A friend rethinks things

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
herofan
GURU
GURU

A friend rethinks things

Postby herofan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:21 pm

I’m sure everyone has heard the saying that goes something like, Nobody ever said on their deathbed, “Gee, I wish I’d spent more time at the office.”

I won’t go into great detail about the accident, but I have a friend in his 50s who had a work-related accident that may cause him to never walk again. He is blue-collar, self-employed with a side job or two. He’s one of those “on the go” types who usually works 6 days a week from daylight until past dark. Like many these days, all the work isn’t because he’s struggling to put food on the table and clothes on his back, but it’s for the extras in life that most all of us like.

The thing is, the accident has given him a lot of thinking time on his hands and he has re-evaluated his life. He told me that if the Lord ever let him walk again and get back to some kind of normalcy, he was going to make some changes in his life. For one, he was going to stop working like there was no tomorrow; his shop door was going to close every day at 4:00 or 5:00 instead of 9:00 or 10:00, he was going to give up his side jobs, and he was going to spend more time with his wife, grandchildren, and maybe help his son-in-law in a more casual manner. He said he has spent his life so far running around with his tongue out like a panting dog reaching for the dollar and thinking that down time was wasted time. He said he didn’t care if he had to sell all his “extras.” He said that somehow his current situation has made all that stuff and his previous lifestyle seem unimportant.

It’s sad that when some people have a major event like this in their life, it helps them realize that they need to stop and smell the roses. Then again, some people might evaluate their lives at a time like this and discover it’s all good even if they are "on the go" all the time. Who knows.
5 x

mwj
GURU
GURU

Re: A friend rethinks things

Postby mwj » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:55 pm

It is sad that it takes a life changing event to make us step back and look at our life.
1 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:15 pm

What I've always gone by, is you have to work hard to play hard. I quit running the buck 17 years ago, my daughter didn't recognize me at her 3rd birthday party. I thought I was really something flying in to surprise her and all she did was cry when I tried to hold her. Screw that, you only have one life to live and putting money in front of your family is bs.
I wish your friend well.
6 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I consider work my hobby, and enjoy being busy. I bet if you'd asked your friend his hobby a month ago, he would have said something similar. The difference being "time on his hands".

I was almost killed in '06. No earthly reason for me to be here (shy of a miracle). I had similar thoughts, and devoted more time to my children. I did real good for a while, but I have found myself reverting back to my old ways.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:18 pm

1989....made the same decision. Never looked back. I wish all the best to your friend.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

WORANCH
GURU
GURU

Postby WORANCH » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:48 am

Heart attack 2 years ago did it for me . Life is to short make the best of it .
0 x
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:34 pm

All the above. Gave up my last outside job in '08 at age 58.

I don't regret it, but worked harder and longer here at home than I did on a job. Had 4x bypass in 2015..slowed down quite a bit after that and actually slow down enough to 'smell the roses' every once in a while.

When I read things like this, I always think of my twin. He just HAD to keep working, keep that check coming in even tho he was already full vested in his retirement and SS eligible, & even tho for the last year and 1/2 he said he hated the job. Finally retired last July..we buried him Monday before Thanksgiving.
Was not how I had always envisioned he & I and our families would spend the last years of our lives...without him.
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I consider work my hobby, and enjoy being busy. I bet if you'd asked your friend his hobby a month ago, he would have said something similar. The difference being "time on his hands".

I was almost killed in '06. No earthly reason for me to be here (shy of a miracle). I had similar thoughts, and devoted more time to my children. I did real good for a while, but I have found myself reverting back to my old ways.

I honestly don’t think he would have said work was his hobby; I think he just got addicted to being busy to the point that it became normal.
It seems like that’s how most people live these days, so it seems normal. Now that he has time on his hands and can barely do anything, he just wonders what it was all for.
1 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 pm

I was at gas station the othe day and the pumps would not accept cards; it was cash only. There was a man walking across the parking lot on his phone telling someone how he was in a big hurry, he didn’t have any cash on him, and pumps were cash only today.

I don’t know why that triggered something in me, but I thought how some people live their entire livesvthat way. That might be me on occasion, but it’s some people every day. They’re always in a hurry jumping from one activity to the next. I don’t know how people live like that.
2 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:33 am

True Grit Farms wrote:What I've always gone by, is you have to work hard to play hard. I quit running the buck 17 years ago, my daughter didn't recognize me at her 3rd birthday party. I thought I was really something flying in to surprise her and all she did was cry when I tried to hold her. Screw that, you only have one life to live and putting money in front of your family is bs.
I wish your friend well.

Must've stung, TG. Glad you got a wake-up call early. Bet you don't regret it and neither does she.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:44 pm

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm

greybeard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c

Dang you Greybeard that song makes me cry every time I hear it. It makes me proud and sad at the same time. I'm trying to get my oldest to come up and go turkey hunting, haven't seen him since before Christmas. He came up deer hunting once last season, and slept in two mornings. I always told him I was going to retire at 40, but didn't make it, nows he's telling me he's planning on retiring at 40, I sure hope he makes it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am

sadly when my wife passed I did that as well...me and my boy..we try to do more together but even just keepin up at times is hard..but we do it together much as we can...for 11..hes a great kid overall

8 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 pm

I was talking about this subject with a co-worker, and he made a simple but profound statement. He spoke of retiring at age 56 and slowing down. He said, "I don't want to be the guy when they eulogize me all they can come up with, including my family, is "he sure was a hard worker".
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I have a good friend that beat aplastic anemia as a 20 something in 1978. He made a promise to God while laying in that hospital bed, that if he’d get him out of that jam, he’d only work as much as he absolutely had to, and he’d spend the rest of his time hunting, trapping, or fishing. I had lunch with him today, and mentioned the pond he’s been going to dig for us....for three years.....and he reminded me that it’s almost turkey season and the mushrooms will be up before you know it. The man has his priorities in order, and has kept his promise to God.
3 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”