Mineral for Hogs

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Mineral for Hogs

Postby BK9954 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:30 am

Is there a mineral I should be feeding my hogs? Can't really find a solid answer on the Internet. I have one that has a syndrome where every once in a while his back legs give out and he dips and yelps, but it said this could be caused by stress or change in diet.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Mineral for Hogs

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am

BK9954 wrote:Is there a mineral I should be feeding my hogs? Can't really find a solid answer on the Internet. I have one that has a syndrome where every once in a while his back legs give out and he dips and yelps, but it said this could be caused by stress or change in diet.

I am no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.. Some people use general livestock minerals and mix it in the pigs feed most popular is corn mineral and soy meal... If I were to guess id say maybe a potassium deficiency may be causing it just like when we have cramps. I never fed any minerals as I always believed what they were lacking they got it from the dirt. When we raised feeders in the hog houses and fed corn and commercial feeds I think the commercial feeds had minerals in it but not sure. Check out these links

http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/59/leg-weakness/

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2322
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:35 am

How big is the pig with the leg problem?

Go to a local feed Mill and ask for a mineral for pigs, then mix it at rate with any meal. Probably be a jbs product. Your main problems will come from vit. and trace mineral diffenences.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am

BK9954 wrote:Is there a mineral I should be feeding my hogs? Can't really find a solid answer on the Internet. I have one that has a syndrome where every once in a while his back legs give out and he dips and yelps, but it said this could be caused by stress or change in diet.

Could be something as simple as sunburn as well. We generally buy yorks for our 4H pigs and these pigs have never seen the outside of a building. We have one every year that gets burned and acts the same as your describing for a short period of time.
0 x
J & D Cattle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:55 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:How big is the pig with the leg problem?

Go to a local feed Mill and ask for a mineral for pigs, then mix it at rate with any meal. Probably be a jbs product. Your main problems will come from vit. and trace mineral diffenences.

Gonna be about the only place I can think of that would have one for pigs. Will be a highly concentrated mineral that only requires 4-5 lbs. for a ton of feed and is really quite inexpensive ($.90 per lb. )unless the mill decides to screw you over.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 pm

is he sunburned?
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”