Ear tags, frowny face

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Ear tags, frowny face

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 am

We worked our big herd yesterday, wormed, vaccinated and redid ear tags.
Last late winter, we did not replace any tags, just remarked them. By calving time most were unreadable and or gone. So yesterday we replaced most of them. I went with smaller tags hoping they'd be less likely to be pulled off. The tags that were on the cows had turned into rubber with a thick black crust over them. I'm supposing the dalis grass goo did it, but it was a very slight goo year, specially during calving season. Most times I can whip the tags and at least see the faint number. But no, no number could be seen which meant we had to look in every ear for a tattoo. It was just a pain in the toosh since all the cows had so much ear hair..... Used a different brand so we shall see if they last longer.....I have no idea why they turned rubbery, most were doubled over like a dried leaf....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Ear tags, frowny face

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am

We have very little problems with ear tags. I use the large all flex tags through the center of the ear. They don't hang down to low and get pulled out. We use a welders paint marker to write. There's tags out there 6-7 years old I can still read my phone# on.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:20 am

I've had better luck with the ink staying on All-flex than other brands, but that's why I use ear tags and number brands. The tags are easier to read (as long as they last), but the brand won't fall off. And it's a lot easier to read than an ear tattoo.

And I'll have to try the welders paint markers. I've been using the markers made for ear tags.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:34 am

We've never had problems like this...Used tags forever.. I'll try the welders paint markers though..
We'll be tattooing heifers this spring, i'm going to see if I can at least tattoo the number in the tag, not to see from a distance, but when we remark if we cant see the number...But, i'm probably just going to replace every year now if these feel rubbery this spring...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Got Z tags been in since 09. No trouble with them or the ink.
3 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 pm

jedstivers wrote:Got Z tags been in since 09. No trouble with them or the ink.

Z tags must be pretty good. I know of lots of folks who swear by em. Never used them personally
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:28 pm

I have been using Z tags on my cows for about 5 years.. The number, my name and my phone # are put on at their factory. So far i'm impressed with them. I haven't lost any in the last four years and all but one are still easily readable. I lost a couple the first year due to not putting them in correctly. Not sure why yhat one is so much worse than the others. I use Y-tex on the calves. These have faded out after about three years on the heifers I have kept.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:33 am

bird dog wrote:I have been using Z tags on my cows for about 5 years.. The number, my name and my phone # are put on at their factory. So far i'm impressed with them. I haven't lost any in the last four years and all but one are still easily readable. I lost a couple the first year due to not putting them in correctly. Not sure why yhat one is so much worse than the others. I use Y-tex on the calves. These have faded out after about three years on the heifers I have kept.

We have to use the blank ones since we use the cows number to match her tattoo.. We have had commercial show heifers get a stamped tag that lasted her whole life. That would be so great to be able to use stamped ones, but trying to replace a 523, 227, 911 would be expensive since we'd have to buy the whole package to get just a few numbers to replace lost ones.
One year, on heifers getting a number for the first time, I had to sit too long waiting to get started. I had all the numbers on the tags and while waiting, I drew our brand on the back....BIG MISTAKE... Over time, it bled through and blended with the number making them all unreadable. Most of what we replaced the other day were those tags. Although, the brand on back was no longer the problem it was the plastic turning rubbery and developing a weird crust over it... They feel almost like the fly repellent ear tags when they get old. I had a new bag in our box and they felt nothing like that new...hard ridged plastic is what they feel like new. How they turned like they did is just weird..
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 am

callmefence wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Got Z tags been in since 09. No trouble with them or the ink.

Z tags must be pretty good. I know of lots of folks who swear by em. Never used them personally

It's all I use. Even the cheap feedlot tags hold up a long time.
I use those in the calves I buy but have some several years old in some heifers I kept.
And all are blank. None numbered.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:30 pm

What brand were those tags?
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:58 pm

wacocowboy wrote:What brand were those tags?

Next time I got out to the shop i'll look....one is ytex and the other allflex, but I cant remember which one let us down...
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:00 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:What brand were those tags?

Next time I got out to the shop i'll look....one is ytex and the other allflex, but I cant remember which one let us down...

I think my blanks are YTex hope it wasn’t them.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm

They are YTex tags. I took this picture of a cow yesterday while we were working a herd eating a big bite of hay. There is a good view of what we were dealing with. Curled tag with black crust that wont wash off or scrape off.. i'm wondering if spraying them for flies did this....I don't remember what we sprayed them with...These tags started out white...Oh, and I looked at welders markers and all that was available around us was white markers....another frowny face..
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 am

I had used Y Tex tags exclusively for probably 20 years, until I got some fly tags that the studs were made with a plastic tip instead of metal. The points of the tips were not made correctly and were breaking off, making it impossible to tag and would have been hurting the cattle unnecessarily. I marked it up to the company trying to make the product cheaper at the expense of quality. I also had bought one of their new taggers that had the flip out pin, thinking it would be better to not have the occasional torn ear. That tagger was also faulty made and didn't work right at all. I have since switched to using Duflex which I have to order, or Temple tags that I can get at a local farm store. Have had some Temple tags in for probably 3 years or so. Used a tag marker and the numbers are still very legible.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:43 am

Tag markers, another frowny face. Worked great on the new tags, but after a few old tags I tried to remark the tip got rough and would no longer write good. I flipped the tip and again, as long as it was on a new tag it was ok, but the first one I used it one that wasn't new, I had trouble with it. That darn thing was 8 bucks. If most our cows weren't black, i'd just give them names...lol...I have maybe 20 I can pick out of a herd, but the rest just look the same.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”