New Genex bull Ironhide

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

New Genex bull Ironhide

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Breeding season for us is well underway. I am trying a new bull on several of our cows, and excited to see what we get.
Here is a link to his information and a picture: http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 54&lang=EN

We are also using Upgrade, Lock Down, Lock n Load, Broadway (new Select Sires bull, using him on our heifers http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=355) and One Eyed Jack. Super excited.... I love this time of year.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: New Genex bull Ironhide

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:21 pm

He's a monster that's for sure. Good luck with your breeding season.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:45 pm

FSR,
We ended up with several heifers by Long's Shear Pleasure - One-Eyed Jack's sire - and really like them. A lot. Thick-made, great dispositions; looking forward to seeing what sort of cows they make. Got very few LSP steers, but there are a couple in this fall's crop...looking good.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:52 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:He's a monster that's for sure. Good luck with your breeding season.

TT, ask Ron what he thinks of that bull. On one of his visits here, I took him to Genex in Strafford, MO and the bull was in isolation. He is the real deal! He is just as impressive, if not more, in real life. Small shoulders, good shaped head. Lots of meat.

Lucky, One Eyed Jack is a bit high for large use ($50 a straw, if I remember correctly), so I used him over some select heifers. Hopefully, we will know in about 2 weeks if they stuck or not! I have not seen a bunch of Sheer Pleasure calves out there, so I have no experience on his calves. I am surprised he is not used more.

I also like HPF Optimizer (SS). We had a nice white faced heifer a few days ago, and one due in the spring.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:02 pm

I'll text him tonight.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:18 pm

OEJ came out of the gate at $100/unit... all I could think was, "Why? Here's this unproven yearling, without even any calves on the ground. What makes them think his semen is worth that much - and who would pay that for it?"
I guess somebody did - or maybe they didn't, so they dropped the price to $50.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:39 am

Not sure, Kris... maybe LSP didn't get used all that much because he's not a purebred? Only 3/4 SM... but he sure worked nicely for us on 50:50 AN/SM and 3/4 SM-1/4AN cows.
Looks like his CED/BW epds have come down significantly since he first came out... originally, they were toutint him as a heifer bull - and he might be, but with CED of 4.6 and BW of 3.1, he wouldn't be my pick for use on most heifers here... though all the LSP calves we got were not noticeably any bigger than anything else in their contemporary groups - other than those by low-BW Angus sire.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Here is a link to his information and a picture: http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 54&lang=EN

WOW. Best billboard I've ever seen for endorsing f1 Angus-Simmi cattle.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 pm

I scratch my head how a bull in that condition with a frame 6 can only weigh 2020.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Aaron wrote:I scratch my head how a bull in that condition with a frame 6 can only weigh 2020.

It may be worth noting that they didn't give you a picture of him walking away from you ...
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:47 pm

FSR, looks like a nice lineup of sires and Ironhide looks impressive. I've been eyeing the new WS Stepping Stone bull at Cattle Visions. I like his looks and pedigree. Although I don't know if I'll expand AI'ing any of ours or not.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Do you register simangus cattle down there FSR? I've never looked into it up here, I'm not sure its even an option.

I have one simangus (75/25) bull I'd like to know more about, I could track down his breeding, but epd's would be nice also if it wasn't a huge hassle to acquire.

And yes, to look at his picture I question the 2020 also. He looks good though.
0 x

inyati13
GURU
GURU

Postby inyati13 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:Do you register simangus cattle down there FSR? I've never looked into it up here, I'm not sure its even an option.

I have one simangus (75/25) bull I'd like to know more about, I could track down his breeding, but epd's would be nice also if it wasn't a huge hassle to acquire.

And yes, to look at his picture I question the 2020 also. He looks good though.

Simangus cattle can be registered through ASA. FSSR has mostly purebred simmentals. I have several of my simangus registered.
0 x
A man's home is his Castle, A man's farm is his Kingdom. Prince Inyati.
Prince of Bright Raven Farm

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”