CONTROL COWS FROM GOING UP OR DOWN A CREEK

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: CONTROL COWS FROM GOING UP OR DOWN A CREEK

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:15 am

ddd75 wrote:i hang an aircraft cable from posts or trees and cut cattle panels to fit the creek. leaving them about a foot over the water. only hang it from the cable at the top of the panel to act as a hinge.

That is the way mine is constructed but in high water, limbs and logs hang up in it.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:10 am

My water gaps are cables clamped together with tin hanging down.
Water flow lifts the metal, the cable clamps let the cable break away in the event of a large log. Nothing worse than trying to cut a log out of tangled up cable with a chainsaw standing in the creek.
1 x

KMURBAN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby KMURBAN » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 am

I have a gate in the pasture fence parallel to the creek, I use electric wire and go about 2 feet in the river then along the shore. We have a lot of kayakers so if you go across the creek they will cut it and possibly some liability issues. If flooding is expected I can close the gate if it gets washed out all is good. However I've had water over the electric wire by 4 feet and sometimes doesn't get washed out. Sometimes it does. Just depends on the amount of debris or ice. But I find less is better, less resistance. Just a single strand works best.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:24 am

I have one area I need to do something with and it has it's own unique problems. I don't have a picture of it but it looks kinda like this, except the fence along the river is not the nice neat looking thing in this drawing.

This is a narrow deep ravine that is the culmination of my pond's overflow channel and it joins the river channel about 20' beyond the fence.
Most of the time the ravine is dry.
In heavy rains, the water goes under the fence into the river,
but if it's a long period of rain, the river rises and starts backflowing into the ravine & pond overflow...the pond itself is about 1500' up the channel.
If the river continues to rise (It does sometimes get over the fence itself) then the flow in the whole area is from left to right in the drawing.

I've never lost the fence here, but I have had calves get down in the ravine in dry times and walk out under the fence into the dry part of the river channel. I need a baffle that will swing both in and out but won't get carried away down river once the flow is left to right over the whole thing. I had a strand of SS cable on crosstie posts with old tires threaded onto the cable but it and the crossties got swept away long ago.

Can't put a big post in the bottom of the ravine because it would catch too much debris.

???
There are a few trees nearby, but not close.
Top and cross section views
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:40 am

ddd75 wrote:i hang an aircraft cable from posts or trees and cut cattle panels to fit the creek. leaving them about a foot over the water. only hang it from the cable at the top of the panel to act as a hinge.

I did pretty much the same thing about 7 years ago in a wash that was fairly deep. On the bottom of the panels I hung some old and free truck mud flaps. Best I can tell you it's still there as the owner hasn't yelled at me about it.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Water gap in action.

0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:07 pm

greybeard wrote:I have one area I need to do something with and it has it's own unique problems. I don't have a picture of it but it looks kinda like this, except the fence along the river is not the nice neat looking thing in this drawing.

This is a narrow deep ravine that is the culmination of my pond's overflow channel and it joins the river channel about 20' beyond the fence.
but if it's a long period of rain, the river rises and starts backflowing into the ravine & pond overflow...the pond itself is about 1500' up the channel.
If the river continues to rise (It does sometimes get over the fence itself) then the flow in the whole area is from left to right in the drawing.

I've never lost the fence here, but I have had calves get down in the ravine in dry times and walk out under the fence into the dry part of the river channel. I need a baffle that will swing both in and out but won't get carried away down river once the flow is left to right over the whole thing. I had a strand of SS cable on crosstie posts with old tires threaded onto the cable but it and the crossties got swept away long ago.

Can't put a big post in the bottom of the ravine because it would catch too much debris.

???

Sounds like a job for conveyer belting. :nod:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 pm

greybeard wrote:I have one area I need to do something with and it has it's own unique problems. I don't have a picture of it but it looks kinda like this, except the fence along the river is not the nice neat looking thing in this drawing.

???

I have a few like that, where all the water from the highway flows through, about 15 foot deep. I have them with cattle panel strung across, with about 2 foot clearance under for regular rain flow and debris. When we get HEAVY rain it's one of the first things I check, and I fenced those areas off so I can lock the cattle out if I see huge rain on the forecast. I have plenty of cattle panel laying around to patch it. I
it's worked so far, with the force of the water and erosion of soil I am not going to sink a lot of money and chance it washing out. I used cattle gates before but after losing one of those washed out into the creek, cattle panel is cheaper.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Ohio Cowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ohio Cowboy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Saw this on a gap in New jersey. Hot wire up high with small chain link hanging down.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Ohio Cowboy wrote:Saw this on a gap in New jersey. Hot wire up high with small chain link hanging down.

Hard for me to tell how high that chain is hanging from. Kind of the same concept I used on a spring gate. I hung 12 gauge smooth wire from the spring in 1 foot intervals so I would only have to use 1 spring. Only the very small calves go through. As the calves get about 150 they can't make it anymore. It almost seems like there should be more chains on that.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ccr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 pm

This is a small creek that is dry most of the time.

0 x
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm

ccr wrote:This is a small creek that is dry most of the time.

My well to do King Charolais breeder on the other side of town has some made like that. Those are nice. Wish I was able to afford and justify the expense.
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 am

ccr wrote:This is a small creek that is dry most of the time.

That is a nice fence!
0 x

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ccr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 am

This is another water trap with a cable to open up and clean out limbs and debris after a rain.

0 x
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Poor man's fence. This part will probably be sold in a few years so I am not investing. This has worked. I cut the ends of the cattle panel and twisted them like wire around the tree. When there is a FLOOD the other side with the T post will give way is what I intend, this is a secondary rotational pasture. I run a 2 wire electric fence back here so the cattle avoid this spot, assuming for lack of grass, fear of electric wire and terrain.

0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”