Flush to whom?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 pm

We purchased a bred heifer last October. EPD’s were minimal but we stole her for a good price.

Once she calved, we pulled blood and sent for testing. She’s a Tour of Duty daughter and we thought we’d be okay after looking at sire/dam EPDs although dams were minimal too.

So, we want to flush her cuz she’s pretty but didn’t want to, till we got results of genomics back. We’ve exhausted most our semen inventory. So we’ll order whatever.

We want good females but a nice bull is good too. She’s smooth. Beautiful. Screams female!

If you could breed her to anything, what would it be?
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Air gator » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:41 pm

The safe bet that would set you up with nice females is Hoover Dam. I think you would want to moderate her growth.
Not too many bulls with a 147 YW epd. I think Hoover Dam is one bull that will live on in pedigrees.
If you look there are a lot of nice bulls with semen companies that are out of Hoover Dam.

An alternative is Rampage. He has a lot of nice sons out there and sale toppers.
Her docility looks like she can handle him. Good luck with her.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Good recommendation. I’ve been pushing for Hoover in the right circumstances. I love her growth but I know it’s not favorable in females. I’d like several bulls with her EPD’s. I compared her to Epic (fave bull at moment for our operation... but from commercial aspect) and she’s pretty much neck and neck with his numbers aside from CED and BW. But I know not all that is favorable in replacements.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:10 am

I personally think Connealy black granite. That girl has plenty of growth already. I have seen some exceptional cows, and bulls out of him.
If you are breeding for carcass, there are probably a few better options. I ended up ordering some black granite for myself this fall.
0 x

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.B. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 am

As a commercial bull buyer I won’t by an et calf out of something that hasn’t raised at least 4 calves so I wouldn’t flush her yet. Breeding cattle by adding and subtracting numbers is a waste of time. There are plenty of bull of the month options that won’t amount to anything. Use a proven bull that you know what you are getting.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:04 am

I know what my first pick for fall is gonna be, Extension 18579001 an XXP son, really like my XXP's you can get sexed and make those females. He is at,ST.
I used Legend, Response, Raindance, and XML to flush with from them. If your playing numbers they may not fit.
Conventional I'd use Index from SS really like my Index's.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:13 am

What's the rest of her pedigree or reg #

Are you looking to retain all females or market some out of the flush?
1 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:06 pm

I would use resource. Just got back from out west and those resource females look very nice. He’s proven
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:26 pm

W.B. wrote:As a commercial bull buyer I won’t by an et calf out of something that hasn’t raised at least 4 calves so I wouldn’t flush
her yet. Breeding cattle by adding and subtracting numbers is a waste of time.
There are plenty of bull of the month options that won’t amount to anything.
Use a proven bull that you know what you are getting.

Bull studs do. Years ago one of one breeds all-time great sires came from a 1st calf heifer that died a month calving, everyone involved made a ton of money off him.
Hot bulls of the month bring a lot of money, so adding and subtracting numbers is far from a waste of time.
Hoover Dam isn't proven enough for you?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Tbrake wrote:I personally think Connealy black granite. That girl has plenty of growth already. I have seen some exceptional cows, and bulls out of him.
If you are breeding for carcass, there are probably a few better options. I ended up ordering some black granite for myself this fall.

We do love Black Granite! I’ll have to look at his current numbers.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:07 pm

bse wrote:I know what my first pick for fall is gonna be, Extension 18579001 an XXP son, really like my XXP's you can get sexed and make those females. He is at,ST.
I used Legend, Response, Raindance, and XML to flush with from them. If your playing numbers they may not fit.
Conventional I'd use Index from SS really like my Index's.

Will look into those!
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 pm

W.B. wrote:As a commercial bull buyer I won’t by an et calf out of something that hasn’t raised at least 4 calves so I wouldn’t flush her yet. Breeding cattle by adding and subtracting numbers is a waste of time. There are plenty of bull of the month options that won’t amount to anything. Use a proven bull that you know what you are getting.

We love going proven and wouldn’t do anything less on her.

You are aware that genomic testing is similar to having roughly 9 calves on the ground, correct? We’ve seen plenty of the bull of the months who’ve fallen flat on their face.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Hogtiming wrote:I would use resource. Just got back from out west and those resource females look very nice. He’s proven

We love our resources too! He’s one we go back to year after year! We may flush her once to him.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:12 pm

torogmc81 wrote:What's the rest of her pedigree or reg #

Are you looking to retain all females or market some out of the flush?

0 x

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.B. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:45 pm

My reasoning for not buying bulls out of cows that haven’t raised at least 4 calves has to do with all the traits that epds don’t measure. There are just way too many cows that are getting flushed who couldn’t survive in the real world let alone raise a decent calf on their own. I know I may sound old and antiquated but my reasoning is born of experience not hype and hope.

We have been having colder weather than normal and the maternal instincts to have a calf, get it up and then protect it from the wind is amazing and there are some stark differences. Flush away heck if you don’t some one else will.
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”