hearing loss

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: hearing loss

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:34 am

:shock: I read that there's a company or two lobbying for over-the-counter sales of some devices that would help mild to moderate loss. Maybe it's needed; I think the current costs are insane. My glasses were 600-700 and I about fell over. How many people go around w/o hearing aids due to the cost? I have no issue with a reasonable out-of-pocket cost for them. But the tests and fitting (audiologist's services) ought to be covered by insurance IMHO. Get the device price down to a grand at least, sheesh.

True story: my great-aunt was a good ol' WV mountain girl. A real hoot. Drove her grandson's motorcycle off her farm house's (high) porch at about age 75, hollering over her shoulder "how do you stop this thing?" in her gravelly voice. Accidentally went in the men's rest room and came out asking what the funny things on the wall were. Anyway, as she got older she got a nighttime cough and would keep a lozenge by her bed. Woke up one night in a coughing fit, grabbed in the dark for the lozenge on the nightstand, and crunched down hard. It was in pieces time she realized it was her hearing aid. :shock:
1 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 am

Huh, say what
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am

Password to the old timber fallers club, Huh?
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:38 am

Dave wrote:Password to the old timber fallers club, Huh?

Probably the old catskinners too!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Yea, I have hearing loss thanks to old tractors/equipment guns chainsaws night clubs and my vehicles with 12 sub woofers and amps and such
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:28 pm

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/walkers/
These work really good and are reasonably priced.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 pm

slick4591 wrote:I have the ringing and I'm terrible in crowds. I also have to tell most young women, and some young men to slow down as their words run together and are garbled. I don't have that problem with most of the more mature ladies or men. Family is always on me to get tested but I already know I have hearing loss

The wife and I were in Sam's Club the other day and there's been a free hearing test booth there for a while now, so I decided to go for it. I said something to the wife and I think she got a little ecstatic that I even considered it. Yes, tinnitus both ears and some pretty bad damage probably from non-protected shooting.

Once that was settled out came the price sheet for the hearing aids the lady recommended for me. Lowest is $999 and up to $1699 per ear. :shock: She wanted me to walk around the store wearing them and instructed my wife to walk around me on all sides and talk. She sounded fine and I was pretty pleased, but the screaming kids were way too much. Anyway, a question to those that wear them, what's your experience if you have tried different ones? Was the higher priced one that much better than the lowered priced? I would hate to be cheap only to regret it later.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I got a couple of pair laying around here. $7000 a pair. You can take your choice for a six pack. Don't work for me.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 pm

pdfangus wrote:wanted to inquire of the assembled wisdom here...

I have amassed some hearing loss over the decades.

never bad enough to require amendment but have long had trouble hearing in crowed rooms or in particular higher pitched voices.

lately noticed that I am having problems with the office telephone. part of it is people call here from cell phones and the connections are not quite as good, and part of it is the cheapest phone system on a government bid...

looked around at hearing aids and floored at the prices.

thinking I might just try amplification first....

any suggestions?

pdfangus................

Son Of Butch has laid down some solid advice.

Hearing loss can be insidious or sudden

In 2013, just north of Jalalabad, my vehicle was hit with a couple of RPG's and completely destroyed. I woke up some time later with a couple of rather annoying issues and some serious hearing loss.

The way that loss of hearing was measured was through a complete examination at a proper hearing clinic. That clinic did remove some ear wax. They also repaired some damage to the drums although I cannot tell you much about that.

I make it a point to have my hearing tested on an annual basis now.

Hearing aids of today are small, nearly invisible and certainly an amazing advance in technology.

Tinnitus volumes can actually be measured in hearing clinics - so if there is also associated ringing, the hearing technicians can not only tell you how bad your ears ring, they can actually fit you out with hearing aids that counter that ringing to allow you to hear more efficiently.

The biggest issue that you might have is that your hearing might decrease at an even faster rate as you age.

In the end, do as I do and carry ear plugs in your pocket all the time. I do not even ride in an airliner without wearing them. Driving with the window open I now put them in - even that wind noise is a hearing killer that most do not realize.

After eyesight, hearing is - in my opinin - the next most important "sense".

Get it checked out, if hearing aides are required, get the best you can afford.

The next step is now up to you. Do not put it off - it could get worse and it could get worse in a hurry.

My best.
1 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm

All good advice. Don't buy them at Sam's. Go to a professional to have your ears tested.
2 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am

I tried to post yesterday but it has shown up

Got a call from the local va hospital yesterday

They want me to come in thursday for exam and testing

I applied back in the fall and had nearly forgotten about it

Will go and see what comes of it
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Go into a hearing aid store and you WILL come out owning a pair. They are just not gonna let one get out with a new pair.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”