AI and ET Costs

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

AI and ET Costs

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 pm

I've been reading and thinking quite a bit about giving the artificial route a try this next year.

I've searched the forums but haven't found what I'm looking for.

All said and done, what do you all have in getting a cow pregnant through AI.

I am also interested in giving ET a try.

Thoughts and opinions are very much welcome.

It seems to be the best route to get new genetics on our farm.

Thanks in advance.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: AI and ET Costs

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm

AI is inexpensive. Take a good class, buy a tank and get a few canes of the bulls that fit your needs. The whole set up can easy be done in the 1500 $ range with 3 canes of semen. Much cheaper and convenient than buying or growing a bull. Plus saving the time and facilities managing a bull.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:22 pm

That's what I've been thinking as to bulls.

I'm uninformed to the whole thing. Is the cane the rod thing used to insert the semen?

What about if I wanted to pay a tech to come out to perform service? Would I be throwing away a lot of $?
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm

For a tech, depending on number of head and distance around $60 per head should cover everything using $20 semen. That will be all sync drugs and 2 trips to set them up 1 trip to breed.
If you go to school and sync them it will cost $16 for repro things needed+$20 for semen so $36 per head. On natural heat $20 for semen.
Semen can cost more!! $20 will get you a good bull
E T $60 a head to put them in + 16 for sync drugs to set up recipe, $76 per head to get it done, the embryos you can pay as much as you want id figure $250 for some decent embryos.
Cane holds the semen in the canister in the tank.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm

ClinchValley wrote:That's what I've been thinking as to bulls.

I'm uninformed to the whole thing. Is the cane the rod thing used to insert the semen?

What about if I wanted to pay a tech to come out to perform service? Would I be throwing away a lot of $?

The tank I have holds 6 canisters. A cane is placed in a canister. Each cane has 2 goblets. Upper and lower. Each goblet has 5 straws.

In my opinion, you will want to do it yourself. That way you can do it on natural heats and if you have less than 20 cows, you can easily get them bred by your own hand.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Just keep in mind that not all AI's take. There will be some percentage that don't go through the first time or even the second...

That's why most places have a cleanup bull but to each their own.

Also, if you are a registered guy it is much better to have them synced. Just my opinion.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm

"Also, if you are a registered guy it is much better to have them synced. Just my opinion."
Not sure the relevance of that statement - PB vs commercial??? Getting cattle bred timely, matters, no matter what your cows are???
The only difference I can see, is TIME of the producer. Some people absolutely cannot devote time into heat checking, which is the most important part of getting cattle AI bred. In that case, you are better off using a synchronizing program, as mentioned.
Granted, a lot of commercial producers do not AI.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Sync them all together and then breed the one's that don't take on an observed heat 21 plus or minus a few days later. It's very easy to tell the one's that didn't take the first time. Catching the standing heat is the hard part to AI, a good AI tech is better than a bull at putting the semen where it needs to be.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pm

The problem with doing AI yourself is the learning curve can be expensive. I know how to AI but I don’t get a high presentage settled. The only way to get good at AI is to go in a lot of cows, but at min. 20.00 a straw cost add up in a hurry. This year since I have more time I plan to AI all the heifers as they come in heat. The older cows will be synced and Mike will breed them, he has a much better conception rate than I do, but because of that I have not got as much practice as I should have. It’s hard to jump in and AI knowing you won’t get as many settled as someone standing right beside you.
Hopefully my % will get better, heifers are easier to breed than cows and I have semen out of a bull we collected so my cost won’t be as high as it would be if I purchased from a stud. If you find you have a knack for AI it is cheaper than cost to purchase and maintain a bull. The boss had a hand injury a number of years ago that cut a tendon and damaged nerves in his hand he knows how to AI but can’t feel anything when he goes in a cow. Some folks are good at it others never get the knack. Best advice is find someone putting on an AI class in your area, check through your land grant university or extension. I know some of the AI studs also put do training. Good luck, it is really exciting when you figure out you got one bred,

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 pm

I got on the University of TN ag site and put my name on a waiting list for an AI class. Said first come first serve. Can be up to a year wait. I am going to dig some more on the net in the morning. Saw a link on UT site to select sires. Something about classes.

If anyone in the area hears of any, TN, KY, or VA it would be pretty neat to hear about it.

I really appreciate the rundown. It seems cheaper than I thought. Guess that is for run of the mill "good bulls."

Whats the deal with heifers being easier to service?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 pm

gizmom wrote:The problem with doing AI yourself is the learning curve can be expensive.

I know how to AI, but I don’t get a high percentage settled.
The only way to get good at AI is to go in a lot of cows....
It’s hard to jump in and AI knowing you won’t get as many settled as someone standing right beside you.
:nod:

The true cost of learning A.I. is often minimized for a variety of reasons.
IF do it yourself was as easy, cheap and successful as many make it out to be, you'd be seeing a lot fewer bulls sold.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

ClinchValley wrote:I got on the University of TN ag site and put my name on a waiting list for an AI class. Said first come first serve. Can be up to a year wait. I am going to dig some more on the net in the morning. Saw a link on UT site to select sires. Something about classes.

If anyone in the area hears of any, SE Kentucky or SW Virginia, it would be pretty neat to hear about it.

I really appreciate the rundown. It seems cheaper than I thought. Guess that is for run of the mill "good bulls."

Contact Select Sires. They have classes.

Robert Dragland, Lewisburg, TN
Phone: (931) 637-1103
Email: robert.dragland@southeastselectsires.com

Bob Palmore, Chapmansboro, TN
Phone: (502) 542-0284
Email: bob.palmore@southeastselectsires.com

Marcus Starnes, Greeneville,TN
Phone: (423) 329-7247 Email: marcus.starnes@southeastselectsires.com

Regarding AI of heifers. It makes no difference. Heifer or cow. I have been very successful breeding my heifers. Their cervix is smaller but the technique is the same.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

ClinchValley wrote:I got on the University of TN ag site and put my name on a waiting list for an AI class. Said first come first serve. Can be up to a year wait. I am going to dig some more on the net in the morning. Saw a link on UT site to select sires. Something about classes.

If anyone in the area hears of any, SE Kentucky or SW Virginia, it would be pretty neat to hear about it.

Contact ABS, they have schools throughout the southeast. You can get your hand around the cervix easily because it's smaller and most of the time the cervix isn't folded or twisted.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"Also, if you are a registered guy it is much better to have them synced. Just my opinion."
Not sure the relevance of that statement - PB vs commercial??? Getting cattle bred timely, matters, no matter what your cows are???
The only difference I can see, is TIME of the producer. Some people absolutely cannot devote time into heat checking, which is the most important part of getting cattle AI bred. In that case, you are better off using a synchronizing program, as mentioned.
Granted, a lot of commercial producers do not AI.

We are commercial for sure. But was thinking through ET we could get something different going.

I don't really see the point in not synching them. Seems it would make life a lot easier.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Raven and Grit, thanks a bunch.

Thanks to all y'all.
2 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”