Big carcasses a problem?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Big carcasses a problem?

Postby 1982vett » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 pm

0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Clod Hopper
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Big carcasses a problem?

Postby Clod Hopper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Seems like the cattle buyers prefer the bigger framed calves. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that this will have to be driven from the top down to get the size reduced.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 pm

It's supply and demand system, I'll supply what demands the most dollars.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 pm

It goes back to fitting the box. The larger primal cuts don;t fit it anymore. It was explained to me that the average consumer (whatever the heii that is) wants a 1 inch steak that weighs 1 pound.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm

I was aware, of most of the things pointed out. I think our share of the meat market, will continue to shrink. I also think, that most peoples shopping habits are driven by economics. They need to be able to afford a steak, or roast to be able to buy it. I'm telling the truth. We only have steak and roast in our house, when something has been injured here on the farm, or is largely unmarketable for some reason. We haven't had anything like that in a while, and I haven't had a roast in 3 years.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

I dunno.I bought a whole boneless pork loin at H-E-B (a Texas retail grocery chain) today and it's longer than any I've seen in years.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 am

Bigfoot wrote:I was aware, of most of the things pointed out. I think our share of the meat market, will continue to shrink. I also think, that most peoples shopping habits are driven by economics. They need to be able to afford a steak, or roast to be able to buy it. I'm telling the truth. We only have steak and roast in our house, when something has been injured here on the farm, or is largely unmarketable for some reason. We haven't had anything like that in a while, and I haven't had a roast in 3 years.

What do you eat chicken and tofu? I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I was aware, of most of the things pointed out. I think our share of the meat market, will continue to shrink. I also think, that most peoples shopping habits are driven by economics. They need to be able to afford a steak, or roast to be able to buy it. I'm telling the truth. We only have steak and roast in our house, when something has been injured here on the farm, or is largely unmarketable for some reason. We haven't had anything like that in a while, and I haven't had a roast in 3 years.

What do you eat chicken and tofu? I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.

Chicken.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 am

At my house we're equally dangerous to all animals.
Last edited by callmefence on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Chicken.

I can stomach chicken about once/month and it better be fried..or seasoned very strongly to rid the air of that nasty chicken smell.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 am

:2cents: The drive to grow larger higher maintenance cattle, imo puts the beef industry on the same track the chicken industry when down . If left unchecked it will reach a point where only one or a couple of breeds will work. And that will lead to all commercial cattle being produced under contract. A good calf that doesn't fit the "specs" laid out by the contract will be discounted sharply if accepted at all.
I've used Angus bulls for years. But I do believe the bubble will burst on the cab scam and black hides. :2cents:
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm

callmefence wrote::2cents: The drive to grow larger higher maintenance cattle, imo puts the beef industry on the same track the chicken industry when down . If left unchecked it will reach a point where only one or a couple of breeds will work. And that will lead to all commercial cattle being produced under contract. A good calf that doesn't fit the "specs" laid out by the contract will be discounted sharply if accepted at all.
I've used Angus bulls for years. But I do believe the bubble will burst on the cab scam and black hides. :2cents:

Wagau has black hide, I traded fish and shrimp for some Wagau steaks and I got the best end of that deal. I do agree Fenceman, about any bovine that's been raised and fed to eat is good.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Man ! I'd Like to have several pairs like the ones on that page...one things for sure with her type, you can go way up or down in carcass size...
0 x
a liberal is a man, that will give away everything he doesn't own..

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:25 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote::2cents: The drive to grow larger higher maintenance cattle, imo puts the beef industry on the same track the chicken industry when down . If left unchecked it will reach a point where only one or a couple of breeds will work. And that will lead to all commercial cattle being produced under contract. A good calf that doesn't fit the "specs" laid out by the contract will be discounted sharply if accepted at all.

Wagau has black hide, I traded fish and shrimp for some Wagau steaks and I got the best end of that deal. I do agree Fenceman, about any bovine that's been raised and fed to eat is good.

I'd like to get my hands on a waygu steer or a x. Had some Angus heifers go through a while back bred to waygu bull. I thought to long and they where gone. I demand a good steak myself grit.
But lots of our market eats on a budget.
1 x

David Crockett

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”