Best Angus cow maker bulls?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Best Angus cow maker bulls?

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote:
Ebenezer wrote: Tell about the sons. Full disclosure is best.

Ok, I’ll bite. What do you think is the issue with his sons. Also, what’s the title of this thread again? :D

The genetics you bring into your herd stays in your herd via the heifers you keep. Alap can sire a total void of scrotal and both testicles up to one only or OK. I do not want that in my cow herd so the title is what it is but you 'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, use the wrong maternal grandsire, I'm telling you why ... :santa: My source of the info: the late Ed Oliver. Ed loved the bull and used him a lot. Good for whomever wants that to pop back up in a generation or two.

So even for all the things that Ed loved about Alap, you’ve decided that the one anecdotal knock that Ed had on the bull is reason enough for you not to use him even though Ed went back to the well over and over? On a related note, did you know Ed well or ever see the Oliver herd? I’m sad that I never made it down there to meet him in person but glad to see his project carrying on, Alap and all.
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 am

Ebenezer wrote:
Ok, I’ll bite. What do you think is the issue with his sons. Also, what’s the title of this thread again? :D

The genetics you bring into your herd stays in your herd via the heifers you keep. Alap can sire a total void of scrotal and both testicles up to one only or OK. I do not want that in my cow herd so the title is what it is but you 'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, use the wrong maternal grandsire, I'm telling you why ... :santa: My source of the info: the late Ed Oliver. Ed loved the bull and used him a lot. Good for whomever wants that to pop back up in a generation or two.

So even for all the things that Ed loved about Alap, you’ve decided that the one anecdotal knock that Ed had on the bull is reason enough for you not to use him even though Ed went back to the well over and over? On a related note, did you know Ed well or ever see the Oliver herd? I’m sad that I never made it down there to meet him in person but glad to see his project carrying on, Alap and all.

the one anecdotal knock
A known genetic defect, not a knock. Are you willing to bring any known genetic defect into your herd? I'm not going to live long enough to get it cleared back out. Maybe you will. Have at it. Never met Ed in person but had a run of long and data/genetic type phone conversations over the years. I also sampled Alap before I knew the scoop. Passion is good. I do not set up any breeding plans based on passion. It costs too much.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:03 am

Dixie
I have not bred Resource to any heifers but haven’t had any issues with cows and the calves have not been extreme. I actually averaged the weights of all the Resource calves last year and the average was in the mid 70’s. The daughters here have been fertile breeding up as heifers then breeding back on first AI service after their first calf. I am also a fan of Recharge they come smaller we have used on heifers with no issues.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.B. » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 am

Tbrake, capitalist is fine for most first calf heifers. Calves are born pretty stout though so I wouldn’t use him in a cross breeding situation this far north. I have daughters coming with their second calf here. Good dispositioned, good mother’s, they flesh well. I used him to take a little milk out and he did that though no dry ones. He is breed average for udder quality.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Dixie2542 wrote:what are some good angus bulls that would make outstanding cows?
I've heard Hoover Dam is good and have him picked for a few but what would be some other good angus bulls?
Looking to make thick wide top, easy fleshing replacements with good temperaments. Thanks!

S Chisum at Genex $20
He makes stout, fleshy, efficient cows $EN 20 (top 5%) without giving up anything on cw 63 (top 3%)
ce 5 he's not heifer safe, but his daughters are wide with cem 14 (top 4%)
doc 24 (top 15%)
milk 20
$W 82 (top 1%)
he's an outcross to most (Alliance x Eclipse (a line bred son of Traveler 6807) x Right Time)
proven .97 accuracy
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:15 pm

gizmom wrote:Dixie
I have not bred Resource to any heifers but haven’t had any issues with cows and the calves have not been extreme. I actually averaged the weights of all the Resource calves last year and the average was in the mid 70’s. The daughters here have been fertile breeding up as heifers then breeding back on first AI service after their first calf. I am also a fan of Recharge they come smaller we have used on heifers with no issues.

Gizmom

Who have you been breeding your Resource daughters to ?
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Last year we bred all the Resource daughters to Charlo this year somewill be bred to Charlo and some to Abundance.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 am

gizmom wrote:Last year we bred all the Resource daughters to Charlo this year somewill be bred to Charlo and some to Abundance.

Gizmom

Do you pelvic measure your heifers? I would be interested in the numbers on those Charlo daughters just to know if the EPDs mean anything. Stacking CEM of -3 and -2 .... I like the bulls but that makes me nervous. No knock just curious.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Dixie2542 wrote:what are some good angus bulls that would make outstanding cows?
I've heard Hoover Dam is good and have him picked for a few but what would be some other good angus bulls?
Looking to make thick wide top, easy fleshing replacements with good temperaments. Thanks!

S Chisum at Genex $20
He makes stout, fleshy, efficient cows $EN 20 (top 5%) without giving up anything on cw 63 (top 3%)
ce 5 he's not heifer safe, but his daughters are wide with cem 14 (top 4%)
doc 24 (top 15%)
milk 20
$W 82 (top 1%)
he's an outcross to most (Alliance x Eclipse (a line bred son of Traveler 6807) x Right Time)
proven .97 accuracy

I also am a fan of him. Makes some great cows. Really no complains other than I wish I had more of them
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 am

I am surprised no one has mentioned Bushwacker. He produces some of the best cows in my herd. Great all around. And his straws are still readily available.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Leachman Bushwhacker at Select Sires 20 years ago?
ced -7 (bottom 5%)
Docility -5 (bottom 5%)
ww 27 (bottom 5%)
yw 42 (bottom 5%)
cw 4 (bottom 5%)
$F 2 (bottom 5%)
$W 24 (bottom 5%)

That Bushwacker?
if so I can't recommend when the man specifically states good temperament is high on his list.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Leachman Bushwhacker at Select Sires 20 years ago?
ced -7 (bottom 5%)
Docility -5 (bottom 5%)
ww 27 (bottom 5%)
yw 42 (bottom 5%)
cw 4 (bottom 5%)
$F 2 (bottom 5%)
$W 24 (bottom 5%)

That Bushwacker?
if so I can't recommend when the man specifically states good temperament is high on his list.

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... IGFA%3d%3d
I'd say this is the bull they're referring to. He has better epds.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Tbrake wrote:I’m curious of the fleshing ability and temporment of the capitalist daughters?
Do his calving numbers seem about right, safe to use on heifers?

Any comments on this ?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 pm

W.B. wrote:Tbrake, capitalist is fine for most first calf heifers.
Calves are born pretty stout though, so I wouldn’t use him in a cross breeding situation this far north.
I have daughters coming with their second calf here.... good mothers, they flesh well.

I thought W.B. summed it up pretty well.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 pm

cow pollinator or anyone else shed some light on ABS Maternal Index?
29AN1857 Yon Future Force Z77 ($24) 17264322 born 9/2011
(Alliance Maternal Index $318 top 4%)
ce 17
bw -1.5
acc. .85
doc 26
cem 14 (top 4%)
milk 32 (10%)
mw 10 (75%)
mh .4 (35%)
$EN -15 (85%)
$W 70 (top 10%)
$B 115 (45%)

How reliable is their Maternal Index?
How is it weighted or calculated?
Does it over emphasize calving ease or is Future Force as good of a cow maker as the index suggests?
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”