sometimes they do also get processing or rendering waste, but it's mostly fat, so not a whole lot.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:47 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

And Ol' Sky has been known to wolf down a couple dozen cupcakes and twinkies from time to time as well. :hide:

You are correct after handling a couple hundred and unwrapping them you get hungry :oops:
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:34 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:Well phase 1 pig starter is about 25% pig plasma, and cost about $75 a bag. They also get quite a bit of blood and bone meal throughout the feeding phase, which is sourced mainly from pig and chicken processing.

Sometimes they do also get processing or rendering waste, but it's mostly fat, so not a whole lot.

PUre energy...should make for one heck of a diet.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 pm

bball wrote:https://youtu.be/kBvCPTK1MmY
Advice from a professional.

This is the first thing I thought of when reading this thread!

The second thing was listening to a bunch of old timers at the feed mill years ago talking about chicken eating sows. They said you had to get rid of them because the sows would run themselves ragged once they got the taste of chicken. Couldn't put any weight on them, they'd run it all off chasing hens around.
1 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Landed a gig with a local Mexican produce store. They let me pick up all the old produce every day. Getting it by the truck full. So far they have been the most helpful. This, popeyes chicken, distillers grain and a mix of piG feed and crushed corn is working okay. Crushed corn $5.25 a bag but I don't have to feed to much with all the potatoes and fruit I am getting.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm

BK9954 wrote:Landed a gig with a local Mexican produce store. They let me pick up all the old produce every day. Getting it by the truck full. So far they have been the most helpful. This, popeyes chicken, distillers grain and a mix of piG feed and crushed corn is working okay. Crushed corn $5.25 a bag but I don't have to feed to much with all the potatoes and fruit I am getting.

$5.25 a bag!!!! I'd find wheat or something cheap somewhere.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 am

BK9954 wrote:Landed a gig with a local Mexican produce store. They let me pick up all the old produce every day. Getting it by the truck full. So far they have been the most helpful. This, popeyes chicken, distillers grain and a mix of piG feed and crushed corn is working okay. Crushed corn $5.25 a bag but I don't have to feed to much with all the potatoes and fruit I am getting.

Congrats I could give you about 5 tons a week and never even miss it
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 am

Jake wrote:

$5.25 a bag!!!! I'd find wheat or something cheap somewhere.

At $5.25 it's just $50 over buying buy the ton of whole kernel corn. And this is crushed fine. I only supplement when I am short on carbs so the price I am paying for corn is the best around. Other places charging $6.50 for whole corn. I don't think the corn is a bad deal.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

Look at bread on a dry matter basis and 20.00 bucks a pickup load is not the great deal it sounds like. Once you weigh it you really don't have anything.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:32 pm

shaz wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Look at bread on a dry matter basis and 20.00 bucks a pickup load is not the great deal it sounds like. Once you weigh it you really don't have anything.

I like mixing that with my brewers grain and milk to make my own feed blend. I also mix it with ddg and milk brewers grain. It is a deal for me cause everyone that guys my pigs loves the meat/fat ratio as well as flavor.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”