Upgrade Bull

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Bird
Beginner
Beginner

Upgrade Bull

Postby Bird » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:13 am

Anyone out there have any of the simmental Upgrade bull females in there herd? If so how do they turn out? And did you have a calfing issues from him? Thanks
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Upgrade Bull

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Bird wrote:Anyone out there have any of the simmental Upgrade bull females in there herd? If so how do they turn out? And did you have a calfing issues from him? Thanks

We do, and I wish I had more! I love each and every one; we have several half bloods and purebreds. Never had a problem with any of them. They can come big for a first calf heifer, but we never had any problems. If you are concerned, use heifer sexed semen on heifers.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bird
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bird » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks FSR, We will being using him on middle age cows. Upgrades actual bw is just a higher than we like to see, so I was just wondering if he would throw any calves with that bw?
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:48 am

Bird wrote:Thanks FSR, We will being using him on middle age cows. Upgrades actual bw is just a higher than we like to see, so I was just wondering if he would throw any calves with that bw?

Upgrade is an embryo himself, so you can not put much weight on the birth weight because the recipient dam has more to do with that. He will throw a big calf from a big cow, but we have never touched one and most are in the 80 to low 90 pound range.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:53 am

By the way, this fall we weighed yearling weights for the heifers, and the Upgrades were far superior to the others. Both Upgrade heifers were right at the thousand pound mark. Meaty, and big bones. Everyone that walks our pasture picks out the two Upgrades first, and want to buy them. We keep those for ourselves, since we know how great they are in production!
0 x

Bird
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bird » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 pm

FSR, How are the dispositions of the Upgrade calves?
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:42 am

Bird wrote:FSR, How are the dispositions of the Upgrade calves?

Spectacular, eat out of your hand type.
0 x

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:33 pm

I`m glad to hear they are making good cows since we just bought a Upgrade heifer. She was out of a heifer and they used sexed semen. She is very calm has a big middle and plenty of grow to her. We plan on breeding her to One Eyed Jack and hope for a baldy heifer. I just used Upgrade on 2 cows last month that I feel needed the extra growth.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:24 pm

jd720 wrote:I`m glad to hear they are making good cows since we just bought a Upgrade heifer. She was out of a heifer and they used sexed semen. She is very calm has a big middle and plenty of grow to her. We plan on breeding her to One Eyed Jack and hope for a baldy heifer. I just used Upgrade on 2 cows last month that I feel needed the extra growth.

Funny, we just bred our two Sept Upgrade heifers to One Eyed Jack. One was 21 days yesterday, the other is 21 Monday. So far, so good.
We have lots of Upgrade calves due in the spring.
0 x

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:44 pm

My thoughts are this heifer already has enough grow and belly so One eyed Jack should add the style. I haven`t had any One Eyed jack calves but he seems to be working well on heifers. I plan on using more now that it`s $50.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:By the way, this fall we weighed yearling weights for the heifers, and the Upgrades were far superior to the others. Both Upgrade heifers were right at the thousand pound mark. Meaty, and big bones. Everyone that walks our pasture picks out the two Upgrades first, and want to buy them. We keep those for ourselves, since we know how great they are in production!

What do you think the mature weights will be?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:By the way, this fall we weighed yearling weights for the heifers, and the Upgrades were far superior to the others. Both Upgrade heifers were right at the thousand pound mark. Meaty, and big bones. Everyone that walks our pasture picks out the two Upgrades first, and want to buy them. We keep those for ourselves, since we know how great they are in production!

What do you think the mature weights will be?

Good question. They get their weight from the broodiness, lots of rib shape and muscle. They will likely be around the 1400 pound mark as mature females. We weigh all our cows several times a year (each time we work them, including when we AI). When we AI'd the two heifers three weeks ago, they were 1040 and 1060. They are just out on pasture with the cows/pairs, no supplements. Most of our herd fits there weight wise, with their dams averaging 1350 to 1400 pounds when we weigh. Our mature Upgrade females are no larger than the others as a whole.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Have you seen heifers out of an Upgrade son?
0 x
Stocker Steve

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:44 pm

We have a heifer out of CARD Uproar that is looking pretty good but she`s only 2 months old now. She looks like she will have plenty of length to her. I will probably use him again. He`s an Upgrade out of a Dream On cow.
0 x

Ohrmundt Simmentals
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ohrmundt Simmentals » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:39 pm

We actually have a herd bull that is an Upgrade son out of a Dream On cow. Very nice looking bull. His first heifer calves will be bred as yearlings this spring. So far so good with them. I like their look and growth. We also have 1 bull calf from him also that I really like.
0 x
Can't know where your going unless you know where you've been.

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”