Ain't it crazy

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Ain't it crazy

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 am

The amount of lumber used on even the smallest projects? I built a rabbit house yesterday for 2 rabbits. "Luckily" the roof on my back porch was rotten because it had been built flat by previous owners. I was able to salvage enough wood for the project.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Ain't it crazy

Postby greybeard » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:35 am

Craig Miller wrote:The amount of lumber used on even the smallest projects? I built a rabbit house yesterday for 2 rabbits. "Luckily" the roof on my back porch was rotten because it had been built flat by previous owners. I was able to salvage enough wood for the project.

I'm always distressed by the size of the mess of scraps and tools strewn out when I get finished with any project that involves wood. An the maze of extension cords and air hoses..........how can they get SO tangled up?
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:07 pm

The same with a take home order of fast food, the amount of trash left over. No wonder the dumps are full.

zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 pm

My Great Grandfather built many of these. No formal education, self taught and from the old timers I talked to, he utilized lumber very efficiently and had very little waste at the end of construction. He had a use in mind for the waste with every saw cut.Round bottom displacement hulls with constant changing lines and no 2 frames the same. My father worked in his shipyard as a kid and can stretch material to the max too. I can't build a square box without a pile of sawdust and scrap. Makes me ashamed. It's a lost art.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

I've built a sprinkling of houses in my life. The amount of material that goes to the burn pile is shocking.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:The amount of lumber used on even the smallest projects? I built a rabbit house yesterday for 2 rabbits. "Luckily" the roof on my back porch was rotten because it had been built flat by previous owners. I was able to salvage enough wood for the project.

I'm always distressed by the size of the mess of scraps and tools strewn out when I get finished with any project that involves wood. An the maze of extension cords and air hoses..........how can they get SO tangled up?

That is bad too. Something I didn't learn until I was older but I try to teach my kids is the job is not done until every tool is out back in its place. It seems to be the hardest part of every job.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I've built a sprinkling of houses in my life. The amount of material that goes to the burn pile is shocking.
a lot of the excess material goes home with the contractor, man in front of me built a nice garage with a overhead apartment with it..
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:42 pm

My aunt and uncle had a house built by a large contractor. They threw away enough to fill up one of those big construction haul off dumpsters. My uncle dug out all the good he could get and stored it.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:08 pm

zirlottkim wrote:Image

My Great Grandfather built many of these. No formal education, self taught and from the old timers I talked to, he utilized lumber very efficiently and had very little waste at the end of construction. He had a use in mind for the waste with every saw cut.Round bottom displacement hulls with constant changing lines and no 2 frames the same. My father worked in his shipyard as a kid and can stretch material to the max too. I can't build a square box without a pile of sawdust and scrap. Makes me ashamed. It's a lost art.

Beautifull boats zirlot, that deck is magnificent. A friends BIL has bought a lovely old planked trawler and has it home refitting it so it is up on the dry and of course the planks have shrunk, his solution is he is going to fibreglass over it when finished, sacrelige if reckon.

Ken

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:11 pm

With a building project you get the construction materials bought and think you have the costs covered and then go and buy the fastenings and get a rude awakening.

Ken

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 pm

wbvs58 wrote:

With a building project you get the construction materials bought and think you have the costs covered and then go and buy the fastenings and get a rude awakening.

Ken

Ain't that the truth. I used the screws I pulled of from the roof. I was thinking I would have had $30 invested in screws alone if I hadn't done that.

zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:56 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:Image

Beautifull boats zirlot, that deck is magnificent. A friends BIL has bought a lovely old planked trawler and has it home refitting it so it is up on the dry and of course the planks have shrunk, his solution is he is going to fibreglass over it when finished, sacrelige if reckon.

Ken

The planking should swell back but may take a while. Ild like to see a picture of it.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I built a rabbit house yesterday for 2 rabbits. "Luckily" the roof on my back porch was rotten....
I was able to salvage enough wood for the project.

Yupper... Lucky You.... :???: :)