Ancestry

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Ancestry

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:55 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:My family tree looks like a loblolly pine..

My husband's from Pisgah. 'Nuff said. ;-)
1 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Ancestry

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:25 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Sasquatch.......... :lol: :lol: :hide:


More rare that that.
If I remember right 165 families with the surname.

Who did your test CB??


Ancestry.com
1 x

User avatar
Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Location: Wiergate,Tx.

Re: Ancestry

Postby Txpiney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 pm

msplmtneer wrote:Would I need to remove my chewing tobacco before I spit in the tube? :hide:

That would definitely skew the results :lol:
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15219
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Ancestry

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:02 am

Txpiney wrote:
msplmtneer wrote:Would I need to remove my chewing tobacco before I spit in the tube? :hide:

That would definitely skew the results :lol:
or you would show related to every hillbilly that drew a breath...
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1720
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ancestry

Postby herofan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 am

For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?

Are any of the online sites worth paying for?
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Ancestry

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am

herofan wrote:For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?

Are any of the online sites worth paying for?


Ours has been recorded since the 1600’s when the first outlaws settled in Maryland.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16444
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Ancestry

Postby greybeard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 pm

herofan wrote:For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?

Both

Are any of the online sites worth paying for?

Several years ago, most of the online sites were completely free...not any more. They'll get you in the ballpark and get you access to research other's with the same name have already done. Worth it? Depends just how badly you want to know what's in your woodpile.
Kentucky? Your tree will likely be pretty linear.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Ancestry

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:18 pm

herofan wrote:For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?

Are any of the online sites worth paying for?


Once you do it everybody else will know, as your information will be recorded, and if no laws past to protect you, maybe used against you one day or your family.
0 x

aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: northern MN

Re: Ancestry

Postby aprille218 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 pm

On Ancestry.com you have the option to keep the family tree you work on private. I liked how easy it was to trace my lineage back with the little knowledge that I had of my parents and grandparents.
0 x

User avatar
TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2684
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am
Location: Palmyra, TN

Re: Ancestry

Postby TN Cattle Man » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 pm

msplmtneer wrote:Would I need to remove my chewing tobacco before I spit in the tube? :hide:

Haha... I was thinking the same thing!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Ancestry

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:48 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:
msplmtneer wrote:Would I need to remove my chewing tobacco before I spit in the tube? :hide:

Haha... I was thinking the same thing!



After 46 years I gave that habit up about a year ago.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7947
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Ancestry

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:After 46 years I gave that habit up about a year ago.


What is there to live for after you give up haying and tobacco?
1 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Ancestry

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:After 46 years I gave that habit up about a year ago.


What is there to live for after you give up haying and tobacco?



Hunting,fishing,biscuits and gravy.
I am more concerned with the shape of the kitchen versus the cook at my age.
0 x

User avatar
Logan52
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: Ancestry

Postby Logan52 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 am

Had the same thoughts about chewing tobacco skewing the results.
Ancestry would be my choice because of large data base and easy to use.
You are right about Kentucky results being linear. My wife comes from about 50 miles away and across the river. It might as well be from another country. Two totally different groups of people came to Kentucky 200 years ago and continued to intermarry within their clan. Ancestry calls my group "Virginia Settlers" and hers "Eastern Kentucky".
Her clan is almost totally English and mine English with a good dose of Scotland.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29440
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Ancestry

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:18 am

Logan52 wrote:Had the same thoughts about chewing tobacco skewing the results.
Ancestry would be my choice because of large data base and easy to use.
You are right about Kentucky results being linear. My wife comes from about 50 miles away and across the river. It might as well be from another country. Two totally different groups of people came to Kentucky 200 years ago and continued to intermarry within their clan. Ancestry calls my group "Virginia Settlers" and hers "Eastern Kentucky".
Her clan is almost totally English and mine English with a good dose of Scotland.

Her family knew how to swim. Your's didn't. :lol: :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boot Jack Bulls and 5 guests