Thawing semen

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Thawing semen

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Jeanne
Is there any way you can have an experienced rep there the next time your nephew breeds? To check that he is in the right spot and watch his procedure?
I took a refresher course a few years ago, and it was reassuring to have the reps put their hand in behind you and verify you were in the proper place.
Our AI this fall has been PHENOMENAL! However, our embryos have been horrible! Our recips were set up with CiDR's, which I do not like doing (I prefer natural heats). Out of 7 recips, 3 stuck. The 3 of the 4 that did not stick round one got a second embryo, and will be 21 days next week, so we will see how we did on natural heats versus forced heats. The fourth did not have a good CL, so she was rejected.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:38 pm

FS - actually, we just had lunch with the friend that taught Phil, and he was saying he would come out this spring breeding & do a few (check) Phil.
I really, really like natural heats for embryos. My vet does my implants, he charges a call fee & $10/implant. Can't go wrong. We put 5 in & 1 repeated, we put another embryo. Waiting for her to pass over.
Luckily, I have a gal (retiring) and her relieve guy that are awesome. They charge $7 per head. No call fee.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:FS - actually, we just had lunch with the friend that taught Phil, and he was saying he would come out this spring breeding & do a few (check) Phil.
I really, really like natural heats for embryos. My vet does my implants, he charges a call fee & $10/implant. Can't go wrong. We put 5 in & 1 repeated, we put another embryo. Waiting for her to pass over.
Luckily, I have a gal (retiring) and her relieve guy that are awesome. They charge $7 per head. No call fee.

That is cheap. Is your vet also a Certified Embryologist? To get the guarantee on a set of embryos, doesn't it require a Certified Embryologist?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Yes, you are correct, but my vet is not. It has never been an issue, mainly because they have been my own embryos, but I still use him on purchased embryos. He is top notch.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”