Women changing...or not changing... their last name

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Women changing...or not changing... their last name

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Do what ever makes you happy and remember we are not living by Roy Moore's rules.
2 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 am

ropinranger wrote:Didn't have time to read through most of this....

so, here's my 2 cents, and if already said, i apologize --

I would say you take his last name -- marriage is a union, bottom line, having different names does not symbolize a true "union"; also, if/when kiddos arrive, they only should have one last name...helps avoid confusion, and provide a more clear picture of the "union" that the family is--this is much easier accomplished with one last name

That is an insult to my happy marriage of 25 years, sir. And taking their last names didn't help any of the 8 "unions" my dad and his brother have between them.
0 x

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 am

not meant as an insult, and, can't speak for the "others" you speak of(and, to be honest, their failed marriages have ZERO to do with their names and more likely to how they lived their lives)...I only know what 30+ years of working with 1000s of folks from ALL aspects of life in this country and abroad...WE as humans, are losing our sense of belonging...WE need to have an anchor...and, the easiest one is to ALL members of a FAMILY to have the same name. I really don't care if it's the man's or woman's...but, chose one, and move on. This day and age is hard enough on kids, not having to explain, or wonder, about their name is an easy fix; and one less worry.
3 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:27 am

ropinranger wrote:not meant as an insult, and, can't speak for the "others" you speak of(and, to be honest, their failed marriages have ZERO to do with their names and more likely to how they lived their lives)...I only know what 30+ years of working with 1000s of folks from ALL aspects of life in this country and abroad...WE as humans, are losing our sense of belonging...WE need to have an anchor...and, the easiest one is to ALL members of a FAMILY to have the same name. I really don't care if it's the man's or woman's...but, chose one, and move on. This day and age is hard enough on kids, not having to explain, or wonder, about their name is an easy fix; and one less worry.

My kid knows who his family is. (In fact, this 20-something just called tonight from a ship in New Zealand to tell his folks how much he misses them). There are WAY bigger challenges facing modern families than whether mom took dad's last name.
Besides, your logic is faulty: you want to attribute successful families to the practice of having the same name; but if those marriages fail, you want to blame other issues. Can't have it both ways...
2 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 am

boondocks wrote:
ropinranger wrote:not meant as an insult, and, can't speak for the "others" you speak of(and, to be honest, their failed marriages have ZERO to do with their names and more likely to how they lived their lives)...I only know what 30+ years of working with 1000s of folks from ALL aspects of life in this country and abroad...WE as humans, are losing our sense of belonging...WE need to have an anchor...and, the easiest one is to ALL members of a FAMILY to have the same name. I really don't care if it's the man's or woman's...but, chose one, and move on. This day and age is hard enough on kids, not having to explain, or wonder, about their name is an easy fix; and one less worry.

My kid knows who his family is. (In fact, this 20-something just called tonight from a ship in New Zealand to tell his folks how much he misses them). There are WAY bigger challenges facing modern families than whether mom took dad's last name.
Besides, your logic is faulty: you want to attribute successful families to the practice of having the same name; but if those marriages fail, you want to blame other issues. Can't have it both ways...
Your seriously saying that having the same last name makes marriage fail :roll:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:30 am

ez14. wrote:
boondocks wrote:

I don't read it that way; that she is saying the same last name is the cause of marriage failure. But she can explain it for you.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:24 am

I knew a couple that took half of her name and half his, and made a new last name.
1 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 am

HDRider wrote:I knew a couple that took half of her name and half his, and made a new last name.

Like Brangus?
2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:27 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
HDRider wrote:I knew a couple that took half of her name and half his, and made a new last name.

Like Brangus?

:lol:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Like Brangus?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol: :clap:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Yes, congratulations and I think you have already demonstrated your commitment to him by doing the move and all, already. He really needs to look at that a little bit.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:
boondocks wrote:

I don't read it that way; that she is saying the same last name is the cause of marriage failure. But she can explain it for you.
is there any other way to read it? Maybe that's not what she meant but it sure is what she said!
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”