Scary experience

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Re: Scary experience

Postby jkwilson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 am

Some of the happiest experiences of my life have involved closing the trailer door behind an animal that made my life harder than it needed to be.
4 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 am

jkwilson wrote:Some of the happiest experiences of my life have involved closing the trailer door behind an animal that made my life harder than it needed to be.

Lol, we sold a mule once that I had the exact feeling. We all did a dance when he left.
These girls have been culled numerous times to this point. I saw one push through the others but not sure if that is a sellable offence. THey were all moving around just like any other time cows are penned. It wasn't a violent stampede, more like at a concert and people want closer but forget that the people in front have nowhere to go...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:08 am

I'm blaming it on operator error. We had a long narrow pen stuffed full of cows. We actually felt safe packing them in, although had no idea it would happen, that they are very docile girls. And since some are heifers, they don't know the drill yet when it comes to corral work. But its just a experience told in hopes others learn by it.
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 am

When are you little people going to learn?
Once again you have had to be but in your place.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 am

jedstivers wrote:When are you little people going to learn?

Youve become one off the biggest jerks here. It's a crying shame. Why don't you go to ranchers and hug cow poker..
2 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 am

callmefence wrote:

Youve become one off the biggest jerks here. It's a crying shame. Why don't you go to ranchers and hug cow poker..

Sorry fence, I don't take well to bs. Take even less to good people being put down by a azz.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:27 am

jedstivers wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Sorry fence, I don't take well to bs. Take even less to good people being put down by a azz.

Then be fair about. Nobody here puts down more people for no reason than grit. And cowpoke is a fake. But you'll side with them Ain't like the Jed I know.
0 x

David Crockett

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 am

Some of the craziest cattle I ever dealt with would eat out of the owners hand in the pasture.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:33 am

jedstivers wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Btw nobody was talked down to till the trolls showed up.
0 x

David Crockett

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 am

callmefence wrote:
jedstivers wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Then be fair about. Nobody here puts down more people for no reason than grit. And cowpoke is a fake. But you'll side with them Ain't like the Jed I know.

Wth? I didn't take up for grit and who is cowpoke? I dont even see that name.
And yes, people have been talked to bad since cg8 showed up. If you'll notice she has made some post in the past month that she acted decent. I didn't say a thing.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:54 am

jedstivers wrote:
callmefence wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Sorry fence, I don't take well to bs. Take even less to good people being put down by a azz.

Wth? I didn't take up for grit and who is cowpoke? I dont even see that name.
And yes, people have been talked to bad since cg8 showed up. If you'll notice she has made some post in the past month that she acted decent. I didn't say a thing.

Okey-dokey... :roll:
0 x

David Crockett

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 am

cowgirl8 wrote:I'm blaming it on operator error. We had a long narrow pen stuffed full of cows. We actually felt safe packing them in, although had no idea it would happen, that they are very docile girls. And since some are heifers, they don't know the drill yet when it comes to corral work. But its just a experience told in hopes others learn by it.

Just wait until next time.

Facilities make a huge difference.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 am

Every time I changed pastures, mine went through the alley. If I give them cubes to gather them up and look them over, they go through the alley.

Most of them couldn't wait to get in the alley.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:29 am

I will say that daily checking and even a minimal rotational grazing system do wonders for dispositions and herd sanity.

new guy has been renting the place next to me for about two years now....when his cows came they were tough to deal with.

I worked a few of the young ones last fall in my breeding set up and they calmed down pretty well. he implemented a basic rotational grazing system and moves them every couple of weeks and when I was checking calving cows for him a weekend or two ago I noticed how much calmer the whole herd was....when they got here you could not walk fast enough to walk thru them...now they don't mind me walking all through them...still not pets but the high headedness is gone. I have also taught him to work cattle slowly and quietly and that has made a big difference...and they gather and work much more easily now...
3 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 am

Herd health do make a difference in them....most --not all---your flighty ones stay thin as rails
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”