Top Bulls for Females

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
bse
GURU
GURU

Re: Top Bulls for Females

Postby bse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Used some sexed, in the spring, and a few single shots here and there. I got along well with it, may wind up a disaster in Dec. But they tell you to wait a little longer with it before breeding 18 hrs seemed to work so far.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 pm

I've usually had real good success with sexed semen. The key for me has been breeding on natural heats rather then using timed AI or some synch protocol. We also now inseminate somewhere around 16 to 20 hours or so after observing standing heat based on the new recommendations. I have a small herd, so observing natural heats is fairly easy as long as I am home part of the day, but this year we bred six (4 cows and 2 heifers) using female sexed semen obtained from ST Genetics. Five of the six conceived on the first try, and the one that missed (a heifer) took on the second try. I think that is a great conception rate and I continue to be happy with sexed semen.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Luckiamute wrote:I've usually had real good success with sexed semen. The key for me has been breeding on natural heats rather then using timed AI or some synch protocol. We also now inseminate somewhere around 16 to 20 hours or so after observing standing heat based on the new recommendations. I have a small herd, so observing natural heats is fairly easy as long as I am home part of the day, but this year we bred six (4 cows and 2 heifers) using female sexed semen obtained from ST Genetics. Five of the six conceived on the first try, and the one that missed (a heifer) took on the second try. I think that is a great conception rate and I continue to be happy with sexed semen.

That's a really strong success rate. 5/6 is a homerun in my opinion.

Which sexed semen are you using if you don't mind me asking.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:32 pm

Connealy Concord and MGR Treasure.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:33 pm

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:
Luckiamute wrote:I've usually had real good success with sexed semen. The key for me has been breeding on natural heats rather then using timed AI or some synch protocol. We also now inseminate somewhere around 16 to 20 hours or so after observing standing heat based on the new recommendations. I have a small herd, so observing natural heats is fairly easy as long as I am home part of the day, but this year we bred six (4 cows and 2 heifers) using female sexed semen obtained from ST Genetics. Five of the six conceived on the first try, and the one that missed (a heifer) took on the second try. I think that is a great conception rate and I continue to be happy with sexed semen.

That's a really strong success rate. 5/6 is a homerun in my opinion.

Which sexed semen are you using if you don't mind me asking.

Connealy Concord and MGR Treasure.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 am

Luckiamute did you use Treasure before the number changes in the AAA? I was gonna use him but changed to Legend. Think Treasure will still work in a lot of situations
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 am

BSE, have you had any hit the ground with Legend yet? I was thinking about using him. I was also thinking about Raindance.

I too looked at Treasure but backed up off the new numbers.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:00 am

bse wrote:Luckiamute did you use Treasure before the number changes in the AAA? I was gonna use him but changed to Legend. Think Treasure will still work in a lot of situations

I had purchased the semen from Treasure (and Concord) early last spring, so it was before the AAA EPD numbers changed. I couldn't believe that his Milk EPD went from +30 to +14. 30 is a little high for me, I usually look for bulls with milk EPDs in the low to mid 20s because that is what seems to work for me, so +14 is a little low and concerning. I guess we'll see what happens when his daughters go into production if they are worthy at that time. He also has a little too much growth for me in terms of EPDs now, though his numbers were on the high end to begin with. His calving ease/birth weight EPDs did improve if you're looking for additional calving ease; I guess I wouldn't hesitate to use him on heifers now.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:26 pm

I honestly don't know how reliable the "new" epds are. I think it's going to be a while before the dust settles on those numbers. I think you can have an idea based on what you know about the bulls in a pedigree for a start. I am always skeptical about young bulls calving ease epds...I'm glad I didn't use Var Discovery when he was a +14 CED. He's now a +4. I hope to use the bull because I have heard great things about him...just wouldn't want to try him on a heifer. It seems like it would be better for most bull owners to have a lower milk epd when it comes to selling to commercial breeders, so I wonder if that is why some milk epds are so low?
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Air gator wrote:I honestly don't know how reliable the "new" epds are. I think it's going to be a while before the dust settles on those numbers. I think you can have an idea based on what you know about the bulls in a pedigree for a start. I am always skeptical about young bulls calving ease epds...I'm glad I didn't use Var Discovery when he was a +14 CED. He's now a +4. I hope to use the bull because I have heard great things about him...just wouldn't want to try him on a heifer. It seems like it would be better for most bull owners to have a lower milk epd when it comes to selling to commercial breeders, so I wonder if that is why some milk epds are so low?

Good points all around. I sometimes wonder how accurate and "honest" these EPDs are. Seems like the breed associations are constantly changing how they're calculated. I know most of the cows in my Angus herd took a hit when the new EPD calculations came out in July. I had one 6-year-old cow whose YW EPD when from +90 to +68. And she constantly weans and produces my largest calves in terms of weight at a year of age. Go figure?
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”