Broadway AI bull.

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Broadway AI bull.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:44 pm

I'd suggest buying some Broadway semen if you like him.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I'd suggest buying some Broadway semen if you like him.

I have 7 straws. All three that I have used from the cane have stuck. I held off because the numbers tanked last year. Perhaps, the drop in numbers is due to factors that will be mitigated. I probably will not buy more until I see the two calves I have comimg in September. I will try to remember to post them on this thread.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:Gotcha!

Till-Hill

I was looking at Broadway's statistics. I think with more data points, his numbers are going to go back toward a calving ease bull. I think you might have hit it big getting his full brother at a discount.
I hope so and I hate to tell you what I paid for a full brother to a $61,000 bull. Tom Hook and the staff he has along with the new partners in his deal folks you can't go wrong.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Image

Anyone else have pictures of Broadway calves with excessive chrome?
Broadway's calves look good but some don't look like a Simmental should color wise. Select Sires needs to look into this bull a little closer.

Missed this thread while I was away...
First, that is a decent looking heifer Grit. Can you get a better side shot of her? That chrome would not scare me at all, and in fact she would likely bring good money out here for that chrome. Is she registered? Care to share her reg number if so?

AFA Broadway, I have had two calves, both out of heifers. The first one was only 47 pounds, and normal gestation (too small for me), and he had a full white face (out of a solid black cow). The second one was 72 pounds, solid black bull calf. We have several more coming this fall, and I am looking forward to them. Yes, the has thrown some chrome. A friend of mine had a set of bull twins marked up just like yours out of him. Bulls are hard to sell with that much, but heifers are easy.
Because of his EPD's, I am not buying more semen YET. I want to wait and see how they change.... But I still have a few straws left.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Anything with that much white would be destined for the feed bunk.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:Anything with that much white would be destined for the feed bunk.

It is, isn't that what all registered breeders should do?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:Anything with that much white would be destined for the feed bunk.

It is, isn't that what all registered breeders should do?

Why is a female with that much white "destined for the feed bunk", by registered breeders? Don't we remember what Simmental's started out as? Why is it different if a female is black and white?
1 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am

Because todays goal is to get away from that of old. Uniformity sells. Start keeping a herd of spotted cattle and accept the stein discount.
1 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:28 pm

I had talked with Ed Schmidt (herdsman at Hook's) this spring, and he said they didn't have any problems. However he was informed of a breeder that had two cut out and had a couple hard pulls. The white marked heifers are easier to sell for the people who are looking for a show calf in this area. Breeders don't usual buy them and bulls are hard to sell as well.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Franke wrote: a breeder that had two cut out and had a couple hard pulls.

Calving ease is sooo overrated. :roll:
0 x

Bird
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bird » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:59 pm

SoB, you don't put much stock in calving ease? Just curious what you look at to gauge how they may calve?
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:58 am

Son of Butch wrote:

SOB, I just looked up Broadway's progeny report. Has over 500 calves registered in 2 calf crops. How many calves did he sire to that were not reported/registered? If they was only 2 deads and a couple hard pulls I'd take them odds.

I'm in no way saying he is the best bull in the breed. I just think people over look some things.
Like I said before people jump the gun on these young unproven bulls and use them on heifers. The ones that turn out to be heifer bulls they get along fine. The ones destined to be cow bulls it's a train wreck. As a Simmental guy myself I find using an Angus bull most of the times to be a better option pedigree wise. Not many Simmental bulls without any Legacy/Shear Force in them that are bet the ranch heifer bulls.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:33 am

I had my fill of pulling freakin' huge simmental calves back in the '90s
I guess if one guy has a couple of hard pulls and only had to cut out 2 well that qualifies as simmental calving ease.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:42 am

Till-Hill wrote:Not many Simmental bulls without any Legacy/Shear Force in them that are bet the ranch heifer bulls.

Used a "calving ease" AI Simi bull on wf heifers this year. Had a lot of problems that were covered in another post. Will not repeat that mismatch. Had used Graduate previously, and he threw snaky calves that required no assists.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Till-Hill wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:

SOB, I just looked up Broadway's progeny report. Has over 500 calves registered in 2 calf crops. How many calves did he sire to that were not reported/registered? If they was only 2 deads and a couple hard pulls I'd take them odds.

I'm in no way saying he is the best bull in the breed. I just think people over look some things.
Like I said before people jump the gun on these young unproven bulls and use them on heifers. The ones that turn out to be heifer bulls they get along fine. The ones destined to be cow bulls it's a train wreck. As a Simmental guy myself I find using an Angus bull most of the times to be a better option pedigree wise. Not many Simmental bulls without any Legacy/Shear Force in them that are bet the ranch heifer bulls.

That is reasonable and the matings where the difficulty occurred could be related to the cow family.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”