Jobs

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Jobs

Post by snoopdog » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 pm

I've been a pretty versatile person all my life, fast learner, not lazy, dedicated to whatever job I was doing at the time. Tried to be the best, most efficient I could be. Its never bothered me to fire a boss though, if they yelled or talked down to me, stick it. Been working at the same outfit for over 3 years now, wouldn't have even took the job, if it hadn't been for an old compadre that I drove truck with over 15 years ago. It was slip seating and nights which I was totally against, but I took it because of him, I knew it would be laid back. And I told him that I didn't want a bunch of overtime, I have cows, and things to do, and a life. I wanted to spend time with my wife after all those years on the road. All was well, until he quit about 3months ago, and I've been running 50- 60 hrs a week since. I know thats not much in the otr world, but I have an hour commute, and still have to take care of MY business, and its suffering. I guess what I'm saying is I'm fixing to tell them to stick it, but it sure doesn't come as easy as it did 20 yrs ago. But, I took the wildest ride of my life in an 18 wheeler 3 weeks ago tomorrow, because I was tired, and almost took out a line of cars in tulsa. Innocent people , who had no idea. I was looking at the traffic behind me out the driver's window, a higher power was with me and I pulled it out, I don't ever want to take another ride like that. I've had close calls ,but I've never put a scratch on another vehicle, and I haven't had a moving violation since 1998, so I think I can command some respect in the industry. Sorry for so long, just needed to vent.

Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Jobs

Post by greybeard » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:17 pm

You got your warning.....time to move on Snoop.
When a door closes, another opens.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Post by Workinonit Farm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 pm

I concur with greybeard.
Live each day as if it were your last.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 pm
I've been a pretty versatile person all my life, fast learner, not lazy, dedicated to whatever job I was doing at the time. Tried to be the best, most efficient I could be. Its never bothered me to fire a boss though, if they yelled or talked down to me, stick it. Been working at the same outfit for over 3 years now, wouldn't have even took the job, if it hadn't been for an old compadre that I drove truck with over 15 years ago. It was slip seating and nights which I was totally against, but I took it because of him, I knew it would be laid back. And I told him that I didn't want a bunch of overtime, I have cows, and things to do, and a life. I wanted to spend time with my wife after all those years on the road. All was well, until he quit about 3months ago, and I've been running 50- 60 hrs a week since. I know thats not much in the otr world, but I have an hour commute, and still have to take care of MY business, and its suffering. I guess what I'm saying is I'm fixing to tell them to stick it, but it sure doesn't come as easy as it did 20 yrs ago. But, I took the wildest ride of my life in an 18 wheeler 3 weeks ago tomorrow, because I was tired, and almost took out a line of cars in tulsa. Innocent people , who had no idea. I was looking at the traffic behind me out the driver's window, a higher power was with me and I pulled it out, I don't ever want to take another ride like that. I've had close calls ,but I've never put a scratch on another vehicle, and I haven't had a moving violation since 1998, so I think I can command some respect in the industry. Sorry for so long, just needed to vent.
Share away....hope all works out for you but you gotta look out for yourself and your family first.
I walked away from decent money when I retired from a paycheck but it was what was best for my sanity at the time. Had an opportunity to go back several times but opted not to. Can’t say I have any regrets.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Are they going to replace the guy that quit? Christmas time will be here before you know it and trucking hours usually pick up then, so to cut OT a new driver is needed.

Hootowl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hootowl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:43 pm

I'm getting old so 84 hours a week is all I want but 100 is ok.
Overtime pays lots more than cows but the enjoyment I understand.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:57 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:17 pm
You got your warning.....time to move on Snoop.
When a door closes, another opens.
Thank you, I think so.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 pm

I took a weeks vacation, to try and put up hay and maybe get the rest of my calves off the mommas, should be calving back in about 40 days. I've been in contact with some new customers on the hay side, and will be powwowing with some guys from the salebarns around this week. I haven't broke the news to them yet, but I don't owe them a dang thing.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Good luck, whatever you decide.
You can go to work for yourself and be like a lot of us here at CT...... you are almost sure to have a slave driver for a boss....
:lol:
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:44 pm

greybeard wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Good luck, whatever you decide.
You can go to work for yourself and be like a lot of us here at CT...... you are almost sure to have a slave driver for a boss....
:lol:
I am 78 and still can do a days work only problem it takes me three days to do it.

Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:39 am

Sometimes it's hard to walk away from the money, but there are more important things in life. Good luck to you.
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 am

Little Cow wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:39 am
Sometimes it's hard to walk away from the money, but there are more important things in life. Good luck to you.
Money want but everything but it will buy a lot of bacon.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks everyone, had vac scheduled for this week to put up hay. I have covered for everyone else on their vac, started texting me about the loads monday, and calling me all weekend. Told me I had an attitude problem, hahaha, sayanora.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 am

Happiness is best Snoop. Good luck to you in whatever you decide

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Allenw » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Son done that the other day, 6 ten hour night shifts a week for the last four months and he couldn't get a few days off that he needed.