Toledo Candy Scale

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Toledo Candy Scale

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:40 pm

I guess I've owned it long enough. A friend wants me to price it to him. I bought the thing 10 or so years ago at an FFA benefit auction and I thought I paid to much at $450.00. I'm looking around and found one similar that was listed on Ebay at $650.00 but the person took it off before the auction ended. I don't have a clue how to price it.

It's a 15 lb Candy Scale.

0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Toledo Candy Scale

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:19 pm

I sure like it but you gave as much as I would. Ask too much and you can always come down.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:29 pm

We paid close to $1000 for a REALLY NICE 55 lb scale that is in 1/4 lb increments.. Stathmos brand
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

KMURBAN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby KMURBAN » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:32 pm

I can see eBay sold listings and a dealer for 20 years. 300 - 400 would be a fair price. Depends on how good a friend and what your willing to take...
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:47 am

He's one of my better friends and I had thought more around $200, but haven't told him yet. Might have to rethink this. Thanks!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 am

slick4591 wrote:He's one of my better friends and I had thought more around $200, but haven't told him yet. Might have to rethink this. Thanks!

While a good friend he would have to give me what I got into it probably I think it's fair unless he's helping you out alot.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 am

I had a system back when I was catering. I would do lots of school benefits and basically charge them costs, then I would turn around and spend that money back on their auction. All their items were donated so they got all their money back and I would leave with something. This is how I bought that scale.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 am

Basically what you have in it would be fair. Have seen similiar for 500 and up.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks. I'll probably have to something soon as the wife will eventually get tired of it being on the dining table.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 pm

slick4591 wrote:I guess I've owned it long enough. A friend wants me to price it to him. I bought the thing 10 or so years ago at an FFA benefit auction and I thought I paid to much at $450.00. I'm looking around and found one similar that was listed on Ebay at $650.00 but the person took it off before the auction ended. I don't have a clue how to price it.

It's a 15 lb Candy Scale.

If it was mine I would ask him to make an offer. You need to do this to see how good of friend he is.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm

I have and he won't, but I knew that to start with. He never pays asking price unless he knows it's too cheap to start with and will tell you that he doesn't price other people's stuff. Thinking more about it today...I think I'll throw out a higher price to him before I take it to the auction house. That way he can go there to see if he can get it for a better price if he doesn't accept.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 am

slick4591 wrote:I have and he won't, but I knew that to start with. He never pays asking price unless he knows it's too cheap to start with and will tell you that he doesn't price other people's stuff. Thinking more about it today...I think I'll throw out a higher price to him before I take it to the auction house. That way he can go there to see if he can get it for a better price if he doesn't accept.

I also will not price other people's things. I don't make offers to people on stuff. If I feel their asking price is fair, I will pay it and not haggle. I think giving him a price , and then if he refuses, taking it to an auction house if the most fair way to do it. You will get what it is worth at the time to whoever is bidding, he will have the chance to buy it if he really wants it.
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm a little different in that if you ask me to make an offer I will. It will be a low ball one but it's a starting place. Also, if I ask you to make an offer I have already planned to be offended by it.
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm

farmerjan wrote:I also will not price other people's things. I don't make offers to people on stuff. If I feel their asking price is fair, I will pay it and not haggle. I think giving him a price , and then if he refuses, taking it to an auction house if the most fair way to do it. You will get what it is worth at the time to whoever is bidding, he will have the chance to buy it if he really wants it.

I, too, hate haggling. It makes me feel cheap and can create animosity quickly. Slick, do you have an antique store nearby that would either have something similar or take a look at it for you? I might start there. Ebay is tough, there's a lot of factors to it. I've sold items on there for 30% than the closest number suggested, even on better items. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 pm

We have two in town and the only scales they had were cotton scales. They are all dealers that rent booths and none of those there that day had a clue.
1 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”