EPD's are BS

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: EPD's are BS

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:32 am

Gizmom is right!! Chasing numbers in any breed is bad for your own business.
and if you creep your calves, you are adding the inaccuracy of the milk EPD's, unless like in the Simmental breed, you can use a different code for creep fed, bottle fed, different pastures, etc.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 am

kilroy60 wrote:I've a neigbor who is big time in registered black angus. He bought a high dollar bull from out west a couple of years ago - EPD's were out of the roof for being so good. Long story short, now this bull's epd is no longer top in the bull market. And, most of his herd now is much lower in epd value since american angus readjusted numbers. He now knows why several big time ranches had complete dispersals last year and early spring this year. It does make you wonder how and why some of the ranches sold all they had which had great epd values but are now nothing special since the adjustment.

Timing is everything!
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Gizmom is right!! Chasing numbers in any breed is bad for your own business.
and if you creep your calves, you are adding the inaccuracy of the milk EPD's, unless like in the Simmental breed, you can use a different code for creep fed, bottle fed, different pastures, etc.

Red Angus have the same options for feeding when you submit weaning data
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VirginiaCattle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 am

Midtenn wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:A top 10% bull is still a top 10% bull epds are for comparing individuals to each other or vs breed average use the
% ranking. $W and $B are also affected by the drop in beef prices vs year ago or whenever your bull book was published.

Incorrect statement you put there. The top 10% milk bull I mentioned "VAR generation"' , is no longer a top 10% bull. I'm not talking about dollar values at all. A pound of milk weighs the same every year ....a pound.
I would have never considered using this bull last spring, but now he's at the top of my list, a list in which I have very little confidence...

Maybe the milk EPD isn't what you think it is. The Milk EPD is measuring milk and mothering ability of the bull's daughters but it is expressed in pounds of calf weaned. So a "pound of milk" is actually a pound of calf.

The bull you are referencing is relatively young and is just now having daughter records start to come in. Combine that with the move to single step and the other changes made in July and you can expect a large change.

Going forward single step should smooth out the large jumps we have seen with recalibrations.

If you are selecting heavily on Milk, CED, and $EN then you might consider using only older bulls that have a lot of daughter records.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”