Broadway AI bull.

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Broadway AI bull.

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:39 am

Anyone else have pictures of Broadway calves with excessive chrome?
Broadway's calves look good but some don't look like a Simmental should color wise. Select Sires needs to look into this bull a little closer.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Broadway AI bull.

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:43 am

I had one last fall. It was not marked like that. Got 2 coming in about a month. My concern is more related to how his EPDs tanked.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Image

Broadway's calves look good but some don't look like a Simmental should color wise. Select Sires needs to look into this bull a little closer.

What was the dam to that calf? We got a painted up one like that few years ago on a solid black mating. Bull's sire tho was a spotter, good ole Lucky Dice.

I own the full brother to Broadway. We bought him from Hook's this year. So far I'm impressed with weight he has maintained and his aggressiveness to breed. I got him cleaning up 29 head as a yearling and he is I'd say at this time deeper and soggier than Broadway. Find out next spring what happens. I love his temperament too.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:52 pm

stein x ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Till-Hill wrote:

What was the dam to that calf? We got a painted up one like that few years ago on a solid black mating. Bull's sire tho was a spotter, good ole Lucky Dice.

I own the full brother to Broadway. We bought him from Hook's this year. So far I'm impressed with weight he has maintained and his aggressiveness to breed. I got him cleaning up 29 head as a yearling and he is I'd say at this time deeper and soggier than Broadway. Find out next spring what happens. I love his temperament too.

Do you know any background on the dip in Broadway's calving ease numbers? I noticed that ASA just released their new EPDs for the year. Broadway improved some on CE but is still a 1.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

stein x ?

Bred to a Simmental cow. I posted another picture awhile back of another Broadway heifer that had a lot of chrome on one of Ravens show threads, I think.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:

Do you know any background on the dip in Broadway's calving ease numbers? I noticed that ASA just released their new EPDs for the year. Broadway improved some on CE but is still a 1.

I don't keep up with Broadway he was a wasted experiment. Out of 10 calves none were of the quality to sell as bulls or replacements for one reason or the other. One heifer is being shown she has lot's of chrome in mostly the right places. And three steers are going into the Georgia beef challenge and heading to Iowa on a retained ownership program. AIso thinking about using a couple of the heifers as donor cows, should be heavy milkers.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:What was the dam to that calf? We got a painted up one like that few years ago on a solid black mating. Bull's sire tho was a spotter, good ole Lucky Dice.

I don't keep up with Broadway he was a wasted experiment. Out of 10 calves none were of the quality to sell as bulls or replacements for one reason or the other. One heifer is being shown she has lot's of chrome in mostly the right places. And three steers are going into the Georgia beef challenge and heading to Iowa on a retained ownership program. AIso thinking about using a couple of the heifers as donor cows, should be heavy milkers.

I only had the one. I had already bred the two due in September (cannot believe that is only 20 days away) when Fire Sweep warned me not to use him as there was some calving issues coming down the pike.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 am

Broadway never really appealed to me very much. Ron hopefully they'll come alright and make good cattle.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:What was the dam to that calf? We got a painted up one like that few years ago on a solid black mating. Bull's sire tho was a spotter, good ole Lucky Dice.

I think I'm reading your post wrong. You don't like the bull and none of them were replacement quality but your going to flush some Broadway heifers?
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:49 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:

I heard a bunch of people used him on heifers right out of the gate. Never safe IMO to use a virgin untested bull on heifers. You have no idea on his actual calving ease. I think there was some problems using him on heifers. Cows has been very few issues. I do believe he will come back to some more respectable numbers after a few more crops.

My full brother is 9.0 CED and -.03 BW, you would think his numbers would have tanked too if it wasn't just a bad contemporary group or two on Broadway.

I've heard of some outstanding calves so far this year in my area, most people going to use him again. I don't believe he is the best bull in the breed my any means. Used in right situation I think he will work nicely.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am

Till-Hill wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I heard a bunch of people used him on heifers right out of the gate. Never safe IMO to use a virgin untested bull on heifers. You have no idea on his actual calving ease. I think there was some problems using him on heifers. Cows has been very few issues. I do believe he will come back to some more respectable numbers after a few more crops.

My full brother is 9.0 CED and -.03 BW, you would think his numbers would have tanked too if it wasn't just a bad contemporary group or two on Broadway.

I've heard of some outstanding calves so far this year in my area, most people going to use him again. I don't believe he is the best bull in the breed my any means. Used in right situation I think he will work nicely.

That information is worth its weight in gold. I have 7 straws left and I know Fire Sweep has some. I will let you know how my two calves are. Thanks
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I don't keep up with Broadway he was a wasted experiment. Out of 10 calves none were of the quality to sell as bulls or replacements for one reason or the other. One heifer is being shown she has lot's of chrome in mostly the right places. And three steers are going into the Georgia beef challenge and heading to Iowa on a retained ownership program. AIso thinking about using a couple of the heifers as recip cows, should be heavy milkers.

Recip cows is what I we had in mind. As you can see in the picture of the Broadway heifer that I posted she's a nice heifer just has to much white and white in the wrong places. Never had any calving problems with Broadway and he was used on a couple of heifers.
Last edited by True Grit Farms on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Gotcha!
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 am

Till-Hill wrote:Gotcha!

Till-Hill

I was looking at Broadway's statistics. I think with more data points, his numbers are going to go back toward a calving ease bull. I think you might have hit it big getting his full brother at a discount.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”