SAV Bruiser

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
farmboy80
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: SAV Bruiser

Postby farmboy80 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 am

Nice calves.
0 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:17 am

How do they act LM? Pretty calm?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:20 am

Lazy M wrote:Checking the cattle and thought I'd add a few calf pics of Bruiser calves from this fall. All were born in early October.
Thick little bull calf that I left intact. He has been the king of the calves and I may use him if he develops well. I really like his mother.

Another bull calf that I left intact. I don't like him as much as the last, but I'll see how he looks at weaning before deciding to cut him or not.

Heifer calf

Heifer calf.
I had a total of 15 Bruiser calves this fall; 6 bulls and 9 heifers.

I enjoyed your pictures.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:37 pm

talltimber wrote:How do they act LM? Pretty calm?

No temperament issues with this group. Bruiser doesn't seem to improve or lower the docility of the dam. The calf will act about the same as it's mama when Bruiser is used.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:39 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Lazy M wrote:Checking the cattle and thought I'd add a few calf pics of Bruiser calves from this fall. All were born in early October.
Thick little bull calf that I left intact. He has been the king of the calves and I may use him if he develops well. I really like his mother.

Another bull calf that I left intact. I don't like him as much as the last, but I'll see how he looks at weaning before deciding to cut him or not.

Heifer calf

Heifer calf.
I had a total of 15 Bruiser calves this fall; 6 bulls and 9 heifers.

I enjoyed your pictures.

Thanks
0 x

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 am

We used Bruiser several years ago when he first came out. Loved the calves...big growth and bone, efficient as heck. We retained all the heifers out of him and they are having their first calves this spring and doing great. We are big fans.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm

What is Sav Bruiser's place? Is he only for commercial cattleman? Does he have any sons with Genex, Select or ABS?
How does he compare with other Angus bulls? Is he like a younger Chisum bull? An A.I. guy told me how ugly Bruiser is...he didn't see him in person. I'm wondering if he is a bull that produces functional cattle but just isn't the type of bull that would be a "sexy" choice for purebred breeders since he wasn't a $250,000 bull (or higher).
0 x

GN+
Beginner
Beginner

Postby GN+ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 am

Air gator wrote:What is Sav Bruiser's place? Is he only for commercial cattleman? Does he have any sons with Genex, Select or ABS?
How does he compare with other Angus bulls? Is he like a younger Chisum bull? An A.I. guy told me how ugly Bruiser is...he didn't see him in person. I'm wondering if he is a bull that produces functional cattle but just isn't the type of bull that would be a "sexy" choice for purebred breeders since he wasn't a $250,000 bull (or higher).

He never really caught on with the purebred guys it seems. Doesn’t matter to me though. Good,functional and efficient Cows are what I want regardless. He does now have one son at ABS though
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Here's a not quite 6 month old bruiser bull calf that I may retain.

0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Lazy M wrote:Here's a not quite 6 month old bruiser bull calf that I may retain.

Actually that is the same calf as the second pic that I posted above (#26). He is growing out pretty good.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:44 pm

GN+ wrote:
Air gator wrote:What is Sav Bruiser's place? Is he only for commercial cattleman? Does he have any sons with Genex, Select or ABS?

He never really caught on with the purebred guys it seems. Doesn’t matter to me though. Good,functional and efficient Cows are what I want regardless. He does now have one son at ABS though

It surprises me he hasn't caught on with the PB breeders. I saw one son in a sale in late Jan. He was by far the best bull in the sale IMO. He sold well but not as good as they thought he might. I may go look at a couple more they have this weekend. The few I've seen have had more stretch and rangier along with being heavy muscled. They have the herd bull look. Big boned and well balanced. I've looked at several more bulls by SAV sires and most of them I felt might not have the frame size I desire. Hopefully one of these bulls will be similar to the one I liked in the Jan sale.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Anyone ever seen an recent picture of Bruiser? I'd love to see how he looks today. Plan on using him some this next year.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:37 am

L&FAngusAcres wrote:Anyone ever seen an recent picture of Bruiser? I'd love to see how he looks today. Plan on using him some this next year.

That's the issue. He looks bad. And he actually lost weight between when he was sold and matured at ABS. Ironically, Woodhill Farms owns him and doesn't use him.

That said, his calves have tested well. I've used him. Calves are good. The ones out of my herd bulls seem as good or better. I'm a purebred guy and was hoping for the feed efficiency piece they saw at the ABS test site. Calves are good in that regard but don't seem to stand out (through weaning) compared to the others.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:41 pm

angus9259 wrote:
L&FAngusAcres wrote:Anyone ever seen an recent picture of Bruiser? I'd love to see how he looks today. Plan on using him some this next year.

That's the issue. He looks bad. And he actually lost weight between when he was sold and matured at ABS. Ironically, Woodhill Farms owns him and doesn't use him.

That said, his calves have tested well. I've used him. Calves are good. The ones out of my herd bulls seem as good or better. I'm a purebred guy and was hoping for the feed efficiency piece they saw at the ABS test site. Calves are good in that regard but don't seem to stand out (through weaning) compared to the others.

He did lose weight but I've been told they basically put the bulls on a diet in the Dairy stud barns not sure if this is the same with beef regardless quite abit of that weight he carried was fat and when taken off the hot ration I'm not surprised that he lost weight given he did lose quite abit (1515 at 21 months which is 58lbs less then his yearling weight of 1573). Just my 2 cents worth
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:41 pm

frieghttrain wrote:
angus9259 wrote:

He did lose weight but I've been told they basically put the bulls on a diet in the Dairy stud barns not sure if this is the same with beef regardless quite abit of that weight he carried was fat and when taken off the hot ration I'm not surprised that he lost weight given he did lose quite abit (1515 at 21 months which is 58lbs less then his yearling weight of 1573). Just my 2 cents worth

Good to know. I had used him, but it missed and I didn't have a calf. I think I'll abstain. I really don't like the particular breeder's program that he comes from. Really high wean and yearling weights. They get weight, but it's pounds vs. quality pounds. Since I'm not breeding for the sale barn, I'd rather breed for muscular cattle and not fat cattle.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”