It ain't hornets

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1521
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby M.Magis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:52 pm

What we call sweat bees here are smaller and almost look like a fat ant with wings. I can't get a pic with my phone. They love to get in the crease of you elbow, knees, etc and bite when you bend. They hurt quite a bit for a few minutes.
0 x

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Could this be your guy?

Image


There are kids that look at this board.....


Jo, the thing that's getting you, is it black? I got stung and my son got stung by something that was small and black, hurt like he//, too. Also, I have seen a couple of mini hornets this year as well.


Wasn't a pi$$ ant for sure. I don't think it was a bombardier beetle because there was no stench and those pictured look to big. It was like you say, small and black and hurt like hades. Felt almost as bad as a yellow jacket but the pain subsided in about five minutes leaving only minimal swelling. It feel like and acid burn but no smell to it. I hope I don't see any more of these.

We also have a tiny caterpillar that comes out this time of year. They like to get on twigs and leaves and they will drop on you and begin stinging you. They are only about a quarter inch long which makes them hard to find and usually by the time you've found it he's stung your several times. I don't think this is a sweat bee either. Don't think it has wings but after smashing them I can't be positive. I just know these buggers hurt and its the first I've run across them but I am working in hades right now and I'm pretty sure I smelled some burnt black powder from the battle of Gettysburg the other day because its so thick I'm having to breathe air that I figure is over 150 years old.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Anyone ever seen a tiny insect - beetle type thing - that is about the size of a fire ant that spits out an acid that burns like a yellow jacket sting? Been working in Hades lately and I've run into one of these devils every day so far and they hurt almost as much as a yellow jacket sting and will burn for several minutes. I can't really describe what they look like because I smash them on reflex as soon as they set fire to me but all I can really describe is the smashed carcass looks beetle-like and no bigger than an ant. Any ideas what this creature from he77 might be called?


Bombardier beetle


Sky, can these things be tiny .... like the size of an ant but maybe even a hair bit smaller?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1521
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby M.Magis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 pm

This is what we call sweat bees. The pics don't give a good indication of size. They're about 3/16" long.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/9033/bgimage
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Could this be your guy?

Image


There are kids that look at this board.....


Jo, the thing that's getting you, is it black? I got stung and my son got stung by something that was small and black, hurt like he//, too. Also, I have seen a couple of mini hornets this year as well.


Wasn't a pi$$ ant for sure. I don't think it was a bombardier beetle because there was no stench and those pictured look to big. It was like you say, small and black and hurt like hades. Felt almost as bad as a yellow jacket but the pain subsided in about five minutes leaving only minimal swelling. It feel like and acid burn but no smell to it. I hope I don't see any more of these.

We also have a tiny caterpillar that comes out this time of year. They like to get on twigs and leaves and they will drop on you and begin stinging you. They are only about a quarter inch long which makes them hard to find and usually by the time you've found it he's stung your several times. I don't think this is a sweat bee either. Don't think it has wings but after smashing them I can't be positive. I just know these buggers hurt and its the first I've run across them but I am working in hades right now and I'm pretty sure I smelled some burnt black powder from the battle of Gettysburg the other day because its so thick I'm having to breathe air that I figure is over 150 years old.


You hiring? I've been looking for something more fun than building fence all day. :lol:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46996
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby dun » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:27 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
dun wrote:Sweat bee

Nope, I've never had a problem with them. This is what you're thinking of, correct?
https://beeinformed.org/2012/10/01/sweat-bees/

I think that woman is looking at it from a city perspective. For me sweat bees burn when they bite/sting/whatever they do.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Anyone ever seen a tiny insect - beetle type thing - that is about the size of a fire ant that spits out an acid that burns like a yellow jacket sting? Been working in Hades lately and I've run into one of these devils every day so far and they hurt almost as much as a yellow jacket sting and will burn for several minutes. I can't really describe what they look like because I smash them on reflex as soon as they set fire to me but all I can really describe is the smashed carcass looks beetle-like and no bigger than an ant. Any ideas what this creature from he77 might be called?


Bombardier beetle


Sky, can these things be tiny .... like the size of an ant but maybe even a hair bit smaller?


I believe so most are like ant size though
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:57 am

Then that might be it. I'd catch one whole but my instinct and reflexes are to smash the ba$tards which is why I think I'd make a poor bee keeper. :oops:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:43 am

Jogeephus wrote:Then that might be it. I'd catch one whole but my instinct and reflexes are to smash the ba$tards which is why I think I'd make a poor bee keeper. :oops:


:lol: I sold some ddg yesterday to a guy and he had 3 hives and bees were all over them about 20' away while unloading the ddg talk about nervous
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:45 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Then that might be it. I'd catch one whole but my instinct and reflexes are to smash the ba$tards which is why I think I'd make a poor bee keeper. :oops:


:lol: I sold some ddg yesterday to a guy and he had 3 hives and bees were all over them about 20' away while unloading the ddg talk about nervous


A fella was trying to get me interesting in bee keeping and took me to his hives to show how docile they were. One problem, the hives had been taken over by Africanized bees and they attacked us. I learned beekeepers are liars - or at least he was - because he had told me if you get stung by one don't kill it and don't run. He did both leaving me chasing him to the safety of his house.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Then that might be it. I'd catch one whole but my instinct and reflexes are to smash the ba$tards which is why I think I'd make a poor bee keeper. :oops:


:lol: I sold some ddg yesterday to a guy and he had 3 hives and bees were all over them about 20' away while unloading the ddg talk about nervous


A fella was trying to get me interesting in bee keeping and took me to his hives to show how docile they were. One problem, the hives had been taken over by Africanized bees and they attacked us. I learned beekeepers are liars - or at least he was - because he had told me if you get stung by one don't kill it and don't run. He did both leaving me chasing him to the safety of his house.


:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8499
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby slick4591 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Dad messed with them too. That's one place on the farm he couldn't get me to go.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4310
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby ga.prime » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry for the duplication if somebody already said this, but tsetse fly. Don't know exactly which episode but watch Gilligan's Island for more info.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: It ain't hornets

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:56 pm

0 x


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests