Military questions

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
JHH
GURU
GURU

Military questions

Postby JHH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:17 pm

OK I have few questions.

1) How does a guy who didn't finish basic get military benefits. He was discharged but it wasn't honorable it was something else.

2) I know of other vetrans that served for yrs and they don't get anything. Why is he receiving and them not.
0 x
nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Military questions

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 pm

1) Medically discharged from basic?
2) Every veteran is eligible for benefits ranging from tuition to home mortgage to medical, etc.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Sounds like a general discharge but there are several but most get tossed into the general category. Other than a dishonorable discharge he would qualify for benefits.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Even not finishing basic? That's a bunch of b.s.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:29 pm

JHH wrote:Even not finishing basic? That's a bunch of b.s.

Depends. If not finishing was no fault of the recruit, then he would and should be entitled to benefits. There was a recruit in my boot camp platoon that got his neck broke during pugil stick (bayonet) training. He recovered, but got a medical discharge. No reason he shouldn't recieve mil benefits. I'm not talking about the same bennies career military gets upon retirement, just GI Bill, hiring preference in some jobs etc.
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 am

You seem really upset about that... What about the ones that get killed in basic... Should they not get burial benefits and such?
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 am

I agree with jhh.
Military benefits like welfare often go to those who make a job out of collecting them. I've had several employees that collected military disability but could build fence just fine. I asked the most recent. He told me his body hurts sometimes from the abuse. He never saw combat. What abuse...??
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve benefits. But he is by no means disabled. He quit shortly after hearing my opinion and I'm glad he did.
Red fought with the Marines on the invasion and occupation of Japan.
He was on Iwo Jima when the atomic bombs ended the war. He worked for the railroad post military and never used VA benefits. In his last year when they where needed. My mother and my wife worked for almost a year sorting through VA bs. . Red died before he ever used his benefits and we just paid the bill.
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:33 am

Anything can be abused no matter what it is....Not all disability is physical... Some people are mentally disabled combat or not. Kids that come out the womb that are mentally disabled never seen combat either but never the less they are disabled in some cases.

My take on military benefits are that those that enlist do knowing they are taking their life and handing it to the gov't in good times and bad. That is something a vast majority of the general public are not willing to do. If they get benefits they did something that ensures myself and families continued " Freedom " and I'm ok with it. The military benefits such as going to the VA for healthcare for free well you get what you pay for there so that benefit isn't that great. Many veterans that served in war times are mistreated by the VA and cant get appointments and such so just because you get some benefits doesn't mean there the best benefits ever cause there is room for improvement in that sector. The bottom line for me is the military does a job I don't want to do that is very important if you try and don't make it through you've done more than most.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 am

My maternal Grandfather(WWII Europe) received very good care through the VA before he passed. My paternal Grandfather(Korea) is receiving very good care at the VA hospital in Indianapolis right now. My Dad has taken care of most of the medical care/Dr. visits for both of them, and has high praise for the VA in Indianapolis. I know they have some serious issues that need cleared up, but our experience has been positive.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My maternal Grandfather(WWII Europe) received very good care through the VA before he passed. My paternal Grandfather(Korea) is receiving very good care at the VA hospital in Indianapolis right now. My Dad has taken care of most of the medical care/Dr. visits for both of them, and has high praise for the VA in Indianapolis. I know they have some serious issues that need cleared up, but our experience has been positive.

That's good. :)
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Not working because you got a occasional ache and pain is not disabled.
I am thirty miles from the largest landlocked military base in the free world. There's some great American heros there for sure. But they are outnumbered by welfare whores.
The fact that you join the military doesn't mean you may be put into danger. In fact nowadays just knowing what to say will get you out of your contract. And your perks go with you.
I pay for my own benefits because it's the path I choose. I will gladly pay to support or military personnel who served me. But we can do without the ones who just sign up and then look for a way out. ... Google it.... they teach each other how to do it. It's common knowledge and it's part of the swamp that needs to be drained.
2 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 pm

My dad was in WWII and he got good care at the VA in Johnson City TN. That was were he passed, but they took good care of him til the end. Every-time the Doc came to see him there were several trainees following and they had to have their vial of blood also. It was a good ideal to go there with plenty of blood I noticed.
Last edited by jltrent on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:52 pm

I know a couple of guys who know how to rape the system. One was in the National Guards. Furthest he went was Ft. Carson for training. He's told close friends how he killed in Vietnam. All BS. He's complained enough about hearing problems the VA provides hearing aids and batteries.

I was over at his house one time and his wife and my wife were walking through the yard looking down. I asked what they were doing, and he as he was setting in the lawn chair, said he lost his hearing aid and they were looking for it. I asked him why he thought it was in the yard and he said he had it in his shirt pocket and was throwing the ball for the dog. I told him there's not way, probably on his shop bench or in the dirty clothes. Because he can't bend over far enough for something to fall out of his shirt pocket.

Anyways, he told everyone to quit looking he'd get a new one tomorrow. I asked him how. Because the VA provides them. They also pay him mileage one way!

I see how he lives and he's a leach, always wanting someone to do something for him.

I can see how someone get's to wondering about VA benefits.
0 x

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:29 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

You seem really upset about that... What about the ones that get killed in basic... Should they not get burial benefits and such?

I am. This guy gets 9xx a month for a disability from VA. He already gets 13xx. A month from what Missouri calls SSI. He has dementia, and polycystic kidney disease. PKD. Anyway he was discharged for not obeying orders or probably not able to.

The whole disability thing I get but when he didn't even finish basic he shouldn't be eligible for them for the reason he got discharged. This is how come the government is upside down. Lack of common sense.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My maternal Grandfather(WWII Europe) received very good care through the VA before he passed. My paternal Grandfather(Korea) is receiving very good care at the VA hospital in Indianapolis right now. My Dad has taken care of most of the medical care/Dr. visits for both of them, and has high praise for the VA in Indianapolis. I know they have some serious issues that need cleared up, but our experience has been positive.

With this agent orange crap I'm dealing with I've had very good experience with the VA in MO.
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”