Cow with twins not coming in heat

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
SEIOWACATTLE
Beginner
Beginner

Cow with twins not coming in heat

Postby SEIOWACATTLE » Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 pm

I have a 4 year old angus cow with twins that were born January 28th, she is in great shape has access to hay and fed grain every day because of the twins. The twins are creep fed to help the cow out a little. She has not came into heat yet and the calves will soon be 4 months old. She is with 6 other cows and has a heat patch on. I am assuming it is because of the twins is why. I was wanting to AI on a natural heat but since that isn't happening any suggestions on jump starting her cycle or protocol recommended?

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow with twins not coming in heat

Postby kenny thomas » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Take the calves away from her for 48 hours. Many times that will do it.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 pm

If taking the calves away doesn't jump start, she might need a lut shot or two. Give her a shot, 10 days later give her a second shot if no heat observed. The first shot might not catch her in the right stage of a cycle, the second will if she is ovulating. She could be having a silent heat and just not active enough to let anyone ride her. There are more involved protocols, with cidrs and timed shots, but the 2 shots of lut are an easy way to maybe get her to have/show a heat. I've used it on the dairy cross cows when they have 2-4 calves on them and not showing signs.

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 am

Set her up on a sync described in the thread by MRRH. When you pull the CIDR pull the twins off her for 2-3 days. More than likely she will come in. If you see on signs heat breed her anyway. Have had cows that we synced and bred on time. Never saw them in heat but they go pregnant.

Good luck.
Farmgirl

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 am

Farmgirl wrote:Set her up on a sync described in the thread by MRRH. When you pull the CIDR pull the twins off her for 2-3 days. More than likely she will come in. If you see on signs heat breed her anyway. Have had cows that we synced and bred on time. Never saw them in heat but they go pregnant.

Good luck.
Farmgirl

Worked for us. The cows came in heat and REALLY showed it too.

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”