Fixed Time Artificial Insemination vs Split Time

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
sideshow
Beginner
Beginner

Fixed Time Artificial Insemination vs Split Time

Postby sideshow » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Just wondering if there are any new protocols out there with higher success rates. What protocols have you tried and what was your success rates?

Going to try 14 day cidr, 16 days later shot of PG, 66ish hours later ai everything with a rubbed off patch no GnRh, 24 hours later ai everything that didnt have patch rubbed off and give those GnRH
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Re: Fixed Time Artificial Insemination vs Split Time

Postby bse » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 am

Great protocol for heifers not so much on cows, id use gnrh on everything, to much time and money involved to let $2 stop even 1 pregnancy.
With that protocol they will have a mild heat after removing cidr, don't breed then, just not a very fertile heat.
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 am

We use 7 day CIdr protocol for heifers and cows. Breed cows 62-63 hours post cidr pull and heifers 54 hours post cidr pull. Works well for us as well as others I know of.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm

We did a 14 day cidr on our heifers with similar protocol. Out of 166 cidrs, we only had 3, yes 3... heifers not show heat in that window. Well over half of these would be our 2nd calf heifers. We hope they all stick! We were extremely pleased so far.
0 x

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 am

I’m going to have to consider this 14 day sync as an option. Sounds like its very successful.
I use the 7 day Cidr protocol with great success. Occasionally I’ll leave the Cidr in 10 days instead of 7 if I’m pushing a short time post calving. Have had fantastic results.
I also am a firm believer in using GNRH on everything. I agree with Bse completely.
We run in the high 90% for first breeding conception yearly.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:11 pm

MRRherefords wrote:We use 7 day CIdr protocol for heifers and cows. Breed cows 62-63 hours post cidr pull and heifers 54 hours post cidr pull. Works well for us as well as others I know of.

we did this this year on heifers and the group at my house we settled 6 out of 8 first service....bull got one and one never bred...

did the cows at the longer interval as above and while I don't have numbers in front of me they went pretty well....neighbor was happy.

my cows I used the Michigan G6G and did pretty well. I messed up one by using sexed heifer semen on a bull producer and she recycled so i bred her 2nd time with regular semen and she is pregnant carrying a bull.
2 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”