Walmart self check-outs................

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Walmart self check-outs................

Postby jltrent » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 am

Every time I go to checkout at Walmart it is either a long wait, as very few human checkouts anymore, or go struggle to self-check out myself. I am getting better, but still hate it. Does anybody like the self checkouts?
Last edited by jltrent on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Walmart self check-outs................

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 am

jltrent wrote:Every time I go to checkout at Walmart it is either a long wait, as very few maned checkouts anymore, or go struggle to self-check out myself. I am getting better, but still hate it. Does anybody like the self checkouts?

I love them. Here at Maysville very few people use self check. I think they are too lazy.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am

Bright Raven wrote:
jltrent wrote:Every time I go to checkout at Walmart it is either a long wait, as very few maned checkouts anymore, or go struggle to self-check out myself. I am getting better, but still hate it. Does anybody like the self checkouts?

I love them. Here at Maysville very few people use self check. I think they are too lazy.

Maybe their EBT cards aren't compatable.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Maybe their EBT cards aren't compatable.

I wondered about that. My guess is that an EBT card can only be tendered by a clerk.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:32 am

I like them if I only have a few items. If I have a cart full of groceries, I find it time consuming and awkward because the area just left of the scanner is very small and not much room to try to use more than one bag at a time, unlike the rotating bag holder at the clerk assisted checkout. I usually end up with a bunch of half filled bags instead of fewer completely filled ones.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 am

Success seems to depend on the scanners involved. Some aren’t fast readers and you have to go slow and deliberate. Others are super fast and if you go slow it rings up twice. In the same boat you have the one that does it quick and quiet and you scan an item several times before you realize it has been scanning all along. I guess their are still some out their that tell you to bag the item, but if you remove the bag for a new one you’ve messed it up. Another thing one has to do is be darn sure it has a ledgable code....course that helps at any checkout.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 am

Bright Raven wrote:I wondered about that. My guess is that an EBT card can only be tendered by a clerk.

Not here. It's computerized and the machine will tell those folks how much money they need to pay for items that don't qualify.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am

Yep the self checkout will tender any form of payment. It's a product of technology and the machine is a whole lot smarter than the avg cashier. It also has to do with labor bring the most controllable expense , the biggest waste of payroll is cashiers . You have a labor plan that predicts the labor needed during peak times which is only a few hours a day. You can not get help that only wants to come in at 4pm and leave at 6pm after the rush is over so you have to schedule min of 4 hrs so 2 hrs x 6 or 8 cashiers is technically wasted.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 am

I kinda feel bad for the cashiers as it has to be demoralizing to be checking people out, and across from them people are doing it them-self. I am sure they are wondering how much longer they will have a job.

Also they never get a break as Walmart always have minimum cashiers available checking out now. I have a couple neighbors that work really hard as cashiers at Walmart and been there along time, I hope Walmart takes care of them.
1 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

I like them for a few items like GB said. I can check myself and be gone in less time than it takes to wait in line for the others. It won't be but a few years until there's more self checkout than people. I saw where amazon was trying something like it in a store
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am

New rule- if you're checking out at Walmart and an item won't scan, you get it for free.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 am

I have a problem with Wal-Mart period a company earnings that would be rated in the top 30 countries GDP.
It also rivals major oil companies and they refuse to pay a living wage or benefits.
Their customer service sucks.
5 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 am

Very rarely do I go to wal-mart but when I do I go to the selfcheckout. It's much faster.

I do as much as possible at HEB. I have seen managers come out in heels to bag groceries when it got busy.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 am

Bright Raven wrote:

I wont use them at all, and has nothing to do with being lazy ! I don't use the drive through at fast foods either and I don't go through the drive through at banks. when I do business with a place I expect it to have a real person to talk to me one on one , face to face. I also don't do text if a person cant talk one on one with me we don't do business. We are raising, the way I see it, a generation of people that cant have a friendly one on one conversation with a stranger anymore. So no I wont use the self check outs, and when I check out any place I make it a point to say something good to who ever is working. and most of the time they are smiling when I walk away.
do what works for you but that's the way I do it.
3 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am

BRYANT wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I wont use them at all, and has nothing to do with being lazy ! I don't use the drive through at fast foods either and I don't go through the drive through at banks. when I do business with a place I expect it to have a real person to talk to me one on one , face to face. I also don't do text if a person cant talk one on one with me we don't do business. We are raising, the way I see it, a generation of people that cant have a friendly one on one conversation with a stranger anymore. So no I wont use the self check outs, and when I check out any place I make it a point to say something good to who ever is working. and most of the time they are smiling when I walk away.
do what works for you but that's the way I do it.

I like your philosophy. When I am out, I try to laugh or use humor to contribute to others having a good day. It works. There is a stocking guy at the meat area at Krogers. When we see each other we both smile because we are anticipating the crazy fun we have.
2 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”