Tipping aside from restaurants

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Tipping aside from restaurants

Postby TCRanch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 pm

herofan wrote:NEW question:

What if someone does a small task and doesn’t charge you; do you tip them? For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently. He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself. I asked what I owed him and he said, “no charge.” I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway. What about other similar situations?

When my vet says "no charge" I don't tip but I generally drop by with homemade cookies or candy. This is a small town and a lot of people just go out of their way to do something above & beyond. If it's additional work for a job they're being paid for I make sure their boss knows how much we appreciate it and reciprocate by inviting them to fish in our watershed lake (or hunt sheds, take as many rocks as they want for landscaping, whatever) and if it's a neighbor doing something out of the kindness of their heart I return the favor by helping work cattle, pick up their mail if they're out of town (again, whatever). There are some situations where it just feels more appropriate to tip but it's generally if I don't know them well enough to engage on a more personal level. BTW I always tip my hairdresser a minimum of 20%, not including her Christmas "bonus". She's totally worth it!
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 pm

What if someone does a small task and doesn’t charge you; do you tip them?
For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently.
He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself.
I asked what I owed him and he said, “no charge.” I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway.
What about other similar situations?

No.
Tipping etiquette never tip Drs, judges, law enforcement, government workers, business owners, plumbers, installers, repairmen, technicians, Fed Ex, UPS or USPS delivery person.

Always tip personal service providers (bell hops, doormen, baristas, bartenders, waiters and waitresses) entertainers (musicians, clowns ect) flower and food delivery, delivery people that enter home with item and clergy performing
wedding ceremonies.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

I always tip the young guys/gals that load out at the feed stores.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

What if someone does a small task and doesn’t charge you; do you tip them? For example, I took my calf with the broken leg by the vet recently. He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself. I asked what I owed him and he said, “no charge.” I thanked him and left.

So, would you guys have given him something anyway. What about other similar situations?

I recently repaired a fence that I'd built just a few months ago for a neighbor. A fat calf, very athletic fat calf, escaped the sort pen when we were loading (I was helping sort and load) a trailer to head to the yards. About a week later, I was in TX at Fence's place, and a couple of my buddies went to rope the fat out of the cow pasture she'd let herself into. Long story short, the fence stopped her a few times, but the last time she hit it, she waded through it. My customer was impressed with how well the fence took it, and never did ask me to fix it. We back our work unconditionally for the first year, so his fence is fixed. No charge, even though it wasn't anything I had done wrong....except letting fatty McGee past me at warp speed. He tipped me a 30 pack of Busch Light, which means more than cash, since my old customer visited and drank a few with me. Like I said, it's nice to be appreciated. Appreciation doesn't have to cost money.

The ladies were intrested in how the Gripples worked to make a quick repair. :lol2:

The Gripple rep at the Farm show was young and not very knowledgeable, he was in the stay tuff booth.

You'll have that kind of thing once in a while. When I agreed to take on my deal with Tornado, part of it was that I'm not allowed to quit building fence. Nobody likes a salesman that doesn't understand his product or customers.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 pm

Son of Butch wrote:

He gave me the spill in options and suggested putting her down. I actually took her back and performed that myself.

No.
Tipping etiquette never tip Drs, judges, law enforcement, government workers, business owners, plumbers, installers, repairmen, technicians, Fed Ex, UPS or USPS delivery person.

Always tip personal service providers (bell hops, doormen, baristas, bartenders, waiters and waitresses) entertainers (musicians, clowns ect) flower and food delivery, delivery people that enter home with item and clergy performing
wedding ceremonies.

This is the way it is supposed to be as far as the etiquette I was taught.
You usually don't tip the owner or boss but might those working under him/her.
Service providers ok but not always necessary. Just depends.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Rule of thumb: personal services yes, business to business service no.

If you view cattle as your business no.
If you view your cow as part of the family then yes.
0 x

Stones
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stones » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:51 am

I always tip the guys that load at the feed store as well. Seems to make their day, and I get in and out pretty quick.
0 x
I can fix a lot of things...stupid is not one of them.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 am

herofan wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:We went deep sea fishing out of Corpus with a bunch of Yankee Engineers I worked with. There were 4 deck hands. There were two captains. There was a cook. 3 day trip. They "passed the hat" on the third day and I put in $50. It turned out the entire tip for over 20 people came to just over $200 . That was terrible. The next time out many of us took out wives. I got a pocket full of $5 bills before we went out. The deck hand helped my wife land a fish and I stayed the heck out of the way. Handed him $5 when he was done. The other deck hand on that shift was watching. Next thing you know he's kissing her tail. I hand him $5. People were sleeping and they would rig up and then yell, "Where's your wife?" and I'd drag her over. They'd put her in the chair and coach her all thru it. Between the 2 days shift deck hands and the 2 night shift deck hands, I must have gone thru $150 over the 3 days. It was worth every penny to me. My wife had an awesome trip and we came home with limits in just about everything.

Were they getting paid a salary for the trip, or working strictly on tips?

I cannot honestly answer. The captain made it clear that much of the deck hand compensation came from tips. That was in a casual chat while I was taking a break and eating. He could have been feeding me a line as far as I know. But he seemed straight forward. I never asked the deck hands what their salary consisted of. That's not something I would do.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Last charter I was on the captain told me up front the deckhand only worked for tips and wasn't paid a trip fee or anything. Every other charter I've been on no one ever mentioned that was their base salary. In this case the deckhand got 15% of the trip costs and the captain didn't get any because he and I had a contract.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:07 pm

This has been an eye opener. I don’t recall being taught anything about tipping when I was growing up. I don’t think we ever went to the type of restaurant where one tips when I was a kid, and tipping certainly was never mentioned anywhere else. I saw tipping in movies, but i thought it was just something big-shots did. I guess I was just a “poor boy” and apparently still am.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Was just reminded of the movie Opportunity Knocks.
Don't believe in being much of a tipper neither unless waitress or whoever goes above and beyond and truly deserve it.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:27 pm

herofan wrote:This has been an eye opener. I don’t recall being taught anything about tipping when I was growing up. I don’t think we ever went to the type of restaurant where one tips when I was a kid, and tipping certainly was never mentioned anywhere else. I saw tipping in movies, but i thought it was just something big-shots did. I guess I was just a “poor boy” and apparently still am.

"Poor" is subjective, as is "rich". You may not have been exposed to situations where tipping was common when you were growing up and may not frequent them now (quite possibly by choice) but that absolutely does not define your status (which is highly overrated anyway).
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 pm

I tip:
Pizza delivery folks. If I'm too lazy to cook and too lazy to pick it up, then I believe in throwing the person 5 bucks for delivering my food.

My garbage man. At Christmas time, I greet him with a $50.00 bill. There is pretty much nothing he won't take if I put it out by the toter. I appreciate that.

My mechanic. I always bring Chris a case of Miller Lite when my vehicle is ready. He takes great care to get my vehicle back quickly and correctly.

My barber. My schedule is screwy. She squeezes me in short notice and knows exactly how I like it cut.

Waitresses, baggage folks, etc. My mother waited tables and I have vivid recollection of how tired she was when she got home and would tell stories about folks stiffing her, or leaving petty change. If you can afford to eat out, then you can afford to leave a tip to the folks handling your food and cleaning your mess when you're done.

As far as not tipping plumbers, or tradesman.... I received tips regularly while employed as a plumber. Sometimes cash, sometimes lunch. You ALWAYS remember the people that treat you well. If I have folks work for me, which is rare, but when I do, I buy them lunch and the hired hands get $20's.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Son of Butch wrote:

No.

wedding ceremonies.

Must be a Frostbite Falls tradition.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Miss Manners :)
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”