Got a good deal..

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got a good deal..

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:10 pm

BILL CLAYLAND wrote:Thanks Sky.
Would Hi mag mineral i give to the cows help?
Ill get their temp to rule out pneumonia and catch up with the vet

Your welcome I researched and it seems the only for sure help is methylene blue which i guess you get from the vet is supposed to be same you use for cows and pretty effective. I am not sure I would give them Hi Mag since a solution is pretty available. I personally would not give that to them.

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/art ... -nitrites/
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Ended up with 1400# of dry malt left over so.plan to put it in troughs and put milk on it. I fed them some dry which won't do anything but flow right through them

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:32 am

The first one there must be the runt and looks like the tail has either been clipped or froze off..........What did you use to worm them?

Are you gonna do one of these for the 4th?

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 pm

jltrent wrote:The first one there must be the runt and looks like the tail has either been clipped or froze off..........What did you use to worm them?

Are you gonna do one of these for the 4th?

Not sure what happened to the tail.. I fed them pumpkin seeds and garlic to start the worming process Saturday they will get wazine wormer in there water. Na it's too hot to cookout for me. I been selling some pigs out of the public pen this morning I'm done for the day relax time.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am

I heard that a Purina feed salesman showed up at Sky's place and said to Sky I can put you on a feed program that will get your hogs to market weight 2 weeks earlier than the way your are feeding now. Sky replied what is time to a hog.
2 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:07 pm

hurleyjd wrote:I heard that a Purina feed salesman showed up at Sky's place and said to Sky I can put you on a feed program that will get your hogs to market weight 2 weeks earlier than the way your are feeding now. Sky replied what is time to a hog.

:lol:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:01 pm

JLTrent I guess they have enough food lol

0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm

They are in hog heaven looks like. lol
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 pm

jltrent wrote:They are in hog heaven looks like. lol

They are... They love that dry barley malt I got I put in troughs put will on it one ate so much it threw up. Gotta keep the feed in front of them.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

They are... They love that dry barley malt I got I put in troughs put will on it one ate so much it threw up. Gotta keep the feed in front of them.
I had three sows a few years ago and if you want them to grow as you said "Gotta keep the feed in front of them". I really enjoyed raising the pigs, but a lot of work and short on time then and prices were low. A guy came and looked at them from Harlan Kentucky and I sold them all to him. I had a nice home built 3 point hitch crate for the back of my tractor that you could run/lure the hogs in and raise them off the ground and load in a trailer. I sold it also. One of these days I am going to build me another chicken house and hog house and raise some more.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 pm

jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I had three sows a few years ago and if you want them to grow as you said "Gotta keep the feed in front of them". I really enjoyed raising the pigs, but a lot of work and short on time then and prices were low. A guy came and looked at them from Harlan Kentucky and I sold them all to him. I had a nice home built 3 point hitch crate for the back of my tractor that you could run/lure the hogs in and raise them off the ground and load in a trailer. I sold it also. One of these days I am going to build me another chicken house and hog house and raise some more.

Nice what breed did you have?
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I had two Hampshires and one Duroc Sow and a neighbor had a Poland China boar that I would breed them to. Those Duroc's will sure get fat, but when they got fat seems they didn't have as many pigs. The Hampshires would have a lot more pigs. I have had them to lay on them and kill them, their tail froze off when they were born in cold weather, etc. etc. a lot of work.....Those Hampshire when they had pigs could get pretty mean.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 am

jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:I had three sows a few years ago and if you want them to grow as you said "Gotta keep the feed in front of them". I really enjoyed raising the pigs, but a lot of work and short on time then and prices were low. A guy came and looked at them from Harlan Kentucky and I sold them all to him. I had a nice home built 3 point hitch crate for the back of my tractor that you could run/lure the hogs in and raise them off the ground and load in a trailer. I sold it also. One of these days I am going to build me another chicken house and hog house and raise some more.

I had two Hampshires and one Duroc Sow and a neighbor had a Poland China boar that I would breed them to. Those Duroc's will sure get fat, but when they got fat seems they didn't have as many pigs. The Hampshires would have a lot more pigs. I have had them to lay on them and kill them, their tail froze off when they were born in cold weather, etc. etc. a lot of work.....Those Hampshire when they had pigs could get pretty mean.

yea your right. Guy I bought pigs from had a duroc boar he was a mean dude. I may eventually keep pigs all year round but no time soon.but when if I do I will make their barn completely out of pallets like the ones I use now. I will probably only raise Yorkshires.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Apparently my personal pigs get good mad scientist feed...it was a hit... Lol

1 part barley
2 parts fermented cherries
2 parts milk

1 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:25 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Apparently my personal pigs get good mad scientist feed...it was a hit... Lol

1 part barley
2 parts fermented cherries
2 parts milk

Where did you get the cherries?
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”