Power line easement

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Power line easement

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:25 am

TexasBred wrote:
ddd75 wrote:boy.. thats some crappy news when you just bought that place..

4 towers is a lot on a property.. They'll only pay where the towers are probably.. I doubt they'll pay where the lines are overhead.

They will have an easement everywhere the power line crosses. Most compensation is not based on the value of the little bit of land in the right of way but more on how the power line and any towers affect the market value of the entire place. A good attorney that specializes in eminent domain can make you a lot of money.

yea right.....

My wifes grandparents were in court over powerline placement for over 2 years and a lot of money.. In the end they put them where they wanted, logged the woods out, and payed them not even near market value (8-10k / ac land and they got I think 2500 compensation for 4 large towers on the property. only good thing is it is in the very back of the property and you can't see them very well.

good luck.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm

ddd75 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
ddd75 wrote:boy.. thats some crappy news when you just bought that place..

4 towers is a lot on a property.. They'll only pay where the towers are probably.. I doubt they'll pay where the lines are overhead.

They will have an easement everywhere the power line crosses. Most compensation is not based on the value of the little bit of land in the right of way but more on how the power line and any towers affect the market value of the entire place. A good attorney that specializes in eminent domain can make you a lot of money.

yea right.....

My wifes grandparents were in court over powerline placement for over 2 years and a lot of money.. In the end they put them where they wanted, logged the woods out, and payed them not even near market value (8-10k / ac land and they got I think 2500 compensation for 4 large towers on the property. only good thing is it is in the very back of the property and you can't see them very well.

good luck.

Like I said, get a good attorney. One that specializes in eminent domain. They will always put their right of way right where they want it and they will cut what trees that need to be cut. Trees have no value to anyone but you. If they paid your folks anything for the trees you're lucky. Never heard of a utility company putting up with someone that's little more than a nuisance for two years. They will usually just go ahead and file for eminent domain and you will get a letter when to show up to testify in front of the tribunal and they don't waste time. Sounds like they didn't negotiate a very good deal. Oh well better luck next time. :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:44 am

I knew that this power line was coming in when I bought the property. It is 40-50 acres per cow kind of ground. It is steep with lots of rock. There are no trees of any value. Just thin grass, sagebrush, and a few Junipers. The right of way is 150 feet wide and a little over a mile long. Right now it would take me well over an hour to walk from the house to the location of the closest tower and probably take at least a half hour to ride a quad to the location of the tower the farthest from the house. This is not easy ground. It is steep and rugged. There is a reason that there are bighorn sheep on this place. I do want to maximize the dollars I get but actually anything I get will be like free money. As I stated earlier my real concern is the possibility of heavy equipment traffic next the the spring that supplies water to the house.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:45 am

Jogeephus wrote:I gave a power line easement to the Southern Company and was paid nearly twice the value of the land. They put up a brand new fence and new gates and only they (or their contractors) can use this land. They also have a program called Wings where they will pay me to keep and maintain wildlife food plots in the easement area. In all, I haven't had any problems with any of this.

As an added bonus, since the power line is a major distribution line, I have since been offered some pretty good money from companies wanting to install solar farms since you can get an extra $0.02 kwh if the solar farm is located next to a trunk line. I haven't pursued this just yet but having this easement has given me more options in the future.

There are several solar panel farms planned to be installed in Hunt County Texas and North of Greenville. These are along a power line that moves power to Dallas. Projected tax revenue for some school districts in the neighbor hood of 1/2 million and more. Good hair asked if they would be powered with coal.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am

"Good hair" ?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:57 am

greybeard wrote:"Good hair" ?

Surely you remember Governor Good Hair from Texas.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Dave wrote:I knew that this power line was coming in when I bought the property. It is 40-50 acres per cow kind of ground. It is steep with lots of rock. There are no trees of any value. Just thin grass, sagebrush, and a few Junipers. The right of way is 150 feet wide and a little over a mile long. Right now it would take me well over an hour to walk from the house to the location of the closest tower and probably take at least a half hour to ride a quad to the location of the tower the farthest from the house. This is not easy ground. It is steep and rugged. There is a reason that there are bighorn sheep on this place. I do want to maximize the dollars I get but actually anything I get will be like free money. As I stated earlier my real concern is the possibility of heavy equipment traffic next the the spring that supplies water to the house.

I’d be darn sure they know the spring is your water scource and any contamination they cause they have to remedy.....might be a time the epa might be useful....but I doubt that. Might well be worth spending a few bucks to protect that.

We have a new line in the works here also. A route that might effect me is supposed to be on an existing easement along the highway. Not to much to be concerned about their. Their are so many alternate routes it could take that the map looks like a bowl of spaghetti.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:12 pm

We have surplus electricity here because the mining and forest products companies did not grow as projected.
Big fight is over adding or replacing pipelines. Indian reservations seem to have the most power on pipeline routing.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”