K C F Bennett Absolute

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

K C F Bennett Absolute

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm

0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Re: K C F Bennett Absolute

Postby Lazy M » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:12 pm

The last several years I've compared him and SAV Bruiser for breeding heifers. I've always chosen Bruiser because I think he has more to offer, but I have seen many Absolute calves that I like. Considered him again for this spring's group, but I think that I'll use the ABS bull Hickok instead. I also think Hickok has more to offer.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Lazy M wrote:The last several years I've compared him and SAV Bruiser for breeding heifers. I've always chosen Bruiser because I think he has more to offer, but I have seen many Absolute calves that I like. Considered him again for this spring's group, but I think that I'll use the ABS bull Hickok instead. I also think Hickok has more to offer.

https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/ ... 04,2090593
Here's a comparison of the 3 that I mentioned (the ABS site is awesome)
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info. That is a very helpful tool, I think that ABS has the best site for genetics.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm

I had not seen the ABS site in awhile that is an excellent tool. We used Absolute this year on heifers. I like both the other bulls but am a huge fan of 6106 which was a big factor in selection.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm

That Hickok bull has some pretty good numbers for a heifer bull I think. Wish I had an abs rep close by so I could try a handful of straws. My neighbor has some young calves out of boulder (only 2-3 months) they came easy and seem to be growing well.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 pm

This is a link to a previous thread. Absolute seems to produce calves that come early and small.
As Gizmom stated....he has a nice pedigree with Final Answer and 6106.
LIke his SC epd, his CEM is a little lower than I would like, and his milk is below average. So, if you have a heifer with heavy BW and a lot of milk...this would be a bull to consider.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105367
0 x

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Lazy M wrote:
Lazy M wrote:The last several years I've compared him and SAV Bruiser for breeding heifers. I've always chosen Bruiser because I think he has more to offer, but I have seen many Absolute calves that I like. Considered him again for this spring's group, but I think that I'll use the ABS bull Hickok instead. I also think Hickok has more to offer.

https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/ ... 04,2090593
Here's a comparison of the 3 that I mentioned (the ABS site is awesome)

That's a pretty nice feature ABS has on their website. Neat to see the three photos side by side. Bruiser has bone. Absolute has length. Hickock has both, plus a straight back and I like the hump. I like hickock a lot but in the long run when accuracy level comes up I don't think he will compare with absolute for calving ease if that's what youre after. We'll see I guess.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Biggest problem for Hickok is that there are so many sons of 7229 around.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

I have only had very limited experience with calves from this bull, and was very excited to try him as his sire Final Answer was one of my favorite bulls for a while. AI'd 2 registered Angus heifers to Absolute, both conceived and calved easily with small lively calves, a bull and a heifer. As the calves grew became very disappointed in their dispositions. Both were sold at weaning as feeders. Other calves by other bulls were very calm, and in years after that calves from the mothers of those two and other sires were calm as well.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Absolute's epd for docility was +34 in the spring 2015 ABS beef catalog. It's +18 now.
0 x

LSAngus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby LSAngus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm

I've been satisfied with Absolute. Never used a lot of him and only have 3 daughters in production but you can do a lot worse in my opinion. The calves didn't blow me away with style but they sure grew well. Fairly moderate framed. All 3 daughters have nice udders as of now(their dams have good udders as well). Sold some daughters to a customer and they appear to be good uddered and pretty fleshy there too. I think he is a good enough bull. I went away from him largely because of fat epd. 0 disposition concerns here though. And as far as the decrease in DOC EPD from 34 to 18, the recalibration this summer changed EPD averages a lot on certain traits.
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”