How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
SEIOWACATTLE
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:35 pm

How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby SEIOWACATTLE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:08 pm

I couldn't really find a answer to satisfy me using the search. Just wondering on average how long would you say that a cow is in standing heat? Is there a difference between cows and heifers? Its always part of the when to AI guessing game for me.
Any response is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Book says it can last up to 10 hours. At the average rate of one stand per hour. You base breeding on the time of ONSET.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:19 pm

I breed on all natural heats. I probably average 3 hours per day on heat detection. Maybe I got cows with estrus behavior dysfunction but some simply do not stand. They jump others but others don't jump them. If anyone has an answer, you have my attention. I simply let they jump for about 8 hours and breed them. So far, my conception rate is at least 80 % on first service.
0 x

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1475
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby farmerjan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 pm

In the dairy industry, when I was doing AI relief breeding, my mentor and long time Tech/teacher said that most cows would stand for an average 6-10 hours and heifers were about 4-8 hours or a little shorter than cows. We got calls and tried to do breeding on a twice a day schedule. If you see it in the morning call and we will get to it in the afternoon, see it in the aft call and you will be on the early morning list.
Honestly, I breed on natural heats also, and from when I first see them standing I will breed within 2-3 hours. If they are still showing signs, I will breed again in about 12-15 hours. Sure, it is 2 straws sometimes, but even at say $25.00 a straw, it beats missing the timing and having her come back in in 3 weeks. The bull breeds them as soon as they will stand for him, and if there are many cows to be bred sometimes they only get one or 2 shots with him.
1 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby dun » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:59 pm

0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:52 am

My 4 mth old bull calves have been very active this year and been giving a couple of my late calvers hel? this year and will be all over the cow when in standing heat which will last about 10hrs. They are young and enthusiastic and just want to shag them when in standing heat. I have one that is working more like a bull and tracks a cow if he thinks she is coming on heat and will hook up with her a good 24 hrs before the others are interested just like a bull he wines and dines her knowing very soon she be a willing partner though the others spoil the party when it is time. It does show the 2 stages of oestrus though.

Ken
1 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:57 am

wbvs58 wrote:My 4 mth old bull calves have been very active this year and been giving a couple of my late calvers hel? this year and will be all over the cow when in standing heat which will last about 10hrs. They are young and enthusiastic and just want to shag them when in standing heat. I have one that is working more like a bull and tracks a cow if he thinks she is coming on heat and will hook up with her a good 24 hrs before the others are interested just like a bull he wines and dines her knowing very soon she be a willing partner though the others spoil the party when it is time. It does show the 2 stages of oestrus though.

Ken


My bulls are only 10 weeks old but they help some. I can usually figure it out but there is usually some guess work. My misses are probably usually due to timing.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8255
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:39 pm

The AM - PM, PM - AM rule is tried and true. But, cattle don't always read the book, and they come in during the night & are done by daylight. If you are breeding your own, then (to me) best to breed ASAP, but if you are calling a tech, then they get bred that afternoon or evening.
Also, love the ones that are sleeping all morning, then at noon - 1pm, they are hot & heavy.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:The AM - PM, PM - AM rule is tried and true. But, cattle don't always read the book, and they come in during the night & are done by daylight. If you are breeding your own, then (to me) best to breed ASAP, but if you are calling a tech, then they get bred that afternoon or evening.
Also, love the ones that are sleeping all morning, then at noon - 1pm, they are hot & heavy.


Yes can be a challenge to know exactly when they started.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4442
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How Long Does Standing Heat Last?

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:38 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:The AM - PM, PM - AM rule is tried and true. But, cattle don't always read the book, and they come in during the night & are done by daylight. If you are breeding your own, then (to me) best to breed ASAP, but if you are calling a tech, then they get bred that afternoon or evening.
Also, love the ones that are sleeping all morning, then at noon - 1pm, they are hot & heavy.


Yes can be a challenge to know exactly when they started.

Ken


Ken,

I have concluded that trying to pinpoint the exact time of standing heat is an exercise in futility.
1 x


Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests