Almost time...

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17685
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Almost time...

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Counting down the days till processing

Image
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28141
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Almost time...

Postby TexasBred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Looking good. I'll PM you my address so you can ship my country ham when ready. lol
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17685
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:14 pm

TexasBred wrote:Looking good. I'll PM you my address so you can ship my country ham when ready. lol


Gotcha covered :lol: Thanks yea every time I see them I keep thinking about pork chops and some sausage
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3787
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Almost time...

Postby Rafter S » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:33 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Looking good. I'll PM you my address so you can ship my country ham when ready. lol


Gotcha covered :lol: Thanks yea every time I see them I keep thinking about pork chops and some sausage


It looks like a lot of work to me. We butchered our own until I was grown. We heated water to scrape them. The head meat and kidneys went into blood sausage, we cleaned the casings for sausage (the large casings were used for blood sausage), and we rendered out the fat for cooking grease. I don't think I knew what Crisco was until I was in high school.

As far as I can remember the only parts we didn't use were the stomach and lungs.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17685
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Rafter S wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Looking good. I'll PM you my address so you can ship my country ham when ready. lol


Gotcha covered :lol: Thanks yea every time I see them I keep thinking about pork chops and some sausage


It looks like a lot of work to me. We butchered our own until I was grown. We heated water to scrape them. The head meat and kidneys went into blood sausage, we cleaned the casings for sausage (the large casings were used for blood sausage), and we rendered out the fat for cooking grease. I don't think I knew what Crisco was until I was in high school.

As far as I can remember the only parts we didn't use were the stomach and lungs.


It is a lot of work but its fun doing it with friends and neighbors and cutting up. We scald and scrap too. The small intestines will be cleaned for chitlins :D and the large will be used to stuff sausage in then smoked the lungs are the only thing on them that will not be used. We also render the leaf lard too it will be a lot of work but when I bite into the first piece of bacon or pork chop I will be ready to start the process again. The stomach the HOG MAW will be eaten for sure :mrgreen:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13702
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Almost time...

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Eat every thing but the squeal....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4311
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Almost time...

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Looks like some good eating.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby jltrent » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Those are nice looking. I took an 800 lb. calf to the slaughter house today and they had several hogs in the lot to slaughter. Those will be better than anything you can buy in the store.
0 x

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby jltrent » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Whatever you are feeding you sure have them looking good.

Image
1 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17685
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 pm

jltrent wrote:Whatever you are feeding you sure have them looking good.

Image


Thank you sir.. it's a secret.. Na kidding I feed brewers grain, milk, bread, sweet snacks and 100lbs of corn a month is all they get. Unlimited brewers grain bread snacks and milk.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Almost time...

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:30 am

That’s some good looking bacon.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17685
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:13 am

wacocowboy wrote:That’s some good looking bacon.


Thanks... If weather permits I will start processing them.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Almost time...

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:That’s some good looking bacon.


Thanks... If weather permits I will start processing them.


One day I’d like to get set up to raise some pigs.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17685
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Almost time...

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:46 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:That’s some good looking bacon.


Thanks... If weather permits I will start processing them.


One day I’d like to get set up to raise some pigs.


not too much to it.. you can be set up in 2 days
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Almost time...

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Thanks... If weather permits I will start processing them.


One day I’d like to get set up to raise some pigs.


not too much to it.. you can be set up in 2 days


Yeah but I want them set up where they don’t stink up the place.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests