Flushing

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Flushing

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am

I don't know how many flush on here but I just got done with one was pretty excited with the results.

We flushed an older Basin Trojan Erica (my personal favorite on my farm) to discovery and got 4 embryos.
We flushed what is probably our best cow in a Boyd Forever Lady to Quaker Hill Rampage (female sexed) and got 8 embryos.
We flushed a Champion Hill Georgina to Bismarck female sexed semen and got 11.

We're sending two SAVs and another Champion Hill off in two weeks to flush.

Put them all in recips and am excited to see how it works. Love putting in embryos that aren't frozen as I seem to get a better hit rate.

Has anyone else done any flushing recently? I was just excited about it and what I think it will add our herds but was curious how everyone else was doing.
1 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Flushing

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 am

We'll be flushing 2 of ours this next spring. I've always been under the impression that anything from 6-8 is really exciting. So I'd say, you've done well.
1 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:20 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:We'll be flushing 2 of ours this next spring. I've always been under the impression that anything from 6-8 is really exciting. So I'd say, you've done well.

Yeah, we were pretty excited. I didn't expect much out of the Basin as she is older but I don't want to go IVF. She is just such a great cow that I wanted more progeny from her.

We're going to flush this pair again and then bring them back home. They think they can tweak a couple of things and get more out of the Forever Lady the second time around. Either way, I'm happy to get some fresh embryos.

We will of course keep buying embryos on the secondary market as well and am putting in 20 from your neighbor's here soon.

I will say the Multigen people in Kentucky were first class to deal with. I would highly recommend them.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm

I don’t blame you for being tickled with those results, I hope they all stick for you. We are scheduled to put eggs in on 1/6/18, we won’t be flushing anything that day have one being flushed on 12/5. Hopefully will have eggs from that flush to put in but I have plenty in the tank to use this go round even if she bombs. We have found that some cows just produce better eggs than others or at least they are sticking better than others by that I mean both have grade 1 eggs but the pregnancy rate of one cows eggs will be much higher than the other cow with the same grade eggs. let us know if you find that with your cows. I have no science to back it up, it could just be luck of the draw but it is something I am trying to watch.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:12 am

gizmom wrote:I don’t blame you for being tickled with those results, I hope they all stick for you. We are scheduled to put eggs in on 1/6/18, we won’t be flushing anything that day have one being flushed on 12/5. Hopefully will have eggs from that flush to put in but I have plenty in the tank to use this go round even if she bombs. We have found that some cows just produce better eggs than others or at least they are sticking better than others by that I mean both have grade 1 eggs but the pregnancy rate of one cows eggs will be much higher than the other cow with the same grade eggs. let us know if you find that with your cows. I have no science to back it up, it could just be luck of the draw but it is something I am trying to watch.

Gizmom

Quick question for you? Do you know if your Grade I eggs generally produce more bulls? It may just be what we using but out of all eggs that hit the ground all year, we had 10 bulls and 2 females. All grade 1.

When we have used some grade II's the ratio has been much more even. May just be an anomaly but was curious if anyone else had similar results.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:
gizmom wrote:I don’t blame you for being tickled with those results, I hope they all stick for you. We are scheduled to put eggs in on 1/6/18, we won’t be flushing anything that day have one being flushed on 12/5. Hopefully will have eggs from that flush to put in but I have plenty in the tank to use this go round even if she bombs. We have found that some cows just produce better eggs than others or at least they are sticking better than others by that I mean both have grade 1 eggs but the pregnancy rate of one cows eggs will be much higher than the other cow with the same grade eggs. let us know if you find that with your cows. I have no science to back it up, it could just be luck of the draw but it is something I am trying to watch.

Gizmom

Quick question for you? Do you know if your Grade I eggs generally produce more bulls? It may just be what we using but out of all eggs that hit the ground all year, we had 10 bulls and 2 females. All grade 1.

When we have used some grade II's the ratio has been much more even. May just be an anomaly but was curious if anyone else had similar results.

We received all grade 1's from our Embryo purchases and of the confirmed sex, we're running heifers. We're 3 of 5 (other 2 being unknown). This spring, we're ETing much more of our cattle. I'm very interested in others opinions or results as well.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:00 pm

I will be honest I have not looked at ratio of heifers vs bulls based on egg quality. I will go through the records to see, very good observation! I can tell you without checking records on two of the cows 6R109 we put in six eggs got 4 bulls and one heifer. 0524 put in 9 fresh eggs got 8 bulls and 1 heifer. 0524 8 frozen eggs got 4 bulls and 3 heifers. I don’t remember what grade the eggs were but will check that as well.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 pm

FWIW, I just looked through my records and we're almost 90% bulls on grade 1's but about 60% bulls on grade 2's. We are shooting for females so I may look harder into buying grade 2's if the science backs it up.

Interesting to hear others stats. I had always had a suspicion but never broke down the numbers until today.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 am

Flushed our Steel Force donor cow to Pays to Believe earlier this year and got 18 good eggs, gonna set her up and flush her again after the holidays to JF Milestone. I'm hoping for the same results.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 pm

I LOVE my Milestones. They make GREAT dams.
I was always told that the embryo's are graded on "maturity" and that the male embryos tend to be further developed than the females. No science, just what I've heard.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 pm

I always got my Milestone semen from HPF. Is there any available anywhere?
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:35 pm

We had 6 to 6 on grade ones and 2 to 1 heifers on grade two's this year. I think if the sample size is big enough it would end up 50%. Jeanne what cows did milestone work the best on you think?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:55 pm

I had quite a few Milestone embryos from a couple of my cows that HPF leased from me. One is my old Miss Power Lass, Power Stroke dam. The other was CLO Sweet Sensation, Too Red x War Diva. I have some daughters in the herd out of a couple of Black Perfector dams, and another one out of a Dream On dam.
This is Clinicque, Milestone x CLO Sweet Sensation. Class Winner at Keystone, Grand Champion at NYSF, and Supreme at several other shows. Calved about 3 weeks after this pic.

The black bull is her calf, sired by Innocent Man
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Nice calves. What is the red one? Do you have to watch the depth on the milestones?
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I always got my Milestone semen from HPF. Is there any available anywhere?

I got 5 straws from Ruble, when they dispersed. Looking forward to using it!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”