Flushing

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Flushing

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 pm

No problem with depth. He can add frame to some, but they also get the rib & depth needed.
The red calf is "Eliza". She is a Shock Force embryo calf out of my Miss Power Lass. She is an early Sept, and the black bull calf is Oct 28.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:20 am

gizmom wrote:I will be honest I have not looked at ratio of heifers vs bulls based on egg quality. I will go through the records to see, very good observation! I can tell you without checking records on two of the cows 6R109 we put in six eggs got 4 bulls and one heifer. 0524 put in 9 fresh eggs got 8 bulls and 1 heifer. 0524 8 frozen eggs got 4 bulls and 3 heifers. I don’t remember what grade the eggs were but will check that as well.

Gizmom

Debbie,

Is there a big difference in conception of grade 1 vs grade 2 eggs?

Thanks,
Clint
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am

Clint

Not if the twos are put in fresh, but you lose some % points on two’s when they have been frozen. When we flush if we have recips available we put all the two’s in and freeze the ones. Others may have different opinions on this but it is what we have found works best for us.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

That is what I have been told. Supposedly, "2's" don't freeze & thaw as well??
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 pm

I had a chance today to look at our ET list from last year to check on # of heifers on #2 eggs vs #1 and found I don't have much to compare with. We put in a total of 34 eggs last year which resulted in 25 calves, of those we had

A total of 6 #2 eggs
Two were purchased grade 2 sexed HC got one HC out of these two eggs.
4 bull calves
So five out of 6 eggs stuck.

A total of 28 #1 eggs resulted in

11 Bull calves
9 Heifer calves

This doesn't give us a lot of #2's to compare with but it sure doesn't make me think that #2 eggs give more heifers, since the only heifer I did get was out of a HC sexed embryo. We will be putting in around the same number of eggs this year so I will sure be looking at the numbers again. But I need to head to the farm for the pm breeding now so don't have time to research any farther right now. It is an idea that has me wanting to explore the possibilities.

gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I LOVE my Milestones. They make GREAT dams.
I was always told that the embryo's are graded on "maturity" and that the male embryos tend to be further developed than the females. No science, just what I've heard.

Jeanne, that's what I'm hoping for. I want to make cows with this mating and I figure Milestone x Steel Force should do it.

As for the semen.... Greg Stewart of SSC took good care of me. Of the people I talked to he was the only guy that had any.
1 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

gizmom wrote:I had a chance today to look at our ET list from last year to check on # of heifers on #2 eggs vs #1 and found I don't have much to compare with. We put in a total of 34 eggs last year which resulted in 25 calves, of those we had

A total of 6 #2 eggs
Two were purchased grade 2 sexed HC got one HC out of these two eggs.
4 bull calves
So five out of 6 eggs stuck.

A total of 28 #1 eggs resulted in

11 Bull calves
9 Heifer calves

This doesn't give us a lot of #2's to compare with but it sure doesn't make me think that #2 eggs give more heifers, since the only heifer I did get was out of a HC sexed embryo. We will be putting in around the same number of eggs this year so I will sure be looking at the numbers again. But I need to head to the farm for the pm breeding now so don't have time to research any farther right now. It is an idea that has me wanting to explore the possibilities.

gizmom

That's great info. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:40 pm

gizmom wrote:Clint

Not if the twos are put in fresh, but you lose some % points on two’s when they have been frozen. When we flush if we have recips available we put all the two’s in and freeze the ones. Others may have different opinions on this but it is what we have found works best for us.

Gizmom

Thank you for the info!
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”