Best new Angus bull this year?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
GN+
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Best new Angus bull this year?

Postby GN+ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 am

Lazy M wrote:
GN+ wrote:Hard for me to say "Best" this year because they aren't proven yet, but I'm pretty excited about Magnitude. His EPD profile is pretty spectacular

https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/beef/b ... ountry/222

With all due respect, that bull should have never been left intact. He looks about as poor as his sire.

I think it depends on the objective. Sure he won't make show calves, but his combination of performance and carcass traits, along with the calving ease and docility, is pretty good.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:39 am

GN+ wrote:
Lazy M wrote:
GN+ wrote:Hard for me to say "Best" this year because they aren't proven yet, but I'm pretty excited about Magnitude. His EPD profile is pretty spectacular

With all due respect, that bull should have never been left intact. He looks about as poor as his sire.

I think it depends on the objective. Sure he won't make show calves, but his combination of performance and carcass traits, along with the calving ease and docility, is pretty good.

He may be good as a terminal sire if his numbers pan out
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 pm

The boss and I are headed to Billings tomorrow, we will be visiting three AI studs. I will let y'all know if I see anything that stands out for me.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm

jscunn wrote:Air Gator,
Sorry I didnt see your question right away.
Sydgen Black Pearl, Sydgen Rock Star, and Sydgen Wake up Call all went up on HP.

JMB Traction went way down on milk, from 50 something to 30 something.. :shock:

Oh nice, I hadn't checked his #'s since the changes, thanks for pointing that out
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks Jscunn,
I honestly had only seen numbers go down...for bulls like Sitz Dash and Connealy Thunder.

Gizmom,
Hope you are having fun. Hope the bulls haven't all been sent home for summer vacation.

Any thoughts on Connealy Legendary and Connealy Century...anyone??
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 am

Air Gator

Their were a lot of Bulls on site, and we found a few we would use. We also found some that made us question why on earth would that bull be in a stud! Out of the Bulls we looked at I would guess 1/3 if that were actually good enough to be standing at stud. We saw some Bulls that looked great until you got to their feet and saw the low heel or the curl in the toe. We had a good day looking at Bulls, I am glad we got the opportunity to see them in person.

Gizmom
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:12 pm

gizmom wrote:Air Gator

Their were a lot of Bulls on site, and we found a few we would use. We also found some that made us question why on earth would that bull be in a stud! Out of the Bulls we looked at I would guess 1/3 if that were actually good enough to be standing at stud. We saw some Bulls that looked great until you got to their feet and saw the low heel or the curl in the toe. We had a good day looking at Bulls, I am glad we got the opportunity to see them in person.

Gizmom

A lot Angus bulls out there with bad feet. Breeders to worried about the numbers and don't care if they can walk. Feet are the first thing I look at now when looking to buy an Angus bull.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:48 pm

gizmom wrote:There were a lot of Bulls on site and we found a few we would use.

Willing to share a couple names of the bulls that caught your eye?
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:24 pm

SOB

I listed the ones I liked on the big adventure thread. Keep in mind I listed some that I wouldn't use, but not because I saw anything wrong with them but because it would be veering to far from the genetics that I try to stick with. There were also some Bulls that we missed they were on the opposite end of the pen, and we were getting tired, so just because they aren't on my list doesn't mean I didn't like a certain bull I might not have seen that particular bull. I took notes on all the Bulls I actually looked at. It was a long day of bull looking for sure.

You can go to the Origen site to see a list of all the Bulls on site this week.

Pm me if you want info on a particular bull.

Gizmom
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks, just saw your other posting update on the bulls.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:56 am

We will Be touring Strommen Ranch on Monday then SAV on Tuesday then start making the treck home. Calving is due to start early Oct which means we will get some late Sep calves. All good things must come to an end it's getting close to the end of the adventure!

Gizmom
0 x

tnfarmboy67
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tnfarmboy67 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:49 pm

GN+ wrote:
Lazy M wrote:

I like him to, and have had semen ordered for a month, but I also like his sire.
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Which one you think is a better on a EPD basis.. Yes of course it is a loaded question.. :D :D
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Somehow I lost a post...I think the numbers look great but when I looked at the photos Sydgen Fate got my attention.
I would like to see some photos of Wake Up Calls' calves..but Fate has some eye appeal.
He looks like Barstow Cash...almost. It seems like Wake Up Call earned his wings the hard way...he must be pretty fertile to have 200 natural calves. I also want to use 7 &7 because of his docility and fertility.
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Fate is a bull that his EPDs have gotten better as his proof has come in. I havent used any Fate, but used his sire Trust a bunch. Really happy with Trust daughters.. Good productive cows. I rummaged around and found a picture of Wake I took when I saw him a couple of years ago. Plus one decent picture of a young Wake daughter here and the last picture will be a weaned Wake heifer that a neighbor bought recently.

Wake Up Call

Wake Up Call 2 yr old with baby calf

Same heifer as a yearling

Wake weaned heifer calf

That is all I have in pictures. Looking forward to this fall when we get a few more calves.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”