DMI EPD?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
rain dance
Cowhand
Cowhand

DMI EPD?

Postby rain dance » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Whats the difference between the DMI and the $EN epd? In my mind the dry matter intake should correlate with the EN epd but some bulls have a great $EN but a high dry matter intake.Some have a low dry matter intake but a terrible $EN. The only difference I could think of is that some genetic lines can digest forage better and the DMI is a grain based ration so they tried to show that. I think something else is going on that I'm missing though.

Also if anyone could explain the milk EPD better and how it is calculated. In my mind milk is a inefficient trait past what the calf needs to be healthy for a number of reasons. It is far more economical to just creep feed the extra growth, take the compensatory gain after the calf is weaned or let the feeder have it.However I know no one is out there milking beef cows so I'm not sure how accurate it is and how much stock I can put in the trait.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: DMI EPD?

Postby talltimber » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Interesting questions. I am interested in the answers myself.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:10 am

Send an email to Dan Moser at AAA. He'll run through it all with you.
0 x

kcarr716
Beginner
Beginner

Postby kcarr716 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:12 am

From what I can tell is the one refers to a post weaning feedlot weight gain situation whereas the other looks at consumption during lactation and calf raising activities. I would expect the two to align closer, as you suggested, but I can see where the correlation wouldn't be all that direct
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”