Has anyone ever peeled poplar?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Has anyone ever peeled poplar?

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Biggest logging company I inspect cuts about 4-5 acres a day. Hard to keep up peeling the poplar there.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 am

TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Does select harvest mean taking the big, good straight trees and leaving the others. Most here do it that way.

the few timber deeds I've seen specified the size tree that could be cut.....like 18" diameter, 15 inches above the ground. Something along that line and would include a fine or penalty for trees that were cut and too small. Still looks like a bomb went off when they finish.

Here, we call that high grading and its not something you want to do. Here, we cull the poor trees like culling cattle leaving the best and when things are ready we peel the hide off the place and start over. No need to leave junk.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Does select harvest mean taking the big, good straight trees and leaving the others. Most here do it that way.

the few timber deeds I've seen specified the size tree that could be cut.....like 18" diameter, 15 inches above the ground. Something along that line and would include a fine or penalty for trees that were cut and too small. Still looks like a bomb went off when they finish.

Here, we call that high grading and its not something you want to do. Here, we cull the poor trees like culling cattle leaving the best and when things are ready we peel the hide off the place and start over. No need to leave junk.

Don't know that they're leaving junk so much Joe as their just leaving immature trees that will be cut a few years down the road.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”