Angus Sires Changing of the Guard

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus Sires Changing of the Guard

Postby torogmc81 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:53 am

Lazy M wrote:Think it would be interesting if a list was made of total semen sales rather than registrations. Then the commercial cattle operations would be factored in instead of just the seedstock operations.

Agreed. Hoover Dam, Prophet, Rampage, and many others would have a big jump in numbers. I would think semen companies releasing anything more than their top 5 would do more harm than good. I don't think they want to give away that a bull they pushed hard in marketing didn't meet expectations. I could be completely wrong on that angle .... someone might know different?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:11 am

We purchased a bred heifer, daughter to RB Tour of Duty and I have an confirmed heifer ET out of RB Confirmed. This is the first RB we've been a part of. I am extremely excited for this future ET calf. I know he isn't on the top 25 but he's pretty snazzy.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:41 am

when TOD came on the scene his numbers were crazy high, everybody had to have it, when the true numbers came out he flopped, still ok numbers but not the greatest bull ever. so last year they had all these TOD calves they really don't want to go commercial so lots of regitrations!!!! next year id bet he wont make the top 25.
Theres 1 bull in the top 25 at $20, 7 at $25, 7 at $30, 7 above $30, 3 unavailable
Now a question for those that want to know total semen sales, if you knew that this bull 18594249 was the very top seller( just first $20 bull I came to)would it sway you to use him??? Commercial folks usually go for a lower price with growth more terminal...
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Just my observation, but I think the changing of the guard so to speak happens very often. There are always new up and coming highly promoted bulls especially with the heavy reliance on AI within the Angus breed. A few years back, bulls like Final Answer and In Focus were heavily used and for several years were on that list at or near the top. Over time sons of those bulls as well as other new ones came on the scene, and also semen supply can get scarce are some reasons that the lists fluctuate. With age and information recorded from progeny, EPD changes can influence demand for semen sales as well.
I remember a few years ago, some SAV bulls were heavily used like Final Answer, Net Worth, Bismarck. Then seemed like Connealy was the name for while with bulls like Final Product, Impression, Consensus.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

The potential is awesome when you have such a dynamic breed full of the latest and greatest technology that is growing so fast and so full of promising young genetics. Of course, the potential to go off track is just as awesome. Now real breeders can be three or four generations into junk before they figure out they made a mistake.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Cow Pollinator,
I always look forward to your input. Are there any young Angus bulls that you really like now? They don't have to
be on the Top 25 list. Thanks. Anyone else have any young bulls they like? Listed or not..doesn't matter.
0 x

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm

There are a couple that have been recommended to me. FWIW, they were recommended as bulls to put over Gelbvieh cows.

Bar R Jet Black 5063
McConnell Altitude 3114
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 pm

They both have eye appeal and both are out of very popular bulls. That looks like one of the best Black Granite sons I have seen. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Warrior2154 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Hoover dam has been on list for a few years. He just gets it done. Love his daughters and use him heavily in our commercial herd and in purebred. We are using his son Niagara but just got our first calves by him this fall so not sure how they will turn out.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Just wondering if there was a lot of difference between him and his father C, C &7?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 am

bse wrote:There's 1 bull in the top 25 at $20 (Consensus 7229) 7 at $25, 7 at $30, 7 above $30, 3 unavailable

Now a question for those that want to know total semen sales,
if....this (random) bull (with 50% accuracy) x8594249 was the very top seller would it sway you to use him?

Yes whether people consciously acknowledge it or not the correct answer is yes.
Because it's a proven psychological fact buying decisions are influenced by the approval of others.
In addition the positive publicity would put him on the radar of many that might have otherwise overlooked him.

p.s.
By coincidence the randomly chosen bull's sire and mgs are both on the top 25 list and perhaps is the reason why
the A.I. stud chose to invest in him.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:20 am

Air gator wrote:Cow Pollinator,
I always look forward to your input. Are there any young Angus bulls that you really like now? They don't have to
be on the Top 25 list. Thanks. Anyone else have any young bulls they like? Listed or not..doesn't matter.

I'm not much help. I'm not involved with much AI work anymore and what I do is either other breeds or out of my inventory. I haven't opened a catalog in well over a year.
0 x

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Warrior2154 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Hoover dam is not as long or tall like cc&7. Docility is there for sure though.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am

Well one thing I know for sure is that SAV still sells. Just look at how Cornerstone did at their last sale.

I own progeny of 8 of the top 10. I am impartial to Black Granite and Rampage though. They have served me well.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:56 am

SAF, Do you have a Black Granite son? Post his pic if you would. Tell me about his calves and replacement heifers. I bought a son last fall, first calves on the ground. My old bull is a CC&7 son and I like him a lot, was hoping this BG son would take his place, but I'm not sure he can. Length and depth is not there I don't think, but it's early to tell on the calves. The bull himself is changing a little bit physically as he gets older, but still not the depth I want. Just trying to find any info I can out there in the real world. Idk if it's just the age difference or not, but he's a little quicker handling than my old bull as well.

sub, that top bull has some crazy numbers.

Warrior, where are the cattle, on fescue?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”