Regulations regarding power lines in Texas

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Regulations regarding power lines in Texas

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 am

slick4591 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Is any one aware of any regulations requiring companies to maintain a distance from vegetation to their lines? It seems like I have heard it mentioned several times but I can find it in writing any where. Seem like the distance was based on the amount of power the line carried.

Ive been looking on the Public Utility Commission website with no luck but it ALOT to read thru.

Michelle Gregg with the OPUC has been assisting lots of people out with complaints about their providers. Don't know, but maybe she could help you out. Her number is 512-936-7532.

Thank you
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 30, 2018 7:25 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:We are trying to make them clean their ROW and they are not wanting to. The whole deal has been neglected for years. There are spots you can't drive. We had cattle from another place come thru one of their gates about 6 months ago and a calf went under another one of their gates last week.

I'm looking for some one who regulates these guys. Some one you can call in and report neglect. I'm meeting a land man tomorrow but if it doesn't go our way its going to get nasty.

Most all their ROW are 30' for general lines. Not all lines are ran down the center.

Papers for the easement might have been signed many years ago but if you can put your hands on them I'm pretty sure they will spell out their responsibilities about maintaining their right of ways and you can hold them to it or take them to court. Juries are usually pretty sympathetic to property owners in cases like this.

Hmm thousands in attorney fees or a few gallons of diesel.

Attorney fees unless you want to face the same problem again in a very few short years.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 am

TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Papers for the easement might have been signed many years ago but if you can put your hands on them I'm pretty sure they will spell out their responsibilities about maintaining their right of ways and you can hold them to it or take them to court. Juries are usually pretty sympathetic to property owners in cases like this.

Hmm thousands in attorney fees or a few gallons of diesel.

Attorney fees unless you want to face the same problem again in a very few short years.

Rural
Utility companies in Texas are generally pretty good to work with. But if you take it THERE good luck. They are well protected by tort.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 am

Fence neighbor got to fighting with them about easement.
My dad had given half and the people he bought the land in the fifties.
New neighbors went to raising cane about fencing the easement with me saying no. Neighbor didn’t want them with ROW.
This Co-op moved all the easement over on to my property and took the poles down going to the neighbors as they didn’t have easement.
They got his mind right.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am

We have a weekender asking if they can have a easement across our property for electricity.....H e l l to the NO....The line should be taken down the road so that more people can benefit from it. Down the road it will cost this guy 15,000. Over the back part of our land, may save him a couple thousand bucks. His problem is, he wants electricity, the other few weekenders want electricity, but not as bad as the guy on the end. SO they are holding out so he'll have to pay for it all instead of breaking it up into around 4 pieces. He was thinking that if we let him take it in from behind, he'd have the power to give the others easements for which his plan was to not give an easement... Its not going across our land, so hope he's not holding his breath.... Whats crazy is they had no idea about getting electricity out here. I guess they just assumed everyone has a 'right' to electricity...Nope, should have checked that out before you bought the place. In fact, a guy bought the whole place and had no idea there was no electricity, but was smart and broke it up into 4 plots and sold it for 1,000 more an acre in less than a year...I'm sure he hoped the people buying didn't notice either.. I did see a couple guys out there one time and mentioned it, not knowing it was a realtor and a client.. he was not one who bought, You're welcome....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 pm

We had to go around the ex's sister to get power to a well. Cost another $16,000 After the divorce it cost the ex the additional $16,000 I still laugh about that part.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 pm

i have found they own they land when they want and can do whatever they want, but the rest of the times its yours to maintain. They will do what they want and know they can.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Talked with them today. They appear to be playing ball at this point. Guess we will see what kind of job they do.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:23 pm

The king dufus down the road paid a guy to give the electric company a easement to have the electricity routed to his house. It technically wasn't a easement, it was payment to have a ton of trees cut and to allow the electric company to have a easement...I think he paid the land owner 5000...he really wanted power. Anywho, he was suppose to cut the timber up for firewood and never did. That started a big war in which we sit back and watch. Dufus charged out there when the electric company came to cut the trees back, him saying that he bought that land and they were not allowed on it. Which makes absolutely no sense. He did not buy the land, and why would you prohibit the trees trimmed...He's also the one who protested his tiny little tree under the lines to not be cut, i'm guessing they felt he was unstable and a little dangerous. He made a lot of people mad and I bet that if his electricity goes out, he may have to wait a while for it to come back on.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 30, 2018 7:06 pm

I still owe my neighbor for the power company right of way he signed so we could have power. I mow his place 4 times every summer and sends me a $200 dollar check every time. I send all his checks back at Christmas, this has been going on for 12 years and counting. I go out of my way to help all my neighbors even the deadbeats and freeloaders. But so far nothing has been stolen or vandalized since we moved here. KARMA
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Around here which I live in Virginia last year they had a bunch of Mexicans spray under all our power lines. I don't know what spray they used , but they killed everything in a path I bet 50-75 wide. The larger trees it looked liked they took an ax and made a cut in an sprayed it and all died.
2 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 30, 2018 8:39 pm

jltrent wrote:Around here which I live in Virginia last year they had a bunch of Mexicans spray under all our power lines. I don't know what spray they used , but they killed everything in a path I bet 50-75 wide. The larger trees it looked liked they took an ax and made a cut in an sprayed it and all died.

Hearted that post!

Can you send them my way?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 pm

greybeard wrote:
jltrent wrote:Around here which I live in Virginia last year they had a bunch of Mexicans spray under all our power lines. I don't know what spray they used , but they killed everything in a path I bet 50-75 wide. The larger trees it looked liked they took an ax and made a cut in an sprayed it and all died.

Hearted that post!

Can you send them my way?

Not everybody was happy it appears. You can see from the pictures how it killed and the larger trees that are still green in the picture most died latter from the ax mark and being sprayed in. They said in the reading "Our job is to stay in this line, right here above us, to apply 20 feet to either side,"

I saw about 10 Mexicans at Walmart shopping that was doing the spraying with backpacks. I bet those poor Mexicans want live ten year after being exposed to all those herbicides for weeks from spraying.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local ... -455065332
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Yep, even the very large Red Cedars are dead
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:30 am

They did that one year here and killed a very old oak that shaded our corrals. They said they just sprayed roots under the line, but somehow this big tree soaked it up..We contacted them to at least come remove the tree because it was very dangerous...But got nothing. Husband had to remove it and although he's very good at removing trees, it turned at the last second and fell on the corner of the corral. He then had to replace that part, and while doing that added a much needed extension. Yesterday I was in the corral tending to a cow problem and really missed that shade...
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”