AI sire pics

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

AI sire pics

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:04 am

Going to breed my heifers to:
1. Comrade
2. Black Granite
3. Hoover Dam
4. Answer 71
This is my first year of AI and first year breeding registered heifers. I have a trusted AI tech.. but was wanting to know if anyone has pictures of weaned calves/replacement heifers/breeding bull sons from any of these sires?

Next year, will see how calves do from these sires, but would also love to breed them to Bruiser or Substantial. Cleaning up with an Absolute son, otherwise I'd be using Absolute as well. I've found a few pics of Bruiser sons, but they have been babies. Saw a handful of Substantial sons in person (thick tanks)

Thanks in advance.
0 x

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: AI sire pics

Postby Warrior2154 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 am

I don't have any pictures but have seen calves from first 3 sires. I've used those 3 as well. Black granites are good, moderate docile and grow decently. Comrade come easy and grow some. I love Hoover dam, use him as much as we can each year in our commercial herd. Purebred we are using his son Niagara heavy and going to sample his grandson baldridge command. HD calves are thick, grow good, docile. Females are beautiful uddered , good mommas for us.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Appreciate it Warrior. My thoughts on Comrade were that he supposedly settled heifers well. Am real excited about HD calves as one of my future bull buyers needs to add some rib to cattle but doesn't want real heavy milkers.

Anyone else have specific feedback because they've used these sires?
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 pm

L&FAngusAcres wrote:Appreciate it Warrior. My thoughts on Comrade were that he supposedly settled heifers well. Am real excited about HD calves as one of my future bull buyers needs to add some rib to cattle but doesn't want real heavy milkers.

Anyone else have specific feedback because they've used these sires?

Have used Comrade extensively the past 2 seasons and very happy with calves. Come out small and grow well. Very hardy (knock wood). I posted some pics on an earlier thread of our spring Comrade calves. They were only a few months old then. If I get a chance will update them.
Sold a few of last years' as replacement heifers and I think everyone is pleased with them
0 x

GN+
Beginner
Beginner

Postby GN+ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:44 pm

We bred 7 heifers to Bruiser last year and got 5 calves. Commercial cows, so we didn't weigh the calves, but I would be shocked if any of them were over 70 or so pounds. They came easy, came early, and had lots of vigor. The bruiser heifers are going to wean around 600 and the bulls around 700. Definitely going to use him again
1 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Here are a couple bruiser sons that I left intact. They're around 11 mos old in the pic.

This is a daughter that I really liked.

1 x

GN+
Beginner
Beginner

Postby GN+ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:24 am

This picture is from July 28th of one of our bruiser heifers being raised by a first calf heifer. No creep feed. As you can see, the performance is definitely there
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 pm

We saw Black Granite when we visited AI studs in August. He had a block on his left front hoof when we saw him

for what its worth I didn't order any semen on him.

We also saw Abundance and again for what its worth semen is ordered on him.

gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks, I have high hopes for anything I'm lucky to get bred to Comrade. Thought about using only him to breed them all this first round.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:06 am

GN+ wrote:We bred 7 heifers to Bruiser last year and got 5 calves. Commercial cows, so we didn't weigh the calves, but I would be shocked if any of them were over 70 or so pounds. They came easy, came early, and had lots of vigor. The bruiser heifers are going to wean around 600 and the bulls around 700. Definitely going to use him again

Good to hear. Dispositions are good? Heard mixed opinions about Bruiser.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:10 am

gizmom wrote:We saw Black Granite when we visited AI studs in August. He had a block on his left front hoof when we saw him

for what its worth I didn't order any semen on him.

We also saw Abundance and again for what its worth semen is ordered on him.

gizmom

Gizmom: Who sells Abundance? Good all around bull? Or is he recommended if trying to improve a few certain aspects?
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 pm

L&F

I will be honest the last thing I look at when selecting a bull is the numbers. I choose bulls on genetics and phenotype then numbers. That being said his numbers aren’t bad. He has a big and I am talking really big hip and plenty of depth of body. Abundance is young but after seeing him I just had to use him. He is mighty good.

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN01408&lang=EN

Gizmom
0 x

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Warrior2154 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Gizmom,

Are you all going to use Sensation Any? Thoughts on bull?
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 pm

We saw Sensation breeding a group of heifers at Schaff he is really an exceptional young bull and I would like to use him. I love his pedigree basically he has 4136 on the bottom and Madame pride 0075 on top of his pedigree in my opinion two of the top cows in the Schaff herd. So for me he hits with pedigree, phenotype and his EPD aren’t bad. My only problem is getting the semen ordered I need to get my butt in gear.

Gizmom
1 x

GN+
Beginner
Beginner

Postby GN+ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm

L&FAngusAcres wrote:
GN+ wrote:We bred 7 heifers to Bruiser last year and got 5 calves. Commercial cows, so we didn't weigh the calves, but I would be shocked if any of them were over 70 or so pounds. They came easy, came early, and had lots of vigor. The bruiser heifers are going to wean around 600 and the bulls around 700. Definitely going to use him again

Good to hear. Dispositions are good? Heard mixed opinions about Bruiser.

All of ours are very gentle. However, I have been around just a few that were kind of alert. Not crazy but knew you were there. Maybe not a bull to fix a bad one, but should be fine on a decent tempered one
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”