Will this affect farmers?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Will this affect farmers?

Postby slick4591 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:23 am

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I'm thinking one of the big reasons we started importing so much steel was because Americans got greedy and caused the price to skyrocket with the unions and such. This make me wonder if we are not setting our self up for rinse and repeat situation.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 am

He needs to put a tariff on imported beef to help us hobby farmers.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 am

slick4591 wrote:Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I'm thinking one of the big reasons we started importing so much steel was because Americans got greedy and caused the price to skyrocket with the unions and such. This make me wonder if we are not setting our self up for rinse and repeat situation.

When we had good wages being paid to union workers producing something we did not have the national debt at the level it is now.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 am

slick4591 wrote:Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I'm thinking one of the big reasons we started importing so much steel was because Americans got greedy and caused the price to skyrocket with the unions and such. This make me wonder if we are not setting our self up for rinse and repeat situation.

Bush 2002 steel tariffs. We were paying 2.50a foot at one point for used drill pipe. I've recently been paying .75 for new pipe. .. simangus hit the nail on the head. If the tariffs had never been removed everything would have stabilized.
Yesterday morning my steel guys wouldn't talk prices. Buy the end of the day they told me to come on. We're heading to San Saba this morning with two trucks and floats. Buying it at the same price I bought it Last week.
I've got plenty of material in stock as well. The way I see it. Let it go up. If it goes up 25percent I'll make 25 percent on my stock. Everyone is playing in the Same arena. Those prepared will do just fine. Those that aren't will be subject to extreme price gouging by companies using the tariffs as a excuse.
3 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:42 am

The only way to fix something is to repair or replace. We're in need of a lot of fixing in the US of A.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Every one likes to support domestic unless it costs more... Then they want China.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 pm

ga.prime wrote:Price of steel's gonna get so high the Mexicans won't be able to pay for Trump's wall.

If we tax the steel they export to us at 25 percent. They will have it paid for in approximately 5 years.... :idea:
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Last I took was $3/hundred. No short and long just a straight 3. Chinese steel is crap anyway. We buy from all over the world. Maybe I'll start seeing made in USA stamped on it again.

A few weeks ago, we got $6/hundred.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”