Poorly treated fence posts. What would you do?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Poorly treated fence posts. What would you do?

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:17 pm

D2Cat wrote:Pipe seems plentiful around here. I've got a corral with 2" pipe for post and 1" sucker rod welded to them. I've had a couple of guys tell me sucker rod can't be welded and stay together. I've never had a problem with it using 6010+ rod.

I've also got a place with 5 acres that the previous owner buried telephone poles (used I'm quite sure) for corner post. Then cut the tops off at a taper to shed water. They've deteriorated pretty bad and need replaced. From that experience I would not use used poles for post.
. Those old telephone post,the treatment seeps down over time... One reason why their replaced..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm

I have some good util pole posts you can come get if I e er sell this place. Might be hard to pull tho, they been in the ground holding up fence since '65.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:34 am

GB, I consider welding the #1 most important non-farming skill a farmer needs to have, though perhaps that should be accounting! Anyhow, it's right up there because it's a universal need on all farms

I heard you need to wrap your ground wire around the pipe a couple times and weld on AC to help with the magnetism... I'd like to get a 1500 ft of ~3" and some smaller stuff as well
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 am

Welding in the woods and pastures would scare me. Burning the woods down around here would be bad. A spark and some grass and the rest is history. I don't think a person could carry enough liability insurance.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 am

Nesikep wrote:GB, I consider welding the #1 most important non-farming skill a farmer needs to have, though perhaps that should be accounting! Anyhow, it's right up there because it's a universal need on all farms

I heard you need to wrap your ground wire around the pipe a couple times and weld on AC to help with the magnetism... I'd like to get a 1500 ft of ~3" and some smaller stuff as well

You got the accounting correct. The county Extension Agent has been promoting better accounting and offering training sessions supported by the Ag department so cattle farmers are properly assessing whether they are actually making a profit.

Welding is a handy skill. And I might add, a torch is just as handy if not more. I have both and a couple of my neighbors visit me when they have needs. I enjoy getting the extra use out of my investment. BTW: it is not that expensive to get set up with an arc welder and torch.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”